Water Level Sensor Shield and Drying Rack (Prototypes)

Good morning AG,

I wanted to check in with all of you and provide you some feedback with a new delivery I received from the Grobo team last weekend! As always a big thank you to the entire Grobo Team!

Let’s start with the WLSS, this acrylic cover sits atop the reservoir tank while providing your roots the space to safely grow without risk. This shield is a great addition to the unit and will be necessary in future iterations!

I would like to see what other materials were explored as I have a few suggestions and ideas I believe may be of interest to your R&D teams.

Drying Racks, first thoughts out of the bag is BADASS! These little guys are super versatile and can also double as a nice support for once your plant begins to mature in its grow! 3D printed caps with strong magnet with what resembles a fishing line type material. I will have the honor and joy of using these rack in the coming weeks as harvest is closely approaching!

Again, if possible would like to see what other options of caps your R&D we’re exploring. Overall, I’m very pleased with the peices and I know the rest of you will be too!

Side Note: I will have to post pictures later as I have not had the opportunity to do so yet. Look for the pictures this evening!

6 Likes

@Rich if you have any R&D ideas feel free to shoot them over to me!

1 Like

@Rich Glad to hear about your feedback. At this moment we hadn’t explored other materials as fit and function was the main concern.
For our drying racks: We’re currently testing a thicker filament that is tinted so it’s easier to see inside the unit and feels more durable.

Water level shields: We used a clear PETG material as we thought from a user experience it’s better to see the water levels sensors but weren’t really sure if it’s necessary. Options to do a black ABS to match the water tank could be explored.

Feel free to shoot us ideas, would love to hear them.

4 Likes

Here are a few pictures of the drying racks

Will take pictures of the sensor shield this Saturday during reservoir change.

@OGJ a darker filament on the drying racks would be a great idea as they are a bit of a challenge to see against that white backing. However, really love the overall experience and versatility.

@Chris I’ll send you a message later this afternoon.

Thanks!

3 Likes

Update: Pictures of the Water Shield inside the reservoir.

@OGJ the water shield worked perfectly this morning! Definitely think working on the overall size can be improved, but this thing is a must moving forward.

@Chris I haven’t forgotten about you, I’ve just been busy! Expect to see something from me by Monday!

6 Likes

@Rich I’ll keep my eyes peeled :slight_smile:

I notice the right side isn’t over the water tanks. Is this because of the thickness you mentioned? We’re reduced the thickness of material to 1/16". We’re still going to maintain the clear material for sensor visibility but I’m really glad that they are working.

3 Likes

@OGJ you are correct! I was thinking of cutting the overall width of the cover as it’s simply just to stop the tangling of roots. Thickness improvement will definitely be most helpful!

Have you explored using the location of the impression where the shield currently is hanging from? Rather than making it so wide, place the focus on just the sensors location without taking away any additional space from the plant inside the reservoir. Maybe overall width 4” (this is just a quick thought, I’d love to discuss further ideas though) would suffice more than what we’re looking to achieve. There isn’t a large need, in my opinion, to take away as much space as we currently are with the prototype shield.

I can put together a sketch of what I’m trying to get across if this is not making sense. Things tend to get lost in translation at times or I’m just confusing the hell out of the reader. So if that’s the case please let me know!

Appreciate the feedback!

1 Like

Hi Rich,
A sketch would be great.
The reason for the size and location is to prevent the shield from being pushed around by the roots and causing issues with the sensors. I’m always open to exploring suggestions.

1 Like

New to this forum and just came across this post! I too, just received the drying racks and water level sensor shield.

The drying racks are killer. What a great idea, and I’m happy to see that possibly thicker/darker filaments on them is in the works. Would definitely make them easier to see.

The shield fit perfectly in our reservoir and I imagine that it will work great at keeping creeping roots away from the sensors.

7 Likes

Hi rainstorm3, Just a quick tip. Run your pH and EC sensor wires along the right side of the water tank towards the front of the tank. This will prevent roots from tangling themselves into them once your plant gets big. I’ve uploaded an image of how the wires and hoses should look for reference.

6 Likes

Thanks @OGJ I’ll do that next time I’m in the box. Cheers

1 Like

Hi Jason! That’s a great screen shot of how to arrange the wires. I didn’t see a tube for your air pump in your screen shot, how should that be arranged? (Just curious since I have a ticket in with support)

Hi SterlingNico - I’ve run the air hose line along side the flush fill hoses. Just make sure not to restrict the air flow. Hope this helps. If not, let me know and I’ll post another image with hoses specifically.

1 Like

Ahhhh! I see that now. Your air pump hose looks a lot different than mine. Mines a smaller black air hose. Yours looks more bulky and white. I’m guessing you guys changed the hosing out at some point in later units.

1 Like

Is there a way to remove the bin and see the underworkings? I’m trying to save myself some time between support request. Either my air pump appears to not be working because the air hose isn’t connected… or the air pump really isn’t working. I figure I can eliminate at least the air hose being disconnected if I can physically see it. I’ve tried to feel for vibrations by removing the back access panel and don’t really feel any, so of course my tinkering mind wants to dig in further to try and fix it. (And hopefully not void any warranty)

@SterlingNico I know the team was working with you, is this all sorted now?

Hi @bjorn

I think so! They’re sending me what I need on Tuesday I think!

Very excited!!

Thanks for checking in!

1 Like

@OGJ and @Stephen I have dumb request. can u guys point out where exactly is the water level sensor on the unit? I don’t have a water level shield at he moment. Robyn is sending it when they are done manufacturing it. Robyn suggested it might be the cause of why my grobo is stuck in drain mode.

I’m assuming it’s the high and low fill tubes? What do u guys suggest to keep that area clear of the roots until the water shield arrives?