Roots turning dark brown

Could my water level getting low have possibly have caused the brown roots on my plant. I have not changed mine out since a week ago and when I check today it was low

2 Likes

How much water did you mix with the hydrogen peroxide? And how long did you let it sit ?

1 Like

@Leafy271 when I did this cleanse my intent was to kill everything living on and around the roots, which can leave the roots vulnerable. Be aware that h2o2 doesnā€™t discriminate, it will affect/kill good bacteria along with the bad.

Also note that mixing h2o2 with tap water has a reduced effect, it reacts with chlorine which leaves less available to go after the bacteria. I was using tap water, if distilled/RO water is used then less h2o2 can be used.

The cocopod is also a place where the rot can hide/come back, which is why I soaked it too.

If you have something like recharge to add afterward itā€™ll help to replace the good bacteria that were killed.

I also cleaned out the grobo reservoir as per cleaning instructions while letting the roots soak in the little container/bucket.

If doing a clean mid-grow make sure to unplug all bottles before draining/filling/cleaning the res to keep them from being added to the water/vinegar/etc. I forgot to do this once after adding the 50/50 vinegar/water and it looked like I had 200 airstones running in my res (think baking soda volcano), thatā€™s something Iā€™ve not repeated since. :repeat_one:

Hereā€™s the relevant part from the post I linked earlier:

2 Likes

Water temp is 66 degrees

2 Likes

2 Likes

Here are some more pictures. What is the brown stuff on top of the reservoir? It appears to be the same things on the roots, I touched the roots and the stuff got on my hand.

1 Like

The brown stuff with a lighter reddish or yellow tinge/color is just from nutrients.

The blackish-brown stuff is the concern. If it wipes off easily and looks red on your hand, itā€™s just nutrients. If it only somewhat wipes off and feels like slime on your hand then thatā€™s a harmful bacteria that suffocates the roots.

Iā€™m still not entirely convinced itā€™s rot, or perhaps itā€™s only maintaining a partial foothold on the root zone due to the lower temps?

1 Like

Iā€™m not sure. The roots do not feel slimy or really smell bad, the water just has a mildew scent

2 Likes

How is the base of the plant itself looking? Have any pics of the top area of the cocopod and base of the stem?

If youā€™ve been keeping RH up that could be how sheā€™s putting up such a fight if that is rot setting in.

The leaves look super-healthy up top but something is up as youā€™re already nearing flower stage in the recipe. This doesnā€™t look like a simple case to diagnose but thankfully sheā€™s not curly and brown up there - ā€œdoing nothingā€ and observing what happens next might be the best course of action. If anything maybe just clean off the roots below the cocopod a bit to see how fast it returns (or doesnā€™t).

2 Likes

Yeah looking at the other pictures posted Iā€™m not entirely convinced itā€™s rot either, I think itā€™s just the stain. Youā€™re right @vegetato plant looks really healthy up top, and with the water temperature at 66.6 :smiling_imp: lol.

2 Likes