Hey everyone! During my 3rd and 4th grows both plants experienced damping off. One plant experienced severe damping and the stem became very hourglass shaped. I didn’t capture of picture of her at her worst, it just didn’t seem right!
Plants are Purple Haze auto and Jamaican Dream PF.
At one point the stem was so thin it looked like one of those nearly fallen trees that had been chomped on by a beaver.
Nevertheless, quick action and care saved both plants! Check out the before and after pics:
Here’s how I addressed the damping off:
- Added fans to increase airflow. At times the fans were pointed directly at the cocopod to help dry it out.
- Raised cocopod 2-3 inches and secured it with toothpicks
- Kept plant in early vegetation (mid fill level) an extra week. Late veg fills to the High mark which could re-saturate the pod.
- Poured a cap full amount of h202 hydrogen peroxide onto the wounded area of the stem
- Poured 3 cap fulls of h202 onto the cocopod and area surrounding the stem.
- Performed a drain/fill after about 2 hours.
- Placed a makeshift splint onto the stem with a plastic straw. Also propped up the main stem with a green garden tie in the event the plant toppled over.
If your plant suffers from damping off don’t freak out! If you take appropriate action you might just be able to save your plant!