Light brown on leaves

Does anybody know what the discoloring on the leaves is from?

3 Likes

Most likely simple nutrient burn from your baby being introduced to nutrients. A few other diagnostics that you can run on your own are:

-Confirm that the air stone in your reservoir is producing plenty of bubbles.

-Check temperature of the water in your reservoir, it should be below 73.

-If you have a handheld pH meter it wouldn’t hurt to check the pH of the water in your reservoir.

3 Likes

A multitude of things. Wouldnt be too worried unless it keeps showing up.

4 Likes

As @SWSVIC and @Todd.grobo mentioned its not a huge deal. You can open a ticket with support if it persists, that way @Stephen can take a look.

4 Likes

Thanks everyone. It doesn’t look like it’s continuing on, it’s mainly on the first 2 fan leaves. See the pics attached.

3 Likes

Yup. Likely got a nute butn when the roots hit the water. Looks ok to me

2 Likes

you can cut them off

2 Likes

I cut them off but now I noticed some of the leaves curling downward. What causes this? And what do I do to fix it?

1 Like

What is your water temperature, temperature in the grow space, and relative humidity in the grow space? Have you submitted a support ticket to the Grobo team yet?

1 Like

I haven’t checked any of these

Here at some pics of the roots.

2 Likes

Looks like beginning stages of root rot. @Russel_Richardson @vegetato you guys have any advice?

1 Like

It does look like it may be root rot. It causes the roots to be blocked from taking in oxygen; the lack of lateral growth (the horizontal nubs that came out but stopped) are a sign of that although it might be a bit too early to tell by that alone. The brown stuff is the biggest clue, that doesn’t look like nutrient stain this early in the game.

Some immediate things you can do:

• Lower temperature in the room if possible, below 70°F

• Drain the reservoir and move the unit to a cooler place in house (then refill it) if that’s possible.
    • Can also remove the little trap door at the rear, and make sure there’s some airflow there. use a fan or something to circulate fresh (cool) air toward the bottom half of unit
    • Also, make sure the hot air from the top of unit isn’t just recirculating into the unit and heating itself up; if it’s too close to a wall or in a corner this can occur, and again the fan circulating across the back of unit can help here
  • Get some hydroguard (or similar product) if you can’t keep the temps below 70°F, or get some anyway as a precaution; it goes in the water with your drain/fill and fights bad bacteria (to prevent that problem)

• Rinse off the brown stuff, you can fill a cup halfway with distilled/RO water and some hygrogen peroxide (h2o2) and just dip them in and clean them off; if you don’t have any h2o2 yet I’d probably use tap water for this step

• Something like this:
    • Note that once you do this you wll absolutely need to keep those temps down, and/or have hydroguard applied to the water; this does get rid of the bad stuff but also leaves the roots vulnerable (as it killed off any good bacteria as well)
  • Also might want to clean out the reservoir if you can’t get the temps down immediately, to reduce your chances of it gaining a foothold again. If you can keep temps down around 68° for long enough there’s a (slight) chance it’ll just die off on its own, but usually this calls for a full cleanse of the reservoir.

• I recently had a similar scare with my grows and managed to get through it without cleaning my reservoir, but I “bombed” them with something similar to hydroguard and believe that was enough to kill off the bad bacteria in my case. If/when you have hydroguard, you can try using a double-dose for a few weeks similarly but temperature is also important to maintain (below 70°F) for that to work.
8 Likes

Thank you! I followed all of these steps. I will continue to Keep a close eye and ask more questions.

1 Like

I finally got the Hydroguard in the mail, how much should I use?

The directions state to use about 2mL per gallon. I believe most people use somewhere in the range of 5-7.5 mL per fill. I personally used about 12mL per fill.

How big of a bottle did you get? There’s no issue in using a bit too much aside from exhausting the supply too quickly, although using it too slowly it will expire on the shelf – it’s mentioned on the bottle that it’s to be used within 6 months of opening.

2 Likes

I have run 6mL per 3 Gallons Distilled Water throughout my entire grow with great results. Mix it into your fill bucket prior to filling your unit to ensure proper dosage.

4 Likes

How long does it usually take before it starts grow like normal?

Should see the leaves start to “stand up” instead of sag the next day or shortly thereafter, and new growth should start to come in faster/nicer. The older stuff doesn’t really get better – it’ll eventually die off.

Day by day you should notice some slight improvement if not a lot. If it’s not looking like things are improving they might not be.

If it’s not getting any worse that’s good but within a few days to a week you should have an idea as to whether or not it’s going to push through. Have any more recent pics?

3 Likes

This is what she looks like today

1 Like