First time indoor grow setup after outdoor harvest

Hello fellow gardeners new member here looking to document my first time indoor grow after my outdoor projects finish. I’m allowed up to six plants under my state’s medical laws so I’m setting up a 5x5 tent.

I am still debating between running HPS or learning more about LED. I would love to here more about people’s LED outcomes in a small maintained environment.

Attached is my current (08/03/19) Querkle Berry

2 Likes

Go with led!! They last longer, don’t get hot, and are full spectrum! I currently run a Mars hydro sp 250. You really need two for a 4x4 tent. I have another on the way. Got great results with one light over two plants. I’ll get ~1/4 lb off each plant

7 Likes

Thank you that looks nice. Everything about an LED grow sounds promising. I’m looking at the Phlizon Cree Cob Series 2000W LED as it fits a good price point. My light is the last thing I need for my setup.
Here’s my awesome blueprints…

5 Likes

Yep says 2000w but draws ~300w from wall and you’ll still get the blurple color! That’s old tech!!! Stick with quantum board tech!! That’s new tech and with Samsung chips! My 250 actually draws 250w :joy:

1 Like

And don’t forget hygrometer, ph pen (blue labs) ppm pen also blue labs, tomatoes stakes or trellis net. Nutes preference advanced nutrients ph perfect, pots fabric or super roots air pots (I just did a side by side comparison and fabric wins out) ro water(so 5 stage ro filtration system…

Yup got all that. I’m getting all my nutes from a friend and should have the basic 3 regimen. I have ink bird monitors for temps and RH precision. Ph pens and a drawer full of extra gadgets.

4 Likes

I would not go with a 2000 watt led … from my reading I think after about 1300 watts you really don’t gain much In yield unless supply with co2 also that fixture will get hot even with it being led … if you really want run 2000 watts your better going with two lights for a better spread of light as well as efficieny… like @Osage says qauntom boards are great as well pucks and cobs …

1 Like

But everything else in your picture looks on point

1 Like

Also if your running drain to waste with that reservoir I’d put those plants in a bed so that they don’t sit in the Lechate and have a hard time drying out…

1 Like

As of now I’m putting them in 6 fairly large fabric smart pots sitting on plastic trays. Using coco/perlite as medium with a basic nutrient schedule.

I appreciate the info on LED as I’ve never put them into functional use. I’ve been reading and learning and it seems pretty common to use 2 lights to fill the void without over exposure. However I really don’t want to spend 900 dollars on a light or two right now. Is there a decent LED setup for a 5x5 around the 400 to 600 price range? I will improve on this later.

1 Like

I’d go with the sp250 it’s a really good light or the migro series those are awesome lights… also with led you have to raise the temperature of the room to about 83 84 degree due to o infra red and to keep lead temp at 78 degrees for best metabolism

1 Like

Two sp 250, $500 problems solved

1 Like

Seriously

Oh but make sure you have them put the drivers 6 ft away from the light with 6 ft of cord after! Or if you are electrically inclined, you can do it yourself cheaper

In my growtent blueprint I’m using a simple space heater attached to an ink bird temperature sensor to maintain heat as needed depending on time of year. I’m in the NW so AC will not be needed. I also have an ink bird humidity sensor hooked to a humidifier and dehumidifier so my temp and RH will be maintained at a specific level. I’m not running C02 this time.

I’ve been thinking about those inkbirds… have you run them yet ? How they treating you ? I see they have a WiFi for temps but not humidity

1 Like

I’ve been running them for the last 9 months for a high humidity fungus project and they worked perfect. Theres a complaint on the RH sensor that after a while in prolonged high humidity that they malfunction. A work around is you get the replacement sensor and splice it to the unit. Still haven’t needed to and I’ve been maintaining 95% RH…if mine breaks tomorrow I’m buying another one. Great value and accurate.

1 Like

Imma get 1/2 lb off each plant!!

3 Likes

Half lbs per plant at what specs? Grow area size, medium used, nutrient schedule, lights used? Imma whore for Intel at the moment. Lol

2 Likes

If I’m not mistake @Osage and I use advanced nutrients… I think he uses the three part system they have. I use the connoisseur. I know he’s under the sp250 but not sure what size tents he uses… so here’s the thing about the lights … when your purchasing the lights you have to look at a few things … one is efficiency of the light. Which means how well does the light convert the energy going into the driver and out in usable light. For example legacy lighting is not that efficienct cuz energy goes in and a lot is expelled in heat… which is loss of usable energy. Lights have gotten way better now with some reaching 2.7 like my spydrs some companies have gotten 2.9 as well. The. You have to look at par which is the spectrum. Certain spectrums make the plants react differently. Next you have to look at ppf and ppfd. Ppf is the intensity of the light. Then ppfd is the intensity of the light over a measured area. Example 4x4 etc etc. these things are what you should be looking at when buying a light so you can best fit your needs. Also what goes into my decisions on lights is how close can I hang them. You see leds do not emit infrared wavelengths. Infra red is used by the plant to heat up light surfaces. So the closer you can hang your light the warmer the leaf temp. You see everyone thinks that the ambient temperature is whatbyiu should be aiming for but that’s wrong with leds. Cannabis plants have optimal growth and metabolism when the LEAF TEMP are 78 degrees Fahrenheit not the ambient temps. In order to make up for that you must raise temps to 83-84 degrees so that the leaf temps can be at optimal level. Also with leds the light is different. Think of it like super focused light aiming straight down not all over the place. Like a flashlight aiming at a wall the light goes straight to the wall and doesn’t illuminate the surrounding area. That’s how leds are really focused light that doesn’t spread. With that being said if your plant isn’t doing well don’t be quick to blame the light because with leds if there’s a deficiency it in the plant it tends to stick out more under leds.

1 Like