The New Grobo Start

Very nice!
Question: was there a reason you put elbows on your ventilation?
Would have been out of the way of your doors and more style friendly to have them straight up!

3 Likes

Yes, I had height considerations so I opted for the 90 elbow. Also, if it was all vertical I’m not sure how much weight the box could support. The way I have it, the carbon filter is supported rather than resting all its weight on the odor mod adapter box.

Next grow I am modifying the setup. Plan on using SWSVIC’s black plastic adapter going to a Y duct splitter connected to either a 4" or 6" cloudline + carbon filter. I will rest the carbon filter vertically ontop of the grobo.

1 Like

I totally get the height restraints but taking the mod straight up works if you are on even ground.

Here is one but there are others…
Also one of @KeefGreenLeef

P.s if your just starting your grobo start your light should be lower so your seed doesn’t try to reach too high too fast.

6 Likes

Yeah! Thank you for the reminder on the Start and the light level. I will adjust it!

Here’s why I had the odor mod with a 90 elbow

6 Likes

:bulb::bomb: :eyes::seedling:

3 Likes

So after 6 failed attempts due to dampening off, I went for the peat. Going to wait until late veg before I transplant. This is the first time I have had a plant that didn’t have brown leaves right from the beginning.

9 Likes

Keep to us posted!
Question: when you soaked your coco pod to start germinating did you squeeze most the water out of that pod before planting seed? :eyes::seedling:

5 Likes

Yes, by the 6th time I was a dampening off ninja. I completely squeezed all water out of the cocoa pods, raised them up almost an inch by the last one, used paper towels to constantly pat down the top to keep dry, had multiple fans blowing directly on it and still the plants died. I didn’t try the new trick with the straw that Stephan showed us but don’t want to have to deal with bandaids on a larger issue. Come on peat! Fingers crossed…

6 Likes

Good catch!

6 Likes

Awesome to hear!

3 Likes

So it’s only been a couple days since I posted those pics and the little guy is growing fast and strong. While changing the water I saw the perfect, long and white roots. I have never seen them looking this good. I will never use the cocoa pods again.

14 Likes

Congratulations! Keep us posted! :eyes::seedling:

4 Likes

Nice, those are some white roots! :joy:

5 Likes

@Bplatinum9 and anyone else -

1. Since the only light options are 13hr/11off or 8hr/16off and you cannot utilize a timer to power on the unit since you have to physically press the power button, how does one achieve the optimal light cycle of 20hr/4off that the seedling needs during germination and early veg?

2. At what stage in the grow will this plant be triggered to flower since it’s receiving 13hrs of light? 2 weeks? 2 nodes? 3-4 nodes? The unit claims to be able to grow a plant from 2-6 weeks.

3. Is any water added to the peat pod before placing in the seed?

6 Likes

The start definitely has enough light to germinate, everyone who started theirs up has germinated!
I planted in early veg but like I have said before my cilantro seed was planted the same day and its still growing fine in the start!
Next time I use it I will keep it in longer!
The start is not made for flowering just germination and veg cycles, so 2 - 6 weeks is right!
14 days - germinate = 2 weeks
14 days - early veg = 2 weeks
Then the first two weeks of late veg
Now you may be thinking about an auto and that’s a different story!
Because autos skip part of veg stage and goes right into flower its best to take an auto plant out after germination for transplant.
The peat holds water so I didn’t add any to it, the wick keeps it nice and wet!

8 Likes

Great :+1:t2: details

5 Likes

The covers are back in stock! Just ordered mine :green_heart:

6 Likes

Thanks for the response @Bplatinum9!

This morning I planted 3 seeds - Jamaican Pearl, California Dream, and Lemon Larry OG. All photoperiods.

I plan on transplanting the Jamaican Pearl and Cali Dream into my Grobos in a few weeks and I will grow out the Lemon Larry in the Start since it’s a random bag seed. Let’s see how long a plant can survive in the Start! At some point that 13hr light cycle will trigger the plant to flower and I’m curious when that will happen. This will be an experiment!

9 Likes

@miami5th nice experiment! Looking forward to following. I dropped three seeds in the start this morning

7 Likes

Great idea for an experiment!

6 Likes