Unit does not Enter Drain Mode [RESOLVED]

Hi Team Grobo,

I’ve been having draining issues where the Grobo does not correctly enter draining mode. What happen is the Grobo briefly flashes green in the grow light, (for half a second) then returns to normal grow light color. Nothing drains, no pump sound, grow light does not turn green. It seems the Grobo unit itself does not enter drain mode, however the unit software thinks its in drain mode. The LED status indicator is solid blue and the app believes it is in draining mode. See the video below for a visual idea of what is happening.

Thanks,

Jimmy

3 Likes

Definitely open a ticket at support@grobo.io with a link to this thread.

Usually it does that because one of the back right three floating sensors is stuck by roots or the plastic cover

4 Likes

Look inside he protected shield and jiggle the sensor up and down ever gently make sure no roots around the sensor restart app and see if that works did this a a few times for me

4 Likes

Had the same issue once from fishing chiller tubes through and knocked a wire loose. Turned out it was a loose connection on the board. Pushed it on tight again and that worked. Maybe look there after you jiggle the sensors around. :crossed_fingers:

4 Likes

@GuerrillaFartz,

• (#TeamHasGotYouCovered): {:green_thumb:}:

• (I’m Sorry This Happened To You): (I Couldn’t Hear :ear: the Pumps Kick On Either): (I Was Going To Say Try To Push The Hose Down Farther In The Tank To Suck Out Lower Water, -But- I Couldn’t Even Hear :ear: Suction Pumps):

• (if Your Pump Has Failed, It Might Be Clogged In The [Back/Bottom] Of Your Unit):

• (Definitely Get That Ticket :tickets: In To Support To Get This Resolved):

- - -

• ([RESOLVED]):

--

:wink:

~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~

4 Likes

Thanks for everyone feedback (tried all responses, keep them coming) and/or following this thread. I have been working with Grobo support trying to solve the problem. But it seems like I got more questions now. Read below:

TLDR:
I get bizarre response using Web App vs Android App

Web App - click on “Resume Drain” during drain mode.
App State - “Are you sure you are ready to start draining the water from your unit?”

Android App - click on “Pause” during drain mode.
App State - "“Congratulations! Your tank is empty, where to next?”

After the firmware update, the unit still does not drain. It seems the grobo does not correctly enter the drain mode. I get different responses using the mobile app vs the web app regardless of the firmware update.

Web App Results

When initiating drain.
Unit State - Unit does not drain
App State - It’s Draining (App thinks it is draining)

When clicking on “Resume Drain” during drain
App State - “Are you sure you are ready to start draining the water from your unit?”

When clicking on “Pause” during drain
Unit State - No response
App State - No response

It seems that when I enter drain, the unit immediately enters the “pause” mode. I was just trying different things and noticed I get different results when using the Android App vs the Web App.

Android App Results

When initiating drain.
App State - It’s Draining (App thinks it is draining)

When clicking on “Resume Drain” during drain
Unit State - No response
App State - No response

When clicking on “Pause” during drain
App State - “Congratulations! Your tank is empty, where to next?”

For some reason, using the Android App, hitting the pause button, the app thinks draining is complete. Then after, I will try to fill, the app would right away tell me that I am full. These are really bizarre results. The water level is below the highest senor.

Also, I dont have one of those drain filters. I will open up the Grobo this weekend and look at the pump and water level senor. I appreciate everyone’s feedback

3 Likes

Do a power cycle if you haven’t already unplug for 20 sec plug back in repeat your steps

1 Like

If you don’t have a filter on your drain hose, it probably has a blockage in it so every time the Grobo tries to drain it runs into an error. Just a guess.

3 Likes

Could be a chunk of roots broke off and stuck in the tube?

2 Likes

After trying everything everyone suggested and disassembling the drain unit (drain unit was clear, no debris), the unit still did not drain.

However, upon disassembling the drain unit, one of the drain unit were loose, not at the board, but from the wire connecting at the pin was loose. There was no way to get the wire to secure attached to the pin since it was pinch, so I just have to make a mental note if this happens again.

Dont be dumb like me, double check all of the wire connections from wire to pin to board.

2 Likes