First Grow - RQS / Northern Lights Auto

You sure its ok to run 24/0 schedule?

Seemingly yes, I’ve read numerous grow reports which used this light schedule - some people say that a period of darkness is vital, but others say that they’ve run the same strains under 18/6, 20/4, 24/0 without any noticeable difference in yield or bud quality - therefore I’ve decided to give it a shot, you can learn alongside me :joy: Here’s her at day 40 - she got properly LST’d and defoliated yesterday and has already perked up!

2 Likes

She does look much better!

1 Like

Day 41 from sprout, my apologies if I’ll be posting relatively often - but I’ve always wanted to find pictures of the same strain I’m growing in daily increments to compare my own growth progress - therefore I’m hoping this might help someone down the road. So far she’s getting fed 5ml of tomorite per 1L, and 1L of PH’d water interchangeably. I intend to keep it that way in the spirit of simplicity and really basic/cheap set-up, I want to see how far she’ll land from the same examples of NL being grown under zillion watts & 10 different specialized and expensive nutrient compounds. 100W/tomorite/water - that’s it. :see_no_evil:

3 Likes

Day 42, there is just one thing I’m wondering today - I’ve found exactly ONE petiole turning red and a couple leaves that are experiencing the ’drawstring’ effect - in my mind and by the book it must be a Mag deficiency - which after some thinking doesn’t make much sense - she’s a small plant yet sits in a large pot, rather than actual deficiency it seems to me that it’s uptake got simply greatly reduced as an aftereffects of my early overwatering, and that it’s just a lingering effect which will go away - since it seems hard to imagine she already went through all the available magnesium in 20L of potting soil - any thoughts on that, anyone? :sob::sweat_smile:

1 Like

@Gio,

((#GrowWeedEasy)): :herb:

((#IGotABooBoo)): :adhesive_bandage:

--

((#ClickForMore)): (:point_down:)

BooBoo

--

((#IGotABooBoo)): :adhesive_bandage:

--

:adhesive_bandage:

--

:crossed_fingers: :crossed_fingers:

((#SheIsLookingVeryHappy)): :smiley:

(IWouldCleanUpTheDeadDebriAtTheBaseOfYourPlant): (ThisCouldCauseAHealthHazard): :thinking:

((#DeadDebri)): :dizzy_face:

https://www.allgrowers.com/search?q=dead%20debri%20%20user%3Astephen

--

:wink:

--

:smiling_face_with_three_hearts: :sparkling_heart: :green_thumb:

((#ILoveThisFlower)): :white_flower::smiling_face_with_three_hearts::sparkling_heart:

--

2 Likes

Thanks a million, I’ll go through everything you’ve provided :heart_eyes:

1 Like

I’m kinda baffled here - I’m certain that the slight cal/mag deficiency is a result of initial overwatering, so is the very light nuteburn you can see on the tips of the leaves - but as per pictures - does she look in bad shape in any way? I mean, look at the pictures attached - to me it seems she’s more than happy - I’ve just released all LST straps again so her canopy is out of order - but other than that the leaves are looking healthy and are literally trying to grab the lights - this doesn’t really scream ”help I’m having a hard time” lol - I’m saying all of this because I feel like trying to hastily amend the problem might do more harm than good - I’ll lower the watering even further, I’ll keep the feeding schedule as it is now and observe for another couple days - does that sound reasonable?

4 Likes

Seems like a great plan! You’ll get better at deciding after you have grown the same strain more than once! Its really the best indicator so take lots of notes.

5 Likes

Looks really healthy to me :mag::+1:

3 Likes

Day 43 - she keeps on going strong, my bottle of Cal/Mag just arrived - I’ll experiment with adding one dose at her next watering and look for any effect - good or bad, for a couple of days. This strain seems crazy resilient to me given that she was sprouting and vegging for the first 3 weeks basically in a swamp - as a beginner myself I can wholeheartedly recommend it - great strain to learn your way into growing since she’s very forgiving - at least for now :see_no_evil:

4 Likes

You can bring that light down to the canopy as close as you can without your hand getting hot or uncomfortable(stick your hand above the canopy and bring the light down to you hand until it’s a bit warm, then bring it up an inch or two) she can handle it. Also use your cal/mag at half strength of what the bottle says :+1::v:

2 Likes

I was actually thinking to do exactly that, but was reluctant due to the fact that the light might not cover the whole plant properly then, but I guess if the manufacturer says this light has a 120 degree beam angle, then It should be all good as you say :thinking: As you can tell these two 50W lights are proper slim and I can comfortably keep my hand underneath, guess it’s rather hard to burn the leafs with such a low wattage :sweat_smile: I’ll do as you say and will keep you posted :heart:

2 Likes

As promised - I’ve applied around 600ml of PH’d water & Cal/Mag at half the recommended dose + I’ve lowered the light by a couple of inches, now around 7” from the canopy, putting my hand under the lights can barely make me feel any heat, slightly warm at best - but it seems to be as low as I can get it without losing the overall coverage, which is needed due to how flat and spread out she is, I’ll let her grow a couple of inches into the light before adjusting since I’d rather experiment with how low I can get these lights in small increments. That would be it for now :heart_eyes::heart::ok_hand:

5 Likes

Just a quick one - looks like she loved it - immediately picked up, hugging the lights again and turning me into a full-time Leaf Tucker :joy::joy: in a couple of days she will fully cover my 2x2 tent, which seems bonkers to me, her fan leafs are already touching each and every side of the tent :sweat_smile:

7 Likes

Make her stop :flushed::joy: Don’t you guys think her defoliation should be coming up soon? Or should I leave her to her own devices? I was planning to do the latter but keeping in mind how exponential her growth is - I’m about to go back on my thought :thinking:

3 Likes

Just keep tucking leaves if your gut isn’t telling you to remove leaves. If she’s super dense then it couldn’t hurt to remove the inner most leaves to let better airflow through maybe? Just a thought anyway

2 Likes

Let us compromise then - for now, I’ll take her out and I’ll spread her canopy out even further since some colas are already climbing faster than others, which will open her up even further - without removing any leaves to allow quick and easy recovery from doing that - then once she dense up again I’ll keep on tucking - rinse and repeat until I’ll completely run out of horizontal space - since I fully agree with trying to stress her as little as possible, given what I’ve put her through in her initial growth stages - for some reason I simply feel like I owe it to her, even at the cost of lower yield :heart_eyes::relaxed:

2 Likes

WARNING: GRAPHIC CONTENT!

EDIT: Day 45

But don’t falter - not a single leaf or soon-to-be-a-popcorn-nug branch got hurt or removed :sweat_smile: Unfortunately, this really IS the limit of how horizontal I can get her canopy to be - in around 10hr I’ll be back with a picture of a much happier plant than what you’re about to see - I’ve tied down each and every cola to my liking, completely exposing her center for future real estate opportunities :joy: Shes flat as a desk - now the only way is UP :joy::heart_eyes::heart:

2 Likes

5hrs later - and this is what I see :heart_eyes:! I’ll take care of her undergrowth and will slightly lollipop her at a later stage, in a week or two given that I’ve managed to keep her vertical growth tamed pretty good - as before, I want her to bush up as much as she wants. I’ll do my best to refrain from posting like crazy, I promise :see_no_evil::sweat_smile:

4 Likes