White electrical tape for light leaking?

I don’t know about everyone, but my Grobo leaks a little light almost every where. Top corners and sides, around the bottom, etc…

A guy took 3/4" wide white electrical tape and covered all the seams and around the top and it was much better.

Anyone else done something like this? I was thinking about it as it looked like it helped. Of course it still comes out the back :grinning: though.

3 Likes

@TheDogMan,

--

~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~

3 Likes

Thanks, nothing came up when I started this topic like it does sometimes.

2 Likes

The tape came today and I did everything but 3 sides of the door. I did the hinge side of the door and all the other edges and seams on the Grobo front and back. I do plan to do something for the other 3 edges of the door, just no time right now.

Besides a lot less light leaking except the back fans, it seems like it even makes it a little quieter as I guess air and noise is not escaping all over.

I wonder if now that is more sealed, the filter and other fans might work better as all the air has to go thru it now and not out all the other gaps.

3 Likes

thanks for the awesome information.

2 Likes

I wasn’t around for this topic. I just started on September first. So my grobo same issues. Not bad but I bent the flanges around the door a little to get gasket to seat better. Also a critical step is to square up your cabinet with adjustable feet. This will square up the door better. I use small self tapping screws on the back to fill in gaps. I guess the back and front were my only issues. Which weren’t bad just my ocd took over. Lol :rofl: when it went to sleep I stuck a flashlight inside and closed the door. Also my kitchen is pitch black I was able to see the leaks better. This is my first time so I may be a little extreme sometimes. I like things to work well is all. Thank you for letting me share. :sunglasses::+1:t2:

1 Like

The taped did work, but started to come off already. Not sure why, then I pulled some off.

Might need something better, did help a lot.

The real light problem though is the rear and the fan cut outs.

1 Like

The back is double wall I believe. A thin metal elbow or S shape over the fans would allow air flow and no light. I also think there should be indirect venting on the pod lid. Let some heat out and maybe help with humidity and cooling water. It’s a big experiment :test_tube:. I’m just hoping for my first grow to be successful. :+1:t2::sunglasses:

2 Likes

This helps to block a lot of the light, but the fans in the Grobo are not the most powerful, so I worry about heat build up. You can vent this UP except that lets some light out. Not a super lot, but down gets rid of all the light, up vents better but still has a little light coming out.

2 Likes

I used these and spray painted them black. I have 2 more I can use to try to block the lower 2 fans, I put one on each side of it.

1 Like

I think I would point them up because it’s blowing warm air to the intake fans. Point them up an put another set on it. Pointed to the back or front? Just my opinion. Mine is in the kitchen so I don’t see it and can’t be seen from outside. :+1:t2:

2 Likes

Thanks, I do switch them around up/down as I worry. I will put them up as I thought that too before about the lower fans. Mine is in the pantry in the kitchen so no one can really see it unless over.

1 Like