No pop day 15, 1st try

Alright here I am at day 15 of 132 day Chocolope recipe, a long recipe to start,
Day 5/14 EV and she still hasn’t shot up.

First dug around and found sprout inside pod on day 8 of germ. There has been no change since then. Or if there has been, I don’t know. Today is the first time I’ve photographed the sprout or uncovered her long enough to do so. I uncovered the top and the coco in front to show what I can of her growing down. She doesn’t appear as “white” maybe. Still nothing coming out of the bottom.

Should I investigate further into the pod? Give it up? Ride it out until I get another pod? Just be patient? Finally added hydroguard in yesterday’s water change.

If you zoom in on this one you can see it.

Thanks!

1 Like

Yes I think we should see more signs of life after 15 days. There is “something” growing there with a stalk but it doesn’t look right. I’m not as experienced as others on here but I would scrap this one and start with a new seed and cocopod. Or you could giver her a few more days to see if things improve. Good luck!

3 Likes

Hey @Angiebaby

I’m with @miami5th on this one. The seedling does not have a healthy/proper appearance. I recommend aborting this grow and starting another.

1 Like

@Angiebaby,

• (WasTheHeadAccidentlySnippedOff):? :question:

• (IWouldInvestigateSomeMore): (IThinkISeeARootAtTheBottomOfThe [Coco-Pod]):

- - -

- - -

https://www.allgrowers.com/t/do-si-dos-germination-question/5179/15?u=silvergrobo

• (InsideTheCoco-Pod): (LittleSproutCommingUpOutOfTheSeed):

SilverGrobo

SilverGrobo

SilverGrobo

SilverGrobo

• (#OneOfMyFavoriteShots): :stuck_out_tongue: :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye: :smiling_face_with_three_hearts: :sparkling_heart: :innocent:

SilverGrobo

- - -

@vegetato,

• (ThankYouForSharing):

(ThisWasNice): (ClickHere):

--

• (ItShowsHowItDances): :seedling:

--

:video_camera:

- - -

• (SorryForYourLoss): :cry:

--

4 Likes

@SilverGrobo I was thinking the same thing that the head was snipped off! Maybe accidentally broken off while checking on the seed a few days back?

@Angiebaby What is that metal instrument in the picture? Looks like a mail opener or something?

3 Likes

(WasTheHeadAccidentlySnippedOff):? :question:

Ya know, I don’t know! The first time I found it was with my fingers and I was very gentle. -
and since then I’ve known right where it is.
I didn’t see a seed on top then, but it definitely looked healthier. I want to say it might’ve looked thinner on top than it does, but I’m not sure. I haven’t been able to resist looking at it a few times since, (Okay every 24-48 hours I guess!) every time it’s been the same, but it’s always a quick peek. Today was the longest look I’ve taken and the first time I noticed the top is flat like that and that the stalk is starting to look a little grayish.

2 Likes

It’s a pampered chef V shaped cutter

Ouch, were you using that to remove the cocopod material over the seed hole?

1 Like

Today was the first time I used that instead of my fingers, and I was gentle. I sanitized it and just used it to lightly slide the top material over and hold it out of the way to take a picture. I was going to grab a butter knife and use the back of it to do the same thing and saw that in the drawer and grabbed it instead.

I really don’t think the V shaped cutter is to blame if anything was cut off - if anything was rubbed off it would’ve been by me earlier but I don’t think so. Like I said, today was the first time I grabbed that and that’s not a fresh cut we’re looking at.

1 Like

It does kind of look like the bottom of the root, but then again it could be the top.

Did you find the seed hat anywhere? (the shell of the seed)

In that zoomed in pic it looks like it has “lips”. I’d leave that exposed to the light and see if leaves don’t sprout out… that might be all it needs. Did you plant it especially deep?

4 Likes

No, that worried me from day 8 when I first saw it, no shell. I can’t say if I noticed those “lips” before today as every other look was quick quick. I was worried that might be some sort of deformity.

I have thought about exposing it! I wasn’t sure if that would be a big no no or not, but worth a try at this point! :smiley:

I wouldn’t know the top from the bottom, lol, that’s why I have you guys to teach me! :smiley:

How can you plant a seed upside down? Grow toward the LIGHT my little bambino!! :sun_with_face:

And no… it’s not deep at all, just barely uncover the coco and there it is. At first I thought it was deep because I thought it was growing UP from wherever, but then I learned it was growing down. Unless it IS upside down. :upside_down_face:

2 Likes

I think it sucks but I would suggest starting over as well… it does look very strange to me.

Think of it this way though, I bet if you start with a new seed you’ll have more progress in 3-4 days than you had this entire time, and as of now you’re using your nutrients for a plant that really doesn’t need them yet.

Sad :frowning: It’s up to you to make the call… I would be really torn myself.

Don’t know if you have a cocopod on back-up, but if not the longer you wait the less likely it will be to use the same one especially if it dies in there and starts rotting or something like that I can only imagine.

2 Likes

Okay going for full exposure, going to :crossed_fingers: and see what happens! Still open to other positive advice as well, all ideas welcome!

I decided she’s more green than grey which must be a good sign.

How hard can the seed hat be @vegetato? Vs how hard can the coco material be? A couple of days ago I swear I found a v shaped something, like the corner of a broken toy or anything plastic really, black and hard as obsidian.

1 Like

I think it’s cut off or is completely upside-down… it should have a mouth looking shape that opens up into leaves with a dark tip on the end

Check what mine looked like as a baby with the seed hat stuck: https://www.allgrowers.com/t/seedling-help/7671

Scroll down until you see the Mouth shaped thing I’m talking about as well

Almost like a snake looking thing

3 Likes

I remember seeing that, yeah I may as well see what happens. Maybe leaves will pop out of those lips there. It looks green inside there and inside the stem right below there. With any luck, maybe it’ll snake upwards at the same time!

I don’t have another pod unfortunately

Yeah I’d say start over IF you have a spare cocopod and more seeds. If you don’t have extra cocopods then now’s the time to order 2-3 more. Also get another set of bottles 3-5 as you will go thru more than 1 bottle each of those.

If you don’t have a spare cocopod then I would just let this try and grow out until your cocopods arrive and then decide to terminate and start over or continue with what you have.

1 Like

So… are you saying you think I can still use THIS pod with a new seed???

You can use these :wink: :wink:
https://parkseed.com/36-pack-refill-sponges-for-the-18-cell-planting-block/p/09323-PK-36/

4 Likes

Seeds can turn black when they are too wet during germination too, maybe the black thing you found was your seed pod crumbled up or something?

Sorry the more I think about it, it’s probably not a good idea to re-use this pod since something grew in there, or is trying to, but the fact it didn’t survive means something went wrong, like mold or fungus, so I don’t think it would be safe to re-grow. If the seed didn’t pop at all and was just sitting there as a seed still you might be okay.

Others might have another opinion but that’s my two cents on it

2 Likes