RIP Granddaddy Black

Something brewers use to remove chlorine & chloramine from water. Just was wondering if you used it - not related to your issues, my bad :sweat_smile:

Oh! I have used similar things for water treatment. Right now I’m brewing with RO water and adding minerals that mimic water in other countries such as Belgium, Germany, etc.

1 Like

Sounds fancy :grinning_face_with_smiling_eyes:

1 Like

It’s fun.

Someone with more experience then me please correct me if I am wrong, but won’t H2O2 kill the good bacteria in stuff like Mammoth/Orca, and Hydroguar?

2 Likes

@VermontGrobo,

https://www.researchgate.net/publication/226519763_Hydrogen_Peroxide_The_Good_The_Bad_and_The_Ugly

• (#OverMyHead): :innocent: :laughing:

- - -

• (#MuchLoveGrowFam): :smiling_face_with_three_hearts: :sparkling_heart:

[Search results for 'MuchLoveGrowFam ' - AllGrowers Forum | Hydroponics, Harvesting, Cannabis, and more]

--

2 Likes

I won’t be using H2O2 anymore.

H2O2 dissipates within about 24 hrs and would have to be applied daily to be effective. Not sure about “stabilized” versions tho. And as @VermontGrobo mentioned, it kills all bacteria including the good. It’s best used when your plant is being put in quarantine & for sanitizing your reservoir before & after your grow.

1 Like

You can use those but they might have issues for cannabis as it drop the chlorine out of the water but clhoramine is harder to remove and takes days plus it converts to ammonia in the water so not really good for cannabis I’ve used dechlorinators before and had issues keeping ph

1 Like

I bought them, but have been hesitant to use them. I haven’t found any info on using it for cannabis specifically, but they have been used on edible gardens. I think I might skip it for this grow and experiment with it on my next one.

1 Like

If you want to use something that will essentially sanitize your reservoir and keep your roots healthy look into a product called ZeroTol HC. It promotes healthy roots, but at the same time it will sterilize your reservoir, so you wouldn’t be able to use anything like Hydroguard or Orca. I had to use some on my other grow that had a lot of algae growing in the rockwool. You do have to keep adding it to your water every 2-3 days due to dissipation.

@chris_barfield posted about it in the Everything FloraFlex thread.

2 Likes

Whats wrong with vinegar and water and let it soak 2 hours. 2 years going and no issues yet. Cheap too

2 Likes

I did use vinegar and water but I decided, since I have the sanitizer already, that I would use that as an extra measure. Also, there was a lot of brown/red gunk that came out of the unit when I drained it. So, in other words, the rot was everywhere.

1 Like

Hey @Todd.grobo, do you use hydroguard or recharge on your grows?

Nope i do not.

Vinegar didn’t work for my reservoir. Salt stains & a mild pond-ish smell remained. Food grade H2O2 worked.

1 Like

Interesting. We get calcium build up here more than anything. Good to know

1 Like

Condolences

@Todd.grobo after using that method to try and keep my CPAP water reservoir clean I gave up and switched to H2O2. Only thing I found vinegar good for is making it smell like vinegar until you rinse it 1000000 times.

I have honestly never had any luck using vinegar.

1 Like

Best thing I have found for calcium build up is citric acid.

1 Like