“9lb 🔨 auto” Hydroton in Grobo

Well, I’m impatient (working on it :joy:) and my seedling was pretty well grown in the paper towel (about 1.5-2”) so here goes! Net pot fits very well in the Grobo opening. I picked up a 4 inch circular air stone placed directly under the opening as the net pot doesn’t reach as far as the coco pod towards the water. Also picked up a stronger air pump for more bubbles. Hopefully this concentrates the bubbles more directly under the opening to help wick moisture to the higher hydroton pebbles. I asked Stephen if there was a way to fill to the high line throughout the entire grow. If there’s no change that can be made on the Grobo end, I’ve already thought of a workaround. I’m only concerned about water height as I want to keep the hydroton somewhat moist but there’s ways around that. Hydroton was rinsed well and soaked for 8 hrs in a VERY MILD water and Flora solution. I’ll be top feeding until the taproot hits the water with 6.0 ph’d RO water. The root was quite curly so hopefully that doesn’t cause issues with the way the stem grows (it’s as centered as I could get it). Only thing added to the res is 7ml hydroguard as my temps in dessert summer are higher than optimal (water is around 73F with lights on). I’ll update in a couple days depending on how the seedling does. Oh, and it’s “9lb :hammer: “ because I don’t believe it’s true 9lb :hammer:.
@Stephen @Chem13dog @Chad_Johnson @SWSVIC

14 Likes

How did you get the air stone out of the Grobo reservoir without breaking any off/leaving any behind?

2 Likes

Trade secrets my friend :joy:. Since I was taking my res out to clean everything super well (also looking at sensor connections for a workaround for high level fill), I soaked in some “goo-gone” and then put it in the dishwasher on a low temp rinse cycle…popped right off. Oh, after the rinse and removal of air stone, I let the res sit outside in the 100+ temps for a day to evaporate off any of the nonsense left over.

10 Likes

tenor_gif3413094512690056464001_1599795720506tenor_gif4732240110071895204001_1599795867598

4 Likes

Hey growers…I have a PH issue. I need to do a health check but won’t have solutions till Tuesday. Had to pull the lines from bottles 1 and 2 and will be manually checking until I can calibrate my ph probe. :man_facepalming:t3:
I’ve got another seed in a paper towel just in case it’s too late for the seedling in Grobo.

1 Like

Sorry to hear it. Grobo should consider including a packet of calibration solution with the shipment of each unit.

7 Likes

I agree! @Stephen??

3 Likes

Well, after I lost the last seedling due to my ph issue…here’s the new one. This is at 5/10 germ. I’ve been top watering a couple times a day. I’m topping off water every two days to keep it as high as possible until the roots hit the water. Still nothing down below. I’m not impressed with these seeds but going to see it through. Technically this has already been germinating for 12 days, 7 outside the Grobo.

7 Likes

Day 8 of germ (day 15 of life) and water change day. Roots are at the bottom of the net pot so only a day or two before they hit the water. I have been top feeding a couple times a day to make sure the roots were getting water. Now that the roots are constantly wet from the bubbles I think I’m done with that, just have to keep an eye on it.

14 Likes

Nice😎

3 Likes

Looking good

3 Likes

Love experiments, I’m watching this one for sure :popcorn:

5 Likes

Badass!

4 Likes

Great idea @SWSVIC and @FireGuy , this is happening! New Grobo units will arrive with pH calibration solutions soon.

Cheers,
Stephen

12 Likes

Very cool :call_me_hand:

2 Likes

Day 2/14 early veg

She’s looking good. I’m a little concerned as the roots haven’t left the net pot yet to start reaching the water. I may stick with the lower water level at water change to get them to start reaching, playing it by ear.

9 Likes

Awesome brother, very happy young plant.

3 Likes

Just an idea, but would it be easier to allow her roots to stretch in a mason jar a bit before moving her into the grobo lid, since it would be easier to get the water line right at the tip of the roots inside a jar?

4 Likes

Looking good so far. Rock that 9# :hammer:… I wish I had a Garden of that strain​:sunglasses:

2 Likes

That WOULD’VE been easier and better, and I thought about it already. It’s the plan for the next grow. My only issue is starting seeds in straight hydroton is tough. The issue is really that the roots seems to just be curling around the bottom of the net pot instead of going through the bottom towards the water. I almost need some sort of incubation system to start them in hydroton. I have a couple ideas but don’t know if they will work. I’m just hoping the lower water level forces them to reach down.

4 Likes