Transition or not?

Should I extend my late veg or let my plant go into transition? I am a little above the first fan

6 Likes

Hey @Leafy271 what strain are you growing?

1 Like

Northern lights

2 Likes

Got ya @Leafy271

In that case you’re definitely going to want to extend Late Veg. Until your plant reaches the height of the second/top Grobo fan vent. Being that your plant is pure indica she will not grow as tall as say a sativa or a sativa dominant hybrid (in most cases). In order to see a decent sized harvest, I recommend that you extend. :call_me_hand:

5 Likes

Have you lollipopped at all? If not I would so it just focuses on your upper growth opposed to all over the plant

2 Likes

Yes I have

I usually extend until the plant hits second fan with indicas. You might still have to push the pod down later or some light bending to keep the height where you want.

1 Like

Yes definitely extend. I’m currently growing Pineapple Express and I didn’t extend before transition when I topped and I’ve stunted the plant about 40+ days.

I’m only now slowly reaching the second fan and it’s just over 110 days…

So yea. Extend.

2 Likes

Here is how i would determine if u should extend your vegetation to avoid stretch issues .

1. Forget if its indica or sativa - your going from seed and pretty much everything u buy is a Poly-Hybrid
  2. Anticipate a 2x stretch for most cultivars except for Haze lineages in which case it would be 3x .
  3. U also want a 18-24 inch space between your lights and the top of the buds to avoid your buds cooking on the top.
  4. If u are unsure, lean towards the shorter vegetation period versus extending it out and your buds will touching the lights.
2 Likes

Wow 18-24” from the Grobo light? I honestly thought we could get much closer (within 6-8”) as the light is quite weak.

1 Like

Same thought here @SWSVIC, 6-8" seems to be the sweet spot in the grobo. Any closer and we really need to watch for burns. My tent light gets quite a bit warmer than the grobo light does.

I’ll be transitioning closer to the 1st fan rather than 2nd fan going forward, flipping “early” as opposed to later; haven’t had much luck waiting longer than that – they always hit the roof.

4 Likes

Fear I waited to long to transition on my current grow. Definitely implementing some veg/transition super cropping within the next couple of days and possibly putting in a second ScrOG 10-12 inches from the light to keep her trained under until week 2 or 3 of flower.

2 Likes

The further u get to the lights, the harder it is for the light to reach the bottom canopy. Personally for me 6 inches is way to close. Ill be using a Par meter to test the light intensity for PPFD and ill update it in my grow. My seedling on my thread is already at 100 par and its super far away from the light at the moment. I always side with the shorter vegetation period vs extending if in doubt. I grew plants that hit the lights and oh boy was it a disappointment in the end product.

1 Like

Which Par Meter are you running?

https://www.amazon.com/Apogee-MQ-200-Quantum-Separate-Handheld/dp/B07Q2C8C1P/ref=sr_1_9?crid=9JOWVJHHOS0D&dchild=1&keywords=par+meter+for+led+grow+lights&qid=1594610936&sprefix=par++meter%2Caps%2C200&sr=8-9

2 Likes

Apogee is definitely the leader of the pack. What is optimal PAR and PPFD for indoor growing? Are you aware of any good articles or research that you might be able to post a link to?

Your going to fall into the rabbit hole even more man. lol. This guy is one of the most respected lighting experts in the world. Watch his other videos when u have time.

2 Likes

I’ve seen bleaching on tips of a bud or two that were within an inch of or touching the light for a few days but haven’t had any issues lower than that, it seems to only be when they actually get so close as to touch the light (cover).

The problem (that I’ve had) with that area is the heat output from the light (causing sweating) more than the light being too bright – that’s what leaving some 6-8" helps with, in addition to less hands-on management required to keep it from hitting roof.

The plastic cover beneath the light seems to be designed to help to dampen the bright spots and spread the light around.

From what I understand the grobo lighting power/spectrum is well tuned (and dynamically adjustable by recipe/etc), with that tuning including the gloss/color of the paint on the walls.

Some higher-end android phones cameras/sensors can already come very close on par/ppfd approximations (there’s an app for that, usually just have to add 15-20% to get actual values); and the grobo seems pretty well tuned already based on typical node spacing/stretching seen in others’ and my grows.

I’d rather be measuring with something like this throughout a grow:
https://www.amazon.com/Apogee-Spectroradiometer-Infrared-Wavelength-Measurement/dp/B07M6P1SDW

3 Likes

Killer deal under $7k! :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

Here’s some prior discourse on this as well:

2 Likes