Raspberry Pi Addition

So I was seeing everything people did to get pictures and temperature readings and stuff like this out of their units and I tried a few things, like the sensor push, the blink camera, etc. None of them fit the bill entirely so I made my own. It’s all run off of a raspberry pi computer, two sensors, one for ambient temp/humidity, the other for water temp, with an attached camera module.

The little bit of software captures a picture every hour and uploads it to the cloud, so I’ll have a cool log of the grow. It also returns the temperatures and humidity in a format that’s suitable for a web page, so I created a page for it. Take a look, let me know what you think. I’ll share the source, BOM, and schematics if you want.

21 Likes

Veey cool₩!

3 Likes

Nice! Hopefully the humidity doesn’t mess with your gear.

3 Likes

@420farms,

• (#Magnify): :mag_right:

• ((#GoodIdeas)): :brain::bulb:

Magnify..--

Magnify..1c--

Magnify..1f--

--

:mag: :microscope:

- - -

• (#WaterProofGear): :umbrella: :green_thumb:

--

3 Likes

I like that, that’s exactly what I was shooting for. I went a little further in that I’ve added the water and ambient temperature sensors, but yeah, that’s the idea. This thing is like a hacker’s dream come true.

4 Likes

Right on

It’s pretty basic, raspberry pi, pi camera, and a couple sensors. I upgraded the camera module with this to allow controlled focusing via the i2cset: amazon /gp/product/B07TYKH1KC/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o08_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

water sensor: amazon /gp/product/B07VWTFZXC/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o09_s01?ie=UTF8&psc=1
temperature and humidity sensor: amazon /gp/product/B01DKC2GQ0/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o09_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1
if you want a little more accuracy you can get the dht22, the pinout is the same. For both of these you’ll want to use a pull-up resister of 4.7k, connected between the voltage and data pins (red and yellow)

Both sensors connect to 3.3 volt pins on the pi, and ground of course. The data pin for the temp/humidity connects to pin GPIO pin 7, the data pin for the water connects to pin GPIO 4. The water sensor is a 1-wire interface that is enabled via the w1_therm module.

Source code is at bitbucket dot org /lane_maxwell/grobo_monitor/src/master/

Let me know if you have any questions. I had to break the links up to get them to work

1 Like

Any possibility of adding pH, EC, and PPM meters?

Funny you should mention that, I’ve ordered pH and EC sensors and waiting for them to arrive. As I add more sensors, I’ll probably create a hat for the pi to make them easier to connect, it’s a bit of a pain in the ass to keep track when they’re individually connected to the various pins.

4 Likes

Very cool, will be interested to see your final product. A lot of potential use in something like this for grow tent setups.

1 Like

Like this, minus that huge patch of cords at top. Will get in the way of grow

I would still like to see Grobo open up the sensor data. I understand they are catering to people that want to set and forget there grow - But losing outon a piece of the market that wants to at least see the readings.

I will give them props for recent software improvements though

3 Likes

Yeah, they may interfere a bit, keep in mind they are at the very top of the Grobo, the bottom of that coil is about 6" from the top, I think if my plant grows that tall it’s at a bigger risk of getting burned by the lights. This was just a first pass, MVP, proof of concept kinda thing and I didn’t do a very good job of making those sensor wires shorter. I’m working on a hat with surface connectors and I’ll make the lines to precise lengths.

I agree with you, come on Grobo dudes/dudettes, hows about an API that we can at least read the sensor data?!?!? @Stephen if you read this, please pass it along to your engineers to see if we could get this in the backlog, would be way cool and allow your growers to create some killer add-ons for it.

3 Likes

I third that motion :pray:

2 Likes