Pruning and topping your plant to increase yield

There are many types of advanced gardening techniques that can be utilized like topping, fimming, super cropping, low stress training and S.C.R.O.G. that the grower can use.
Pruning your cannabis or tomato plant will result in a higher yield and less pests than letting them grow wild on their own. Helping to control where your plant is exposed to light and allowing for adequate airflow under your canopy are key aspects to maximizing your yield. Knowing when, where and how to prune your plant will assist you in getting the most out of your gardening experience.

Regular maintenance
Remove any dead leaves from your plant, especially around the base near the soil line. This keeps bugs from setting in.
Remove the lower leaves from your plant. If the lower branches of your plant are not getting enough light, they will not produce much yield. Cut them off and allow the plant to focus its energy on the flowers closer to the light they need. This is often called lollipopping your plant.
When removing plant material, ensure you are using a clean sharp blade. Your plant can get sick if the cut is not clean, just like you can!

Topping Cannabis
Topping is removing the central stem at its tip, to promote the remaining branches to form 2 new central tips instead of just one. This is accomplished by cutting off the newest growth at the highest point on the plant. Done between the 4th & 5th node, be sure to use a clean & sharp blade. The removed tip is discarded and the wound left untreated. You will see the 2 remaining branches take centre stage as the two branches below them also stretch into prominence. You have now just more than doubled your yield, congrats!

The tip you are going to snip

Perfect sharp scissors

You have done well

Just toss the remaining tip

18 Likes
Should I top and remove bottom leafs
Should I start taking out the big leaves-if not, when?
Time to top and I need help
Should I add more time to late veg?
Granddaddy Purple. Trim?
Fim, top, etc
Hows it look
Mazur Kush day 30-7/14 late veg
First grows
Kandy kush
Just Started my 1st grow
First Grow Lemon Gelato
Blueberry 2 weeks into veg
Day 36 should I extend veg stage?
Burning color?
What yā€™all think day 3 gold leaf
Plant is dying! Help! [RESOLVED]
First grow, how am I doing
White Rhino (Nirvana)
Grobo trim time
First Grow - Gold Leaf
Someone please tell me my baby girl will be ok
Misadventures of the White Widow - (Ready to Top?)
When to top
Should I do anything to this banana kush or let it grow?
Awesome Grow Pictures
How would you prune this bushy Sativa?
Just transplanted from soil to my grobo (experiment)
1st timer
Brown/yellowish spots on the leaf
First Grow - Granddaddy Purp
Any thoughts/advice on my plant?
Tropicana glookies my 5th plant!
First Photo Grow
Paper towel germination
New to grobo start
Should i trim at this stage?
Curled leaves
My Pod is Dry
First grow: Grandaddy Purple Autoflower from ILGM
New grow! Strawberry Cough
First grow
Number of colas
How to make my plants taller
What do you think?
Blueberry Feminized, 1st Grow!
Help with my first grow - granddaddy purple
Sunan's first grow
Need some advice new grower Bruce banner gold leaf
Acidic bottle half empty on Day 15?
Pests problem?
Sunan's first grow
Yellow Spots on Leaf tip
Wedding Glue - Day 30 - Too short?
HulkBerry, firstgrow
Hello! Patiently wait on my grobo!šŸ„“ [UPDATE!}
Time for Topping, slow apikal growth on Day 31 (7 late veg)?
Slomoshun
Problems
Gen 2 fan and drying questions?
Sour Diesel
What can I do
Long time coming!
First grow in my new gen 2 grobo
Master kush
JoGro _Grows
GSC Late Veg 2/14
First grow OG Kush Auto
Plant is dying
White Widow Day 8 of early vegetation
FireBall's first grow
1st time grower with grobo any advise appreciated
New Life
Topping
Alexander_Smith_Grow Bruce-Banner
Hello Just bought Grobo and complete Newbie
Is my little flower sick?
New Grow (GR?)

Hey Stephen,

Thanks for sharing, I have a couple of questions! Bear with me as I am a newbie :slightly_smiling_face:

1. You mention both pruning and lollipopping. They sound pretty similar, are they the same thing? or are there distinct differences between the two?

2. Is it really this easy :smile:!?!? You also mention the ā€œ4th and 5th nodeā€ could you explain what these are please?

Thanks for your help! Awesome post, I would love to see more growing tips so I can learn as much as possible before I get my Grobo! :grin:

2 Likes

Hi Scott,

I will be sharing more tips and posting more pics here as we begin filling out the content of AG, thanks for the great questions!

1. Pruning is a general term that applies to several different techniques, some subjecting the plant to a little stress (LST - Low Stress Training like tying down a branch) and some to a high degree of stress. (HST - High Stress Training like Supercropping) Pruning is also defoliating or removing leaves or branches from the plant. Itā€™s a general term that applies to more than one simple procedure. Lollipopping is a type of pruning. You are basically defoliating the plant by removing the lower branches and leaves that are no longer ā€˜in the canopyā€™ of light. When they are small and not getting full light, you wonā€™t be happy with their final product. Often called popcorn bud, itā€™s not like the nice fat colas we are aiming for. Remove them early and your colas will thank you later.

2. Topping is really that simple, and one of the easiest and quickest ways to increase your yield. I like to top my plant after itā€™s 4th set of leaves have emerged. If you look at the plant from the side, you can count how many levels or sets of branches it has. Once I see 4 sets, I top the emerging 5th set.

Iā€™ll be adding more details about fimming, supercropping and LST soon!

Cheers!

8 Likes

Great tips, Stephen!

Iā€™m pretty new at growing anything, so I had no idea of even basics like removing dead leaves near the soil line or removing the lower leaves from the plant.

Great tips, keep the coming! Iā€™m sure Iā€™ll be using your tips a lot once I get growing.

3 Likes

Add more to this Stephen, reading up as much as I can when it comes time soon to top my plant. Could you continue more on dimming or supercropping. Iā€™ve read up elsewhere on it but it would be handy for people to see it here as well.

Just pruned ours the other day! Looks like weā€™re going to get a good yeild :grin:

Sorry, new to the boards, but I do have a q so Iā€™m laying it down here: a few of the lower fan leaves have been yellowing over the past few days ā€“ since the last water change. We also just replaced the pH sensor. Thoughts?

12 Likes

@Gooberjess3

Awesome update and glad to see you on the forum! I recently just started my grow last Saturday, Iā€™ve made a small adjustment to my coco pod depth.

Iā€™m sure someone will have some input to help to with your question! Iā€™m still a noob myself in the growing aspect so Iā€™ve only read articles as to what possibly could be taking place, but will let the Grobo team take this one!

3 Likes

Hi Jess,

Great to see you here, thanks for sharing!

Yellowing leaves can be natural, but there are several conditions that donā€™t help. Check out this article for more info on possible causes for yellowing. http://www.growweedeasy.com/why-cannabis-leaves-yellow#normal-yellow-leaves

Iā€™d rule out pH going forward, as our new solution is rock solid.

Best,
Stephen

2 Likes

Thanks, Stephen! Keeping an eye on the plant over the past few days, a few of the lower fan leaves are definitely yellowed and I wouldnā€™t be surprised if they drop, but I think youā€™re right ā€“ all looks normal to me, and other leaves are a healthy green :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Hi Jess,

Any chance you can provide us with an update of how your grow experience is coming along since we last heard from you?

Thanks!

A post was merged into an existing topic: Community Grow Photos

Looking good! If you donā€™t mind me asking, what strain did you settle on?

Thanks.

Seahawk

Purple Kush Feminized
Question: If all is well and all is green and growing is there a reason to take off the lower leaves?
I plan on topping it soon but need a little more growth.

I have some Purple Kush fem seeds from Canuk that I havenā€™t found a recipe for yet. What recipe are you using for your Purple Kush? How long until harvest? Thanks in advance.

Hi Trip23,

Iā€™m only aware of the Auto Purple Kush Fem from Canuk, is that what you are referring to? Quite different than a photoperiod dependent feminized recipe. Iā€™d use the Cannabis -Auto-Generic recipe, 71 days.

Stephen

Yes, thatā€™s the one! Also, I have from Canuk some Citrus Skunk Fem seeds. Do you have a recipe in mind for that strain? Thanks again!

Hey Trip23,

Make sure you use an auto recipe for your auto seeds! For the Citrus Skunk Iā€™d run the Cannabis-Hybrid-Generic 101 day schedule.

Stephen

1 Like

Hey Stephen,

I only have the Purple Kush seeds that are auto and Iā€™m on my first grow (WW fem from Canuk - day 12), which brings me to my next questionā€¦how do you know if itā€™s Indica or Sativa because I canā€™t tell by the description? Does it make a difference if you have one and youā€™re using the recipe for the other? Thanks again.

Hey Seahawkpi,

I see I missed responding to your pruning question. ā€œIf all is green and growing is there a reason to take off the lower leaves?ā€

It is really up to you as a grower, but I like to remove the lower growth to allow the plant to focus on the top bud nodes, not the small ā€˜popcornā€™ buds that occur in the undergrowth. This also has the effect of reducing bud infections by removing the oldest leaves and increasing the air flow under the canopy.

Stephen