Help with my first grow - granddaddy purple

So I’ve just started my first grow (super excited). Granddaddy Purp, which is my personal favourite.

I’ve grown previously in coco soil many years ago, AK47 and it was a successful run. However, this is my first time using a hydroponics system, let alone an automated one… however this should be straightforward right?

I’ve just got into early veg stage and noticed some issues with the leaves on the plant. They’re dropping and appear to have some brown patches appearing. My first tank of water was from the tap (but the water is fairly good here) and I’ve now switched to distilled.

My temp is between 19-24c depending on light cycle and it seems like I’m doing everything right. Not sure what’s up. Can anyone help?

There seems to be some patches on the coco pod too, not sure if that’s the lighting. I’ve included as many images as I can!

3 Likes

2 Likes

Not sure if it’s the lighting but looks strange

3 Likes

@Todd.grobo thanks for your help buddy the other day, are you able to help at all here?

3 Likes

It may be mold. Roots look good.

It could be the tap water.

How wet is the pod? I am finding that the Grobo has issues with pod placement. Once your roots hit the water, raise the pod and point a fan at it. It needs to dry out slowly :snail: and stay that way. I think once the plant is more established it won’t matter.

Just my thoughts without more information.

5 Likes

The pod is moist to the touch at the top, so that could be partly the reason that mould is developing. Just not sure what’s causing the leaves to droop is all.

How much should the pod be rising from the base, about a finger width?

3 Likes

Looks normal to me :slight_smile: Maybe raise your coco pod an inch to help dry it out in this early stage, otherwise looks good

4 Likes

- - - [2021-09.16]:

Sep 16, 8:46 AM

@Willcol1,

• (#Welcome): :wave:t4: :wink:

• (#TeamHasGotYouCovered): {:green_thumb:}:

(Click Here To Read More):

--

--

:brain:

:laughing:

• (White Is Beneficial Bacteria, -But- [Black_ :black_circle: /Green_ :green_circle:] Is Not_ :no_entry::warning:): {red_flag..~~}:

(GrowJournals): (ClickHere):

--

• (You Can Only See :eye::eye: These If They Are Made Public):

ShareYourGrow..1~~ {#Public}:

~~~

- - - [2021-10.07]:

@Willcol1,

• (Absolutely Stunning): {:sparkling_heart:}:

~~~

- - - [2021-10.12]:

@Willcol1,

YourGrowYourCall..~~ (2)

• (She’s Perfect): {:sparkling_heart:}:

~~~

- - - [2021-10.27]:

@Willcol1,

sos..1b~~

~~~

- - - [2021-11.01]:

@Willcol1,

• (You Can Bend_ :triangular_ruler: Bottom Branches To Get Some Extra Top Height): (Use Magnets_ :magnet: -Or- Drying Racks To Get Those Colas Away From The Light_ :bulb:):

~~~

- - - [2021-11.02]:

@Willcol1,

~~~

- - - [2021-11.08]:

@Willcol1,

~~~

- - - [2021-11.24]:

@Willcol1,

~~~

- - - [2021-12.13]:

@Willcol1,

--

~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~

3 Likes

Amazing @SilverGrobo thanks for the info !

3 Likes

Day 12/14 early veg

Plant is coming along nicely, looks healthy and is fanning out well.

When should I top this? I’m unsure!

5 Likes

The four big leaves at 12,3,6,9 o’clock can all come off. Let the little branches and bud sites below get some light! otherwise, she looks great, you’re going to definitely want to extend her another week.

6 Likes

Lol. I was just scrolling and found this. Cool. I’m at the same size but only in the middle of vegetation. My lower bud sites are about two inches long now. :+1:t2::sunglasses: I almost did it today. But thought it might be to early. Thank you :pray:

Looks great :+1:t2:

2 Likes

Ok done - removed. Feels a bit strange though, did I get the right ones?

Also by an extra week, presumably you mean extend this current veg stage?

4 Likes

Maybe I got a bit excited, but potentially think I chopped two of the smaller ones off my accident.

Any issues/concerns with this? I made sure to just get the fan leaves only.

3 Likes

Looks perfect

4 Likes

Looks good.
My rule is this…
Only take half of what you think you should. Cutting helps but too much will slow her down. Just a little then ignore cutting for a while then revist. Only half of what you think you should. That way you leave some and won’t hurt her.

Just my advice. We can always go back and cut, but we can’t glue leaves back on…

4 Likes

Thanks, appreciate the advice and well noted !

UPDATE

What a difference a day makes… Tempted to remove the next largest fan leaves to get light below, as the removal yesterday seems to have had a very positive effect.

6 Likes

I see the light! Is what those bud sites are saying. :joy: I removed some fan leaves also. The bud sites took off. Plant looks fabulous :+1:t2::sunglasses:

3 Likes