Upgrades you would like to see in the future

I second every single item you’ve mentioned, very well thought out list of additions.

Very interesting ideas. I look at current price point for this product and I see a lot of the suggestions that we ( the consumers) would agree would be enjoyable convenience additions or much more important additions like hardware. And while I agree. My concern, or question, would be… What does that look like from the buyers end? If the current price point is where it is now, without those additions. I can only imagine where the price point would be for the unit we’re asking for. I do agree however that this product has the potential to be a truly CUSTOM made designed unit. I for one hope that this is the product and company that can one day grow enough to provide those options. I’m sure a heavy majority of the current grobo customers would love to see options when buying their unit. Options such as the ones mentioned by @SWSVIC @DEisen and many others (forgive me for not mentioning cause there are many great idea that have been given) on AG. I do believe most feel the same way and would like to see success with this product development and the growth of the company.

2 Likes
  • Add an ethernet port, giving us the option to hardwire the Grobo to the LAN for a more stable connection, instead of relying solely on WiFi.

• Add a dedicated on/off power switch.

• Replace the electrical lock with a mechanical keyed lock, maybe like the ones they have on filing cabinets or tool chests. Relocate it to the middle of the door (instead of at the top) to result in a better, more even seal.

• Improved sealing around the device to reduce or eliminate leakage of both smell and light.

• Make it easier to move, maybe by adding handles to the sides.

• Provide an API to query, where we could write our own applications that interface with our Grobo (allowing us to collect data from the unit, manage certain functions, and automate tasks related to it).

And the biggest one…

• SHOW US THE SENSOR DATA

You can do this in a number of ways… easiest would be to simply add monitoring dashboards into the Grobo app.

Alternatively, add a built-in LCD display, for displaying data collected by the on-board sensors. Grobo could run an internal instance of something like InfluxDB + Grafana, and easily visualize this stuff right there in the box.

7 Likes

Any and all of these suggestions would be an amazing benefit to Grobo growers.

1 Like

I would love to change the name of a grow in my journal. When using a generic recipe, I want to be able to name my journal with the actual strain.

2 Likes

Great feedback!

I see ya’ll, I hear ya’ll and improvements are in the works. We won’t get them all, but keep the suggestions coming for sure. You can have a big impact on the current and future iterations by continuing to let us know what works for you. Keep it up!

Cheers,
Stephen

3 Likes

I as well as EVERYONE else is all about the sensor data! Submitting a ticket just to get a response saying “it’s within parameters” is pretty annoying.

1 Like

Two things I would like to see in future models:

• No smell instead of smell reduction
  • possibility to leave Grobo unattended for 2 or more weeks
2 Likes

I just wanna see one that can produce 2.5 to 3 oz guaranteed that’s all lol

3 Likes

I haven’t purchased yet, but will be ordering this week. I agree with fanatic I would love to see the ability to have Grobo go unattended for 2 weeks or more. I split time between my primary residence in NV and a vacation home in the Pacific Northwest.

The primary maintenance that I see is the required drain and refill every 7 to 10 days. The system has two hoses, one for filling and one for draining. Why not route the drain tube out the bottom and then into a large vessel to receive the drain water and then have the fill tube sitting in a large vessel filled with your distilled or RO water? Seems to me that this should be a fairly straight forward adjustment to tube routing and programing.

Any other options for unattended growing?

4 Likes

@Tommy it IS possible to do remote drains and fills… however, there has been a couple issues of the Grobo slightly malfunctioning in this case and no way to confirm if the LEDs will return to normal or not get stuck in the Drain/Fill mode. Typically I think it works okay but since i’ve been on the forums I saw someone who had it get stuck in Drain mode while on vacation.

3 Likes

I believe this would be possible without any programming changes right now… Pryomancy has a good point about confirmation of Drain / Fill so alI I would add is possible a camera to confirm it drained and filled your buckets you have waiting…

Also you would need extra water waiting for weekly top off’s (mostly needed when in flower).

1 Like

@Tommy and @Mpower11
Yes, theoretically this is sound and possible. I was one of the guys that did a remote top-up since I was away for a week during late flower.

The issue I ran into was the 1 gal of water I had for the top-up was not enough so the system was kinda “stuck” in Fill mode. I have WYZE 1080p cams inside and outside the unit so I could see everything. Thankfully I had the Grobo plugged into a smart power outlet and was able to remotely power cycle the unit and it returned to normal.

I must say, there’s something about these cannabis plants that they need TLC from the owner. :green_heart: It’s like they need personal interaction every so often to really thrive.

5 Likes

Thank you!

I have a number of the WYZE cameras and many remote capable outlets so this will be a good add. Now…I just need to pull the trigger on my first GROBO! :slight_smile:

2 Likes

That’s a good tip on the smart plug… It’s on a path I will not be taking tho… I agree the plants need our care… I use the buddy system if I have to go away

3 Likes

Ethernet would solve wifi problems

2 Likes

I am willing to bet that there is a ethernet connector on the board, just need to find the right ethernet adapter that can connect to that specific board. I am going to see if I can find any pics of the motherboard. If I can figure out the boards manufacturer it should be easy-peasy finding out if there is a connector for ethernet on it.

I don’t think that it is possible to just add an ethernet connector to the board, because the phy/mac/memory/spi isn’t there to support one. The software loaded onto the board (grobo os) would also need to change to support a mod like that.

The motherboard and breakout boards in our grobos are proprietary. The chips used are commonplace but the board design is not.

1 Like

Cool would like to here what you found
Maybe Grobo support seems like you could add usb or Ethernet

I was looking at some pizza pics of the board and it looks I Ike they are custom made for Grobo. There is a USB port on the board so you could add a USB hub and get a USB Ethernet adapter for it. Only issue is if the Linux, Windows, or proprietary.

If it’s Linux or Windows you shouldn’t have any issues adding a USB Ethernet adaptor.