Something quick

Hey @chris_barfield

Was just posting the comment from the manufacturers site In quotes in which a user claimed the light ran hotter than expected. I have zero experience with the light, but reviews are very positive. The screenshot was from HLG’s website w/ recommended hanging distance. Agree w/ your recommendation and assessment. I considered HLG, fluence bio and several others before settling on Mars.

2 Likes

Gotcha didn’t realize it wa as screenshot but that sp250 is a great light as well would’ve considered it further but for my hvac needs it would’ve ran too hot

1 Like

While you’re here and maybe you’ve had no experience with these and completely unrelated to your topic (sorry), what is your opinion on those hanging co2 bags? I’m getting tired of messing with the milk jugs and creating my own diy co2.

Would rather enjoy a permanent solution

Cost isn’t really a problem, but I’m not sure I would benefit from a co2 tank

Thanks in advance

1 Like

So co2 doesn’t work unless you’re light can push ppfd farther than 800. If your light is not pushing past those limits then co2 honestly is may not be absorbed … with that being said in order for the higher ppfd to be functional the stomata have to open wider than normal which means hotter temps to get the stomata open big enough to absorb the co2 to better be able to handle the higher ppfd …

The bags do work but you must have all the other stuff dialed in … if you don’t then ultimately would be pointless and could hurt the plant by having too much co2 …

4 Likes

I’ve got one of those CO2 bags, but it’s not doing anything other than being a prop by holding the back of my tent away from the heat coming off the “brain” of my grobo when the tent is zipped up and vacuumed in…
I really like the HLG specs, but not sure I want to attempt to build 1/4 of one, any other great lights for a 2x4? Also looking into using the air pot, anyone use those? I’m such a noob…

1 Like

I use cloth pots and get great reuslts

1 Like

I have two LEDs for two tents. Happy with the results of both.

Mars hydro sp250 which I’m using in a small tent for clones and seedlings and a mars TSW2000 that is in my veg/flower tent. I may be mistaken, but I think Chris is using the bioengineering fluence spyders which are much better than my lights, a bit on the pricey side (5 times the price of my most expensive light - you get what you pay for). Really impressive lights, but could t justify the price for my application. I’m in smart pots/soil that I picked up off amazon. I like them a lot better than the plastic pots. Picked these up as well Plant Caddy with run-off tray makes it easy and convenient to catch and test run-off

5 Likes

How do you like this light? did you have great results?

@Mcmanis The TSW is a solid light. When I swapped out the sp250 for the TSW I had noticeable differences in how quickly the plant was growing in comparison. I still really like the sp250, but imo better suited for seeding/veg.

My only issue with the TSW is how much more heat it put into the 3x3. The difference in heat was about 5 degrees warmer at 12 inches in comparison to the sp250 which puts off virtually no heat. This extra heat required me to setup a cool air intake to keep ideal temps which wasn’t needed w/ the sp250. None of this is an issue in a slightly larger space. There are two drivers mounted on top and you can adjust the lights strength using a short screwdriver if heat becomes a problem.

Only on Day 28 of Flower, but I’m glad I purchased and happy with the light.

Here is the AK strain that I schwazz’d under the same light.

The short red/blue light (in the pic above - I turned blue off) is just a supplemental light I intended to rig together and drop into the center of the manifold on the left for a 360 light. It’s shite imo and didn’t work for what I needed… also, It’s built in timer cycles lights on faster each day by a minute. I didn’t notice this for two weeks. I dont recommend it and once this Grow is over it will likely be recycled/shelved, but is currently in use to add some extra reds.

Grows are going well, thanks for asking

6 Likes

I thought QBs arent supposed to generate heat. My tent is only 2x4 that might be a lot of heat for me.

I was under the same impression, but it does in fact raise the temp by 5 degrees in my 3x3 without air intake. I don’t think the boards puts off the heat it’s the drivers that gets hot. The heat is noticeable after about an hour at 100% strength. If you’re interested in buying one I would recommend amazon to take advantage of the 30 day “no hassle free return” policy. Mars has most of their lights and tent lineup on amazon. I considered sending the sp250 back, but instead bought a second smaller tent for clones and seedlings and moved it there.

The sp250 didn’t raise my tents temp at all, but imo requires some extra reds in bloom. I see many commercial growers on Instagram using the sp250 or several in their spaces, but they also use other lights most of which appear to be cobs or other supplemental lighting w/ the sp250’s. The sp250 is marketed as seed to bloom and it would do just that, but imo it lacks enough red to pack on mass we all want in bloom.

Hope this helps

1 Like

Those cobs you speak of are usually far red initiators … and honestly spectrum performance will always depend on strain as some strains have and don’t have or have more of or less of certain spectrum wants … you might have an og kush who grow great under a really red spectrum and then might have a haze that does not like too much red and might actually do worst … And all lights give off heat no matter what especially if you do t have ventilation adequately setup … the difference is the lights are way more efficiency which means less heat … the drivers are a big factor in heat … the better the light the better the efficiency … also depends if your light is running 5 watt diodes or 3 watt … obviously the higher the watt the stronger the diode but more heat off the diodes

4 Likes

Couldn’t have said it better myself! :+1::+1::v::v:Exactly what I was thinking as I was reading this thread :joy::joy:

1 Like

I emailed you. you never responded lol

Welp I had to chop the girls down my clones were getting way too big in my smaller tent and needed the space … but I’d say they did well …couldn’t fit the entire haul in the pic as it’s taking up the entire 2x4 tent… but the tomato trainer is stacked from side to side… wonder what the haul will be … after 48 hours of 70degrees and 54% humidity and the smell is starting to take off in the tent… right now it’s a sweet garbage smell if that makes sense

8 Likes

Next up is the jbeezy cut wedding cake , top right , animal cookies 09 top left, mac1 caps cut bottom right and sundae driver #19 bottom left… gotta do some training but I’m excited for these !!!

9 Likes

@chris_barfield,

((#Harvest)): :clap:

--

:wink::smiling_face_with_three_hearts::sparkling_heart:

((#TheyAreLookingVeryHappy)): :smiley:

((#StillWatchingYouGrow)): :eyes:

--

:green_thumb:

3 Likes

Holy harvest Batman lol. Man you and @Kaneh always have the craziest sounding strains. I wish I had easy access to them lol

4 Likes

Waiting for somebody to grow wedding cake! Keep us posted Chris…

4 Likes

I think a couple people have before… But Chris probably has it down!

3 Likes