First grow—toooootally clueless

I bought a ph pen and it arrived today. Upon checking, it looks like my tank is sitting at 5.2-5.3. Should be right around 6, right? Calibration list still won’t be here for a few days.

1 Like

Hmm, well that might be a tad bit low toward the acidic. It could potentially explain why your leaves are curling just slightly as it’s not too far out of the acceptable range of 5.5 to 6.5… But anything lower than 5.5 can cut out some of the nutrients available to the plant and also from what I’ve read, anything under 5.0 can start to make certain things toxic to the plants especially.

Also, depends which pH pen you got… Some of them need calibrated upon arrival as well and some aren’t the most accurate… if you get a cheap pH pen it typically will give less accurate results.

How are your Bottle #1 and Bottle #2 looking? Is there a lot out of them?

3 Likes

Bottle 2 is being dispensed faster but they’re all still really full.

1 Like

Definitely getting bushier.

Hopefully it’ll reveal some gender characteristics pretty soon.

3 Likes

Hydroguard arrived so I added some of that to the tank to be safe. Also trimmed four of the original lower leaves that were blocked by the giant upper fan leaves.

2 Likes

Looks good! Definitely indica-leaning fan leaves.
I hope we find out gender soon too!

3 Likes

Pushed the larger fan leaves below the new growth as I’ve seen others doing on here. I’m in day 5 of late veg.

5 Likes

Looks good :slight_smile: All that exposed good stuff now :smiley:

4 Likes

Thanks. I copied you. :grinning:

3 Likes

At what point is it practical to start removing these leaves?

2 Likes

I’d say mostly when the top growth starts to push out fan leaves of equal size or close to it and starts shading out the bottom stuff. You might be able to remove the very first node of fan leaves now, looks like the farthest ones down are almost shaded out by the stuff above it currently. That’s your call though.

Some people say never to remove stuff haha :stuck_out_tongue: So there’s obviously different schools of thought on it.

I think I started removing a node every day or two from the bottom up on my current grow.

3 Likes

Did some defoliation and it looks to be doing nicely from what I can tell.

4 Likes

Topped off the water and checked in on this plant today. Entering into its second week of late veg and wondering if it’s likely to reach the second fan in a week.

4 Likes

You might see a nice growth spurt soon, depends on the plant and conditions, but I would probably plan on extending Late Veg for 1 week… 3 weeks or 4 weeks of LV is pretty typical for the successful growers here.

Did you ever get the pH Calibration kit?

3 Likes

I’m finishing week 5 late veg on an indica-dominant Northern Lights and it’s hitting 2nd fan now on day 56. I’d say your girl will hit the 2nd fan in a matter of weeks. Depends on your RH/Temp in your grow room, Google “VPD”

With all that said, she looks tremendous and strong. Great work so far.

3 Likes

I just did one in LV for 39 days to hit the second fan, I also took 14 clones from her as well.

4 Likes

Yes. It came this weekend.

3 Likes

Did you use the clones in soil?

2 Likes

@haze hydro, and gave the most of them to some friends

3 Likes

Is it safe to go ahead and declare this an indica—and by process of elimination Purple Kush? Seems very bushy.

3 Likes