New Grobo Start Videos!

I leave it in the Start and remove it in the Premium/Solid. You don’t want the peat pod touching water, it’s very dense and holds a ton.

Wick or roots in the water is all that’s needed.

7 Likes

Thanks for the clarification

1 Like

Is it just me or does this remove the ability to pop the pod in further.
Auto growers dont use this.

6 Likes

@Todd.grobo good catch… no, you will not be able to push the pod in the tank with this method as far as my brain can tell.

3 Likes

Here’s two ways I’ve been using my Start so far.

Both are clones from my Blue Dream CBD.

The one on the left, I had to cut a slice in the side of the peat pod to fit the cutting in. It already had rooted from a glass of water. When I put it in, the root was fed upwards instead of down, so I tried to fish it down through the peat pod holder but I accidentally broke the entire root off… Decided to let it go… it re-rooted and now has even stronger roots than ever! Not sure what I’m gonna do with it as it may be a little early to transplant as my next plant, but I am gonna keep it alive.

Thinking about topping it possibly and seeing if I can keep things going.

The one on the right has been thriving underneath the light and has almost doubled in leaf size since then. She was looking really rough with some really ugly leaves and possible deficiencies but it seems like I cleared things up hopefully for the most part… Gave her some nutrient water with Grobo #3/#4/#5 and pHed it to the best of my ability.

p.s. the one on the right looks a little thirsty, just gave her some water this morning so she should perk up a bit. I don’t have drainage holes in the bottom of the bottle so I don’t water much.

4 Likes

- - - [2021-01.21]:

Jan 21, 4:49 AM

@Todd.grobo,

• (We Are Limited To Dropping The Pod By How Well You Lollipop Your Plant): (You Can Unsnap The Top Of The Pod Holder So The Pod Can Fall Through The Lid With No issues Here): (The Limit Is Where The Thickness Is On Your Plant):

• (SoOurBlueberryGrowCouldGoDownALittle): (OfCourseSheWasShort-So-NoNeed): {:wink:}:

• (Of Course I Didn’t Lollipop Our AccapulcoGold Enough So I Couldn’t Drop Her): {:crazy_face:}:

• (-So- My Point Is Lollipop it Well If She Is Going To Be A Giant): (-Also- Depends On How Your Stock Thickness Progresses):

~~~

@Aang,

• :warning: (#ThisJustIn):

- - -

@CM1266,

• (For The First Section, I Would Say Half The Height Is A Good Distance): {:white_check_mark:}:

~~~

- - - [2021-11.08]:

@Milton_Hamlet,

{:repeat:}:
--

~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~

6 Likes

What is the easiest way to change the water in this thing?

2 Likes

The lid of the start opens for water changes!

4 Likes

Electrical tape for the win!

1 Like

I realize the lid comes off but what about when you have plants in it that are large and have big root systems… seems like an oversight to me kinda

2 Likes

You can take the light off if the plant gets to tall… I thought about the same thing on the root ball but I don’t think it will be a problem… I transplanted my plant into the Grobo yesterday looked like this

11 Likes

For that size way more root growth

6 Likes

I remove the light for each water change so I don’t have to tilt the plant or worry about dragging the roots. I agree it isn’t ideal and if the light could just swivel out of the way, that would make things easier.

For water changes I have a red bucket I bought on Amazon that is the perfect size to rest the insert while you quickly take the water basin out and clean it. It is about a foot deep and can safely protect the roots while adding the blue and green nutrients to the fresh water.

3 Likes

Right on, that’s what I was thinking:

You either gotta hold the plants down in there and tilt the unit with the light off, or take the insert out and rest it on something so the roots can dangle…

No easier way to do it imo.

2 Likes

Also, not sure what’s going on with my Start.

I turned it on at 6:30 PM last night to do the 8 hour cycle, as I want it to be on when my Grobo plant is on to avoid any potential light leak issues. Also relocated it to a different spot where my Start plants can get sunlight/light from my grow lamp for the house plants so the 8 hour cycle seemed perfectly fine.

I’m assuming it ran it’s normal 8 hour cycle which would mean off at 2:30 AM because it was off at 4:00 AM this morning when I got up.

My wife messaged me this morning and said “When is the Start supposed to turn off?”, as it turned on again apparently this morning…which was weird since it was set to the Short Day mode and turned on at 6:30 PM last night…? Why would it turn on again in the morning?

3 Likes

Not sure if this happened but if you moved the Start (aka unplugged the power), it resets to Long Day Mode (13 hours) if I’m not mistaken

2 Likes

Ah yeah I think you might be right about that as I power cycled it tonight…

However, it was doing some wonky stuff tonight… turned it on and it lasted for like 20 minutes and then turned off. Then it would let me push the button to turn it on and it would only stay on for like 5 seconds then turn off…

Decided to power cycle it again and I think I got it working now properly…

2 Likes

I thought I also noticed some weird issues with it not keeping time of the light cycles as well. For the first day or 2 it seemed like it was not staying on long enough or not coming on when it should have. I also unplugged the power and ever since it has been handling the timing just fine.

I did notice that the peat pods really absorb and hold water. I think it would be a best practice to remove the wicks once you see a taproot hit the water. If the wicks stay in, they continue to pull up water into the peat pod and it won’t dry out.

I removed the wicks after Day 3 with each pod having a tap root hitting the water line.

2 Likes

Are we suppose to remove the wicks? Does anyone else do the same thing? I didn’t know this

3 Likes

Don’t shot the messenger

The unit has 2 modes lights on for 8 hours or 13 hours. There is also a 30 min mode

3 Likes