Roots turning dark brown

Just checked on my plant it is growing nice but the roots are turning dark brown. Why is this and what can I do ?

1 Like

If it doesn’t smell bad/ isn’t slimy it’s just staining from nutes, which isn’t a problem.

2 Likes

Comparing your last 2 pics from 5 days ago and today:

That looks like root rot (to me) unless you’ve recently been adding recharge. If it is root rot and not an additive on your part then the roots need to be cleaned.

Did you get a chance to check your water temperature? IF it is root rot then that’s the most likely reason, the water needs to stay below 72°F. Using hydroguard can also help to prevent the “rot” from starting but it won’t help to clean up an infection.

What does the reservoir smell like, a bit fishy/foul?

Also, did you extend transition so she doesn’t go into flowering yet?

1 Like

Yes I extended the late veg. It doesn’t smell too much kinda has a mildew scent when I lift the lid. How do you go about cleaning it up ?

1 Like

Do you use recharge?

You’ll probably want one of these, it comes in handy for keeping an eye on those temps:

For now I’d probably drain and refill with fridge-temperature water (chilled) to slow the growth while you prep for cleaning. You basically need to take the cover out and take it to a sink or bucket to rinse off the roots.

When this happened to me I used some h2o2 (hydrogen peroxide, just 8% from pharmacy) added to the water to “eat away” at the rot. Take a look at this post for some pics: https://www.allgrowers.com/t/3rd-grow-ak-x-critical-mass-auto-harvested/3221/12?u=vegetato

Also, before doing anything please let us know the answer to this question:

3 Likes

No recharge

1 Like

The root are not clumping together and don’t necessarily appear slimy yet, I can’t tell if the roots are just stained or if it is root rot.

1 Like

Hopefully it’s not but that’s a lot of staining for just 5 days, unless that last pic was just at a bad angle.

Knowing the water temps will help considerably in troubleshooting.

For now don’t assume it’s rot but if it is dealing with it before it manifests symptoms up above would help. You also mentioned that you’re about to go into flowering, so something is stunting her growth as the plant (and roots) should be bigger at this stage.

My biggest clue so far is the lack of lateral growth – the roots seem to be at a standstill (as you’ve seen up top as well) which is how I came to determine if I had gotten rid of the rot yet or not – the roots that look like steps on a ladder should be growing like crazy, not stopping as they poke out.

2 Likes

Get hydroguard asap!

3 Likes

Yeah @Leafy271 I would do what @vegetato suggested with cleaning the roots and also what @Bplatinum9 suggested and get yourself some hydroguard asap. I had a similar problem and got some and no more issues. That for sure looks like the beginning of root rot there at the bottom cluster there

1 Like

Shit does that mean mine need a cleaning too? I’m not trying To take over your topic, just wondering if I should be doing the same thing too.

2 Likes

Aren’t you using recharge though?

2 Likes

I was wondering the same thing, have you introduced the recharge with your latest drain/fill?

The reason this is being asked is because it leaves a similar brown residue on the roots, so it’s (probably) not a case of root rot in that case if the brown coloring coincided with the addition of recharge.

4 Likes

I was, but than I did a water change with just hydro guard, I felt like the plant was looking to sad with the recharge. I thought the roots might look a little clumpy?
The reason I thought my water was a little brown still was maybe a little bit of the recharge was In the reservoir. My water change is tomorrow.

2 Likes

If your already using hydroguard then its more than likely its the recharge that stained your roots.
Unless they smell really bad or get slimy its not root rot.

2 Likes

I notice in that pic that your water is below the low-fill sensor line.

You should be “topping up” by doing a “fill” from the app (without draining) mid-week if possible. At the later stages that might even be 2-3 times a week if she’s drinking a lot.

4 Likes

Well then I would assume that’s the reason for the stained roots, I’m sure it won’t just go away now that it’s stained. Just keep the lid down now and just watch your plant. If the plant is healthy up top then there’s no need to be lifting the lid and checking. It’s harmful to the roots and can just add to problems.

1 Like

I been feeling like it needed more water too but A few days ago I tried to top it off, with out any notifications. And it wouldn’t fill, it would just stop automatically like it was full. That’s when I asked the Community if the grobo would let me know if my girl needs water. It let me know my seed needed water in germination.

1 Like

You’re doing fine then - it doesn’t look super-low it’s just something not to forget to do. :slight_smile:

At first it’ll run for a quick sec and say done, over the weeks that gets longer as she gets thirsty.

2 Likes