Seriously stupid questions in this post. Read with caution

Getting close to harvest and I see a lot of mention about this thing called a “trichome” and looking at it with the Active Eye Microscope 60X-100X to determine the right time to harvest. Same with the pistol. And the hairs.

Q1. Where do I locate a trichome? On the fan leaves? The sugar leaves? Somewhere on/in the flower?

I find a lot of youtube videos but all these videos seem to show the 100X magnification view, and they don’t tell me where to point the magnifier on the plant?

I love the detail in the weekly updates but it’s leaving a new grower feeling helpless!

Q2: How the heck does the Active Eye Microscope work?
I purchased it in the Grobo advanced growing kit. There were no instructions, and no helpful videos that come out with the weekly updates (that do mention the use of the Active Eye Microscope).

Q3: What do you do with the sugar leaves at harvest?
I found the Grobo harvest video! Awesome!! But the video abnormally cuts off at a really odd spot. Was this by accident, or was there really no more information to share? Stephen illustrated wet trimming the buds and then getting ready to dry the buds in the Grobo, but then the video stops. What do you do with the sugar leaves and what do you do with the buds? Does it ALL go back in the Grobo to dry, or do the sugar leaves not get dried? Or does it depend what I’m doing with them?

Q4: Are the pistols the same thing as the hairs?
Ok, I think I can identify the pistols… is that word used interchangeably with hair? I read that people monitor the pistols to watch that 70% of them have turned from white to brown. So, do I look at the pistols or the trichomes? Or both?

I feel dumb. I thought the Grobo was good for beginners with no green thumbs. I’m feeling lost – someone throw me a pity party?! :confounded:

-Sincerely,
Freakin out newbie

4 Likes

Question 1 : Trichomes are the crystals that form on the plant. Small resin glands present on the flower & main leaves of late-stage cannabis plant. Both cannabinoids & terpenoids are manufactured in trichomes. In order to see them you need to use a microscope or a 60x jewelers loup.

3 Likes

You might find this helpful to start.
https://www.grobo.io/blogs/grobo/25-cannabis-terms-you-need-to-know

3 Likes

Question 4: pistols are the white hairs on your flowers that eventually turn orange/red. Used to gather pollen from male cannabis plants. If you check the picture I sent you can see white crystals and orange hairs. Hang in there this site has all the info you will ever need to be successful so keep reading and keep asking questions!
P.s. I think growers check the pistol color to tell when the levels of THC/CBD are right for the picking. If your just starting you will have plenty of time before your at that stage.

2 Likes

RE: Q1:
Got it… Found them. Thank you. Easier to focus on a sugar leaf than the bud to get these kinds of images it seems.

https://photos.app.goo.gl/wB5FifzsMwkYfaba6

2 Likes

Re: Q4
Thank you. The pistols are still white so I would presume based upon this (since it’s very hard to get a good picture of the trichomes) that this is not close to being ready. Plus, the buds are OH SO SMALL.

https://photos.app.goo.gl/SuYUk7zoAh45J9td9

I’m looking for a chart to send you. Here some pics until then.

1 Like

Question 3: A lot of people may throw the sugar leaves in the garbage or save them to make edibles like gummie worms, my sister makes tonics and cooks with hers but, to each his own.
@Stephen, posted this before: Why are leaves important on my cannabis plant?

Leaves are the primary energy harvesters of the cannabis plant. Green chlorophyll helps trap the sun’s energy and transform it into vital fuel. Without healthy leaves, the plant will not be living up to its full potential. Fan leaves are the large, primary leaves on the cannabis plant. Small leaves that poke out of the cola are often referred to as sugar leaves. It is recommended to use fan leaves as a way to judge the overall health of the plant. Common cannabis ailments like powdery mildew and infestations often show their first signs on cannabis fan leaves. Carefully observing fan leaves throughout the growing process can tip off growers to pesky caterpillar bites, aphids and more. Fan leaves are the first to express signs of environmental distress. Leaves will wilt when given too much water or not enough, as well as begin to brown and curl if it has experienced nutrient burn, which may be a sign that a grower needs to lay off or flush their soil as a last resort. Many nutrient deficiencies or imbalances also present themselves in leaves. A magnesium deficiency, for example, will cause brown rust like spots on the leaves, time for a spray of epsom salt! Bottom line? If the leaves are doing something odd, the plant is struggling for some reason and it is a good time to troubleshoot.

Just more info still looking for that trichome chart.

2 Likes

The chart: Now this should help a lot!

Remember to keep asking question. This is my first time in life growing and I’m coming up on 30 days. There are more knowledgeable people on here than myself and I’m sure some of them will be adding more info for you to grow on! Enjoy!

3 Likes

RE: Question 3:
If I don’t want to throw the sugar leaves away, do they hang dry in the Grobo machine with the flower then do a dry trim? In Stephen’s harvest video, he did a wet trim, but then never went into what the next step is… Do they go in the Grobo for the dry cycle as well? Or do you just bag them up and not dry them?

I would assume you dry them my brother just let’s his air dry but I’m not positive. I Have never grown before.
Maybe try searching under harvest, sweet leaf, and drying on this site. There aren’t many people online today we can maybe ask @James he has grown before.

YouTube university is always open!

3 Likes

Thanks Tito for your input. I always try to do my own research before posting.

But I’ve checked you tube, and I find no videos that show how to harvest in the Grobo or use the magnifier that Grobo sells and/or where to put the magnifier (stem, sugar leaf, bud, fan leaf, etc). I did find one video, as mentioned… But the video ends before anything goes back in the Grobo to dry! Doh!

The video you attached is excellent!! Very educational. But it doesn’t answer any of my questions I asked lol.

1 Like

I couldn’t find anything either. Does it come with
USB cables? If not it probably just has an on/off switch and uses batteries to operate. The nobs at the top should be to tweak vision and you just hold it up to the plant to see the trichomes on the leaves or check plant for any pest or diseases. Check with the chart I provided for the trichome colors or better yet, post a good pic of your plant to the group and let us take a look. Best I can do with this question. I bought this one but I think they are all kinda hard to see with.

This is what the pics from it look like. It didn’t come with instructions either so I may not be using it right. image|690x388
I can actually see better using my iPod camera and most good pics of trichomes come from Nikon cameras.
P.s. @kirk, has the same active eye from grobo, maybe he can explain how its used.

2 Likes

Can you post pics of your plant. And where are you in the flowering stage?

1 Like

Day 89
Flowering 37/42

4 Likes

RE: Q2

I figured out the Active Eye. Doesn’t appear you can use this WITHOUT a smart phone.

You have to be VERY STEADY.

Perhaps taking a cutting and setting down for more stability until getting the hang of it is best.

Otherwise the active eye needs to be pressed directly against a leave or pistol, hold very still, try and adjust the focus, and snap a pic!

1 Like

Great pic! Your trichomes are still clear so its not ready just yet! Your getting there! :seedling::eyes:

3 Likes

@omacoder,

Read with caution

((#Trichomes)):

https://www.allgrowers.com/search?q=trichomes%20user%3Asilvergrobo

Bplatinum9 Well Done Responding… :wink::smiling_face_with_three_hearts::sparkling_heart::green_thumb:

Tito ((#LoveTheYouTubeVideo)):

:wink::smiling_face_with_three_hearts::sparkling_heart::video_camera:

4 Likes

Very good to know because I am still learning too! :eyes::pray:

2 Likes