Late Vegetation (Day 1) Fungus Gnats?

So my plant looks good, so far as I can tell. I do have a question though, when I opened the door today I saw little bugs flying all over the place. Where the frack did this little dudes come from!?!? I’ve put a fly trap in there hoping that gets them but there’s quite a few of them. Googling has found that they’re likely fungus gnats, has anyone else encountered this and if so, how’d you get rid of them?

4 Likes

I’ve heard that for bug problems, Neem oil is the answer. I’d post a link but can’t yet, maybe read up on neem oil or wait for a more experienced grower to chime in.

1 Like

Thanks, man. I’ve ordered some neem oil and will give that a shot, from what I’ve read it’s an all-natural fungus gnat destroyer.

1 Like

All natural bug destroyer :rofl:. There’s a feud between whether to spray leaves directly or put a bowl in from what I’ve read…I have no comments there, haven’t had to use it. I’d wait for an experienced grower to chime in on that.

Definitely fungus gnats, see below:

4 Likes

This is what I use as a preventative measure.

https://www.amazon.com/BONIDE-PRODUCTS-Bonide-022-32-Ounce/dp/B007CRG4CW/ref=sr_1_5?crid=1MB9S21WLT4QC&dchild=1&keywords=neem+oil+spray+for+plants&qid=1596582629&sprefix=neem+oil+spra%2Caps%2C144&sr=8-5

3 Likes

Thank you, that’s exactly what I bought. I’ll report back if this gets rid of them, there were probably 10-15 of them buzzing around in there

They are like cockroaches, for every 1 you see there are 100 you don’t see. Good luck!

1 Like

Also try this it monitors illuminates Nats and monitors at the same time. The Yellow paper believe it or not works really well…lay it flat under plant DO NOT! Let it touch your plant it’s extreamly sticky and won’t let go of leafs and stems.

Granules put in small lid or saucer bit of water under plant
Never used nematodes before

Don’t know if this works in Grobo but it works in my tents …something is to Moist NATS!

2 Likes

I used one part hydrogine peroxide 3% and 3 parts Water sprayed top of Coco pod not alot but enough to kill the larve they place in Coco pod. And used yellow sticky traps on top of reservoir cover to catch the gnats when they land. Took about a week to get rid of. But after no more problems.

4 Likes

This sounds like the best option, neem oil possesses one of the worst smells on the planet in my opinion.

4 Likes

That’s good to know. I was thinking of having some neem oil on hand just in case of pest. But maybe I will keep reading up see what other options. Thanks :+1:

1 Like

The smell fades quickly, and the carbon filter removes the odor from the air being pumped out.

Worst smell IMO goes to Limburger cheese and Durian fruit. If you include flowering plants then the worst smell would go to the corpse flower (titan arum).

3 Likes

This is all great information, thanks all. I ordered the neem oil from Amazon, it will be here Friday. In the meantime, I think I’ll give the hydrogen peroxide a go. Hopefully it will eliminate the larva.

4 Likes

For the adult gnats, try vinegar cider mixed with dish soap…put in a small jar or bowl and place tape on both sides leaving a small space for them to fly into… the tape traps them! Works great the Neem oil kills the eggs on the roots

2 Likes

The larvae eat the roots preventing proper nute uptake…

2 Likes

I have a black lab, who loves rolling in anything she can find. I spray my plant once a week as a preventative measure because I am sure she is bringing in some extra friends with her that would love to sink their teeth into my plant.

2 Likes

If you are dealing with fruit flies one method I have found to work wonders is mixing balsamic vinegar with dish soap in a small jar. Shake it up really good and leave it open in the area with the fruit flies. They love the smell of the balsamic vinegar and get stuck on the soap suds and die. Should change it out every 2-3 days.

The nice thing about this is the fruit flies will typically sink to the bottom of the jar.

3 Likes

It helps, but so does throwing his ass in the pool for a good chlorine soak😎hahaha

She loves water, but HATES baths. Go figure. LOL :sweat_smile:

4 Likes