SWSVIC’s Bloom Seed Co. Grape Guava 🍇

Down she goes this afternoon!

5 Likes

You just gave me an idear :thinking:

6 Likes

I can hear the gears turning!

4 Likes

So many people on here currently dealing w/damping off issues myself included, I’ve raised my pod up some, have a fan blowing constantly directly on the pod, dap w/paper towel but still my pod is always saturated just wondering if on my next grow which may be sooner than I would like I cut about an inch off the bottom of the pod prior to planting seed and make sure the pod is soaked during germination manually if need be. The pods just seem to be longer than needed? Slightly frustrated and thinking out loud. Anyone see a downside?

5 Likes

I’m wondering if everyone here is running their backup airstone while the water levels are high. I had it noted for myself in my journal to not use the backup airstone until water levels were lower.

5 Likes

personally I’m currently only running the grobo pump and airstone

4 Likes

2 grows started the same time. First showed signs of damping off in early veg so I haven’t advanced out of that stage for fear of it filling to the high float out of early veg. No extra air pump in this unit.

Second grow started damping off in transition once the dwc was filled to the high float. This plant was looking droopy for about a week so I added another air pump + stone and it seemed to perk up. Only recently did I notice damping off starting on this grow.

@SWSVIC - What was your idea that was prompted by my post? Are you thinking about modifying the existing lid? Find a way to improve the drainage of the existing setup? Like drilling holes into the cocopod holder underneath the lid? Or cut out sections of plastic ?

I think cutting the bottom of the cocopod could be a good workaround too. Let’s continue brainstorming!

4 Likes

3rd times a charm… :expressionless:

Restarted grow due to Damping Off. This time around I found an “old stock” cocopod (it is new, just a previous batch from grobo, you can see that it is a bit shorter than the new ones). I also added drainage holes to the cocopod slot on the reservoir lid (thanks for sparking the idea @miami5th). I am running my aeration at 25% and will adjust as necessary throughout the grow based on water level for each growth phase.

I decided to take a couple of cuttings from her. Should they root I will be planting them in my Grobo Start which should be here shortly as I have been selected as an initial tester.

11 Likes

@SWSVIC Awesome! How did you make those cuts? With a dremel circular saw or something?

4 Likes

Adding holes to the pod holder is a good idea, only downside you’ve gotta hope you don’t need to push the pod in the res for that extra headroom later as I’m sure you’ll have roots coming out the holes to contend with

3 Likes

Correct, Dremel w/ circular cutting tool. Not the cleanest of work, however it won’t bother me as I can’t see it when the lid is installed haha. Not to mention I have a new lid coming for the upcoming peat pods so if it screws anything up.

4 Likes

That pod is definitely shorter than the one I’m currently using

2 Likes

Through proper plant management/timing I plan on avoiding that issue. However you are absolutely right, that will not be an option as I am sure roots will grow through the slits that I cut. Perhaps a better option would be making rectangular cut outs from the bottom, leaving the bottom open so that roots will slide freely if necessary.

4 Likes

Im curious if roots make it out of those vents

6 Likes

I would be surprised if they didn’t, will report in this in a month or so.

5 Likes

Nice setup! You put some great work into it! :brain::dash:

2 Likes