Just pulled the trigger and ordered the grobo premium

I’m excited and a little nervous about my purchase. I own a loft in the Boston and am stoked to finally be able to grow in a convenient and streamlined system. I worry about how loud it may be since it will likely reside in the main living area… also wondering whether the starter kit will be enough for my first grow. On that note how fast is the turn around on supplies and how often do people tend to stock up for a single unit?

11 Likes

Welcome to the forum @liddellOnus. Most likely you will want to have an extra set of nutrients for your first grow. Most growers are extending their late veg stage to get the plant where they want it height wise which adds time to the grow in turn using more nutrients. As for noise it should be fine in a main living area but wouldn’t recommend a bedroom. If you read through the forum you will find lots of useful information on everything there is to know about the box and the cannabis plant in general. I’m still in the process of my first grow so still learning myself but there is lots of great people here willing to help if you have any questions.

7 Likes

First time grower myself. My experience with the unit has overall been good although it came with a couple of issues which needed to be addressed with tech support but which were quickly resolved. The machine seems to be working fine dispensing the nutes correctly and following the light schedules as per stage. My only complaint right now is the smell which the machine appears to be unable to suppress. That could be an issue in an apartment or other small place. Good luck with yours.

5 Likes

What were the technical issues? The smell of pot? Does the carbon filter not work? My loft has 20ft ceilings and about 1200 sqft open space on the level is be growing.

Thanks

Issue 1: disconnected cables inside box prevented system from receiving signal from the top fill sensor. This was causing tank to overfill and spill water outside.
Issue 2: air stone never bubbled although air was getting to it. Had to get an air stone on my own and put it in.

The smell from the grow is barely controlled if at all by the unit. It is obviously present outside the box even when using odor masking agents and activated charcoal near the vents. I consider this to be a very serious downer for a system that is supposed to be discreet.

4 Likes

Ugh those are pretty serious issues… especially the disconnected cables… had they snapped or just were not connected? Is it something easily checked.
I would imagine you have to change the filter from time to time and shouldn’t have been smelling till the budding stage right?

The smell is quite strong even with the door closed. My unit is in my basement in my furnace room so the only time I smell it throughout the house is when my furnace comes on and moves air around. I’m going to get a carbon filter for my furnace(filtrete makes a 16x25x1 carbon filter). If that doesn’t work I think I’m going to invest in a full carbon filter used for a tent with exhaust fan. I’ve had no mechanical issues except fans not coming on at required stage which was easily reset by support. I wouldn’t be discouraged by your investment. A lot of people on here have had successful grows with little to no issues at all. Do some research on here so you’re prepared when your box arrives. There’s lots of experienced growers (not me yet) here to help anytime. Hope this helps ease your mind a bit

3 Likes

It’s hard to be discourged when I already ordered it. It’s legal to grow a small amount here for personal use so my concern about the smell is minimal. Though my wife might not like that, shell forgive me when I make her some butter for her edible consumption. My biggest concerns are my electric bill and the sound being to loud… again we have a loft and want it on the main floor in our living area seen here.

6 Likes

Beautiful place you’ll be just fine. Hydro consumption is minimal I barely notice the difference

3 Likes

Good morning

I’ve only completed two grows in the grobo, but found a lot of difference in the intensity of the smell between the two. First one was a Hindu Kush, and it was very strong smelling. The second was a Northern Lights and was barely noticeable.

Not a very large sample size to base this opinion on, so maybe some of the more experienced folks can verify - or debunk, but it might not be a bad idea to consider the smell when selecting a strain to grow.

7 Likes

The cables from the drain/fill were completely disconnected. They don’t look like they can easily come unplugged during shipping so I’m assuming that someone putting the unit together simply got careless. The problem was quickly diagnosed by support and it was easy enough to fix. The smell situation has been discussed at length in this forum along with other issues. The instructions for the carbon filter call for replacement between grows but it’s not efficient. I will be looking for one of those exhaust systems after this grow.

2 Likes

Btw, you have a beautiful spread. Congratulations! Noise and light are not a concern at all. The sound from it resembles that of a small fridge, and the only light is that on the front glass which is a nice lilac/violet hue during the light-on time. The unit in itself is pretty good barring any serious problems, but it’s also a learning experience for all Grobo users as it is not a simple plug-and-forget. You should be okay but you must be aware that things can happen. Fortunately, the tech support is pretty knowledgeable and responsive, and you have this forum with a wealth of information along with very nice people who can properly advise. Enjoy your machine and happy harvest!

5 Likes

Love this!! Yes!! :100:

4 Likes

You know, you’re totally right!! I sure never thought of that!! :star2:

5 Likes

What is your estimated ship date?

1 Like

thats a very good question… they said 15-30 days, which seems very very far far away.

2 Likes

Looks like you have plenty of room in that beautiful spread, and light should not be an issue.
The sound is dependent on your sensitivity,
(I like dead quiet, and can’t sleep with noise machines, or loud fans), but it doesn’t seem to bother most people.
The smell however, is not contained. If you’ve never grown cannabis, you’re in for a treat! When your plant starts going into flower, it becomes abundantly clear that a cannabis plant is in bloom, (or someone has opened an 8 pound bag of weed), as soon as someone enters the area.

3 Likes

I’ve never smelled anything unless I open the box and touch the plant, I can then smell it on my hands.
It may be the strain your choosing.
My Grobo sits in my front room.

4 Likes

I don’t even have my grobo yet… I don’t smell anything… I’m just asking…

2 Likes