Auto-Flower question

A friend of mine is growing an auto-flower (Northern Lights) and thinks he was set back about a week figuring out the pH was too high. That’s now corrected & the plant is growing again. His question was: will this just mean, for an auto-flower, that it will flower about a week later than it would have otherwise, or does it mean it will flower at it’s “normal” time and he’ll just see a lower yield or such? Or will this go a different direction? Any thoughts from those with knowledge of such things?

5 Likes

That’s a really interesting question @Cornholio

Pinging @Stephen for help on this one. My assumption is that it would still flower at the same time regardless of issues or not; however, this could require some science experimentation to prove this theory

Regards,

Chris.

3 Likes

My theory is that the plant does not have a watch or calendar, so it’s set (as opposed to photo-period) flowering stage is probably triggered by reaching a certain stage of growth, which will occur later in this case where growth was retarded for a week or so. But that is just me trying to reason through this, not based on any expertise.

3 Likes

@Cornholio,
https://www.allgrowers.com/search?q=auto%20flower

:wink::smiling_face_with_three_hearts::herb:

2 Likes

@Cornholio,
https://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=auto+flowering+pot+plants
:wink::herb::video_camera::tv:

2 Likes

Autos do have an ‘internal clock’ that triggers them to flower. Most basically start flowering after 2-4 weeks of growth. That being said, with all of the genetic mixing of Ruderallis with sativa/indica, you will see some reacting differently than others. There are many different types of Auto Northern Lights genetics out there from several different breeders. I will sometimes see a difference of several days when pulling ripe flowers down from the same strain too. So to distil my ramblings,

TLDR;
Stress can delay an auto from auto-ing.

Stephen

9 Likes

That bottom vid was mesmerising.

2 Likes

When germinating an auto is the light suppose to be on an 18 on 6 off schedule?

1 Like

Yup, this is correct.

Stephen

2 Likes

Soon as it sprouts I’d have it on 20/4 cycle autos love that light :sunny:

2 Likes

Another feature I wouldn’t mind seeing is being able to adjust the light, for what you just said there, then we can change the time of lighting as well if 20/4 is your preference. Might not be worth their time but could be beneficial to some?

4 Likes

First auto try for me and I guess I’ll find out but when its out of the ten day germinating phase I’m assuming the lights change to something like that? I think I read 22 on 2 off…

2 Likes

All the research I’ve done all pointed me towards a 20/4 cycle for best yield

3 Likes

I’ll have to see what it does, maybe I can put a ticket in if it’s not on that schedule.

2 Likes

The only reason I think they would have it at 22/2 would be to minimize the height of the plant

2 Likes

I like ur idea @Russel_Richardson with light switching but I also think that should be part of the “recipe”. I know grobo is new and this would probably help but think it should be structured for beta testing and recipe updates, just to keep it more automated. :+1::-1::man_shrugging:

3 Likes

I think I have the same problem my first time growing I learnt how to top and lst so I did and done nothing but worry she’s under 20/4 light cycle it’s week 5 days I feel it should be much bigger then she is man just all of a sudden she’s exploding daily so I think I might be okay let me know guys ?

2 Likes

1 Like

U topped her? Normally I read that ppl don’t top autos but I have yet to try an auto so unsure :man_shrugging:

3 Likes

Typically, yeah. I mean I guess you can if you want. But look at @Stephane 's blueberry auto, pretty sure nothing was done to it and it looks fantastic

3 Likes