Hydroton in Grobo

So, I’ve seen a few grows lost, including my own to damping off. Just curious if this can be an issue using clay pebbles? I’ve found a net pot I think will fit in the Grobo pod opening and was thinking about trying it as an experiment. At the same time, I know Grobo was designed for coco, so I’m not even sure it will work. Any thoughts on this are greatly appreciated. Looking to the champs or any hydroton users on this.

4 Likes

From my understanding clay pebbles are best suited for drip irrigation. Unless you are going to run a circulation pump to pump water to the clay I don’t think it will work very well.

3 Likes

Wouldn’t the only issue be before the roots hit the water? Once the roots are in the water, there’s no real need for the hydroton to be wet I would think. Below is from the Royal Queen Seeds website.

Note: When your seeds have just germinated and are now sitting in pots in your DWC, the roots will obviously not be long enough yet to reach into your reservoir. Until this happens, you will have to top-water your plants. Some more elaborate DWC setups do top-feeding/top-dripping where water from the reservoir also trickles directly over the seedling’s roots. However, top-feeding will provide a benefit for about two weeks when your plants have just sprouted, which is why many growers forgo this addition in their DWC setup.

You also have to deal with the particulate from the hydroton settling in the bottom of your Grobo if it wasn’t washed enough. A basket with something like 70/30 mix of coco coir and perlite may be a better option.

1 Like

Maybe I’ll try both :wink:. I’ve got coir and perlite from my mushrooms lying around.

Slowly sits down and reaches for :popcorn:

8 Likes

@Stephen I’ll make sure to tag you in the grow once it’s started.

2 Likes

This grow will be starting Saturday. I’d hoped for more input but, I also hope for a mass fortune sooo…I guess I’m just needy. Wish me luck.

1 Like

It’s on you, you big ol’ pioneer you. :cowboy_hat_face:

2 Likes

I may just change the game.

4 Likes

5 Likes

giphy-downsized-large

5 Likes

tenor_gif681832919656371466001_1599650128273

4 Likes

So, I just received everything I need to start my grow. Net pots are a perfect size, except they don’t go down as far as the coco pod…hoping that won’t be an issue. Until the roots hit the water I will be top feeding. My seed has been germinating in a paper towel for 4 days and is ready for the hydroton. I’m starting my hydroton soak as we speak so I’ll be moving the seedling tomorrow instead of Saturday. Once I start the grow I will be documenting EVERYTHING. I’m hopeful this works as it eliminates the need for the coco pods as well as I think it will avoid the possibility of damping off. I’ve made a couple other additions which will be laid out in the grow.

@Stephen Being that the net pot is shorter… I was wondering if there’s a way to fill to the high sensor at every point in the recipe? If this isn’t possible, I’ll just stick with my original idea of making this happen.

4 Likes

Here’s the link to the grow for anyone interested.

3 Likes

@Stephen I know you were on vacation and are probably playing catch up. I just wanted to ask again…is there any way in my hydroton grow to adjust the Grobo so it fills to the high line in all portions of the recipe?

Hey @FireGuy,

We fill to the mid line in stage 2, all other stages are filled to the max line. We do this to fight ‘damping off’ and to accelerate root growth. (Go find the water, it’s lower now roots!)

We currently do not have an option for the user to adjust our recipes. If you want, you can simply add extra water by hand in stage 2 to get your hydroton to the level you wish. You can pour it directly over the small basket you have in place.

Good luck!
Stephen

4 Likes

Thanks for the response. I don’t think damping off is an issue with hydroton, so I will stick with my original idea of keeping the higher water level. So far, so good in the grow but it’s still young.

3 Likes