No pop day 15, 1st try

I ordered these and they are perfect size.

2 Likes

Those are awesome! And I just ordered pods today, lol. Next time! :grin: Thanks @miami5th

1 Like

It usually comes off shortly after breaking ground, but sometimes comes off beneath surface. When it gets stuck underneath, my concern is only that the seed might cut itself on the shell if it gets wedged the wrong way. That’s a possibility here, if it decapitated itself as it was coming out or something.

If you think that might be the bottom, you could try to carefully fish out the seedling (without tugging on it) by spreading open the coco a bit around the seed and flipping it over.

On the other hand, if that is the top (just growing deformed or having been decapitated) then it’d be better idea to just leave it be.

Exposing roots to light will make them go green, so there’s a chance it goes green and that’s the end. But, usually the tap root is thin and I’ve not seen “lips” on the end of mine like that (yet) so I’d think there’s a chance that’ll grow into leaves.

It’s not necessarily game over yet but I would be preparing to start over just in case it is upside down and it’s too late. I’d probably crack mine open to have a look but wouldn’t say it’s something I would recommend doing unless you’re prepared to kill it by accident and start over for that reason. :wink:

3 Likes

So if I was to dissect the pod with the expectation of finding an upside down plant, what EXACTLY would I find, I mean, I’m no botanist… I don’t know that I would even recognize that it was upside down if it was unless there were leaves growing inside the pod, kwim?

Here’s a good video on what happens when the seed first grows.

3 Likes

Thanks Veg, great video!! No change since yesterday btw. was able to take better pics this morning and appears to be some black dots on top of flat surface, losing all my positivity for this one, lol. Oh well! Pods are on the way!

How wet should the bottom of the pod be? Besides “it should drip”? Mine is wringing wet. Is that normal? I mean, I can wring that sucker out still, while the top is drying out but still moist, the bottom is holding a lot of water in it. Normal?

I think I might go ahead and dissect this one if @Dani agrees. I’m submitting a ticket with a few more questions.

1 Like

Those are awesome pics thank you!
Upon investigation here, just water. And pod less wet on bottom today after winging i suppose. For future reference, leave it soaking wet or not?

Okay I couldn’t wait.

She’s right side up, found a little root hair going down, also found seed, still pretty full of magic. :disappointed:

I also see more growth coming down from where I found the seed now that I’m looking at the picture! Both that root and the one from my stalk look like hairs that were hard to distinguish from pod material with the naked eye (mine anyway) but in the pic it really comes through!! Kind of makes me wish I hadn’t picked up the seed, but 16 days…, 2 possible roots?..

3 Likes