How many bud sites is too many?

My plant is just a few days into flower and by low stress training and using a scrog it is looking like I have about 20 bud sites. Is this too many and I will end up removing some?

2 Likes

Got a picture?

2 Likes

Alright I count 19 :wink:

5 Likes

How many times did you top?
I try to stay under 2-3 so I won’t have small buds! :eyes::seedling:

4 Likes

I only topped once

3 Likes

You should be good then! :eyes::seedling:

3 Likes

You can’t tell from the picture but daily I roll the stems of the fan leaves between my fingers gently to weaken the cell wall, then I tuck them away. After one day they all come back plus more bud sites.

4 Likes

Well you might wanna stop doing that now that you have enough bud sites! lol!
But if you wanna make a.video of how you do it I’m down to watch! :eyes::seedling:

3 Likes

I’m a shy guy, no video for me but I learned the technique watching Mr. Growit videos. Very helpful videos, he covers everything.

But this leads me back to me question. I am wondering if anyone knows what the sweet spot is 12,16, 20? I know it depends on strain and environment but curious if there was a rule of thumb for the Grobo based on its dimensions.

3 Likes

Not here on the website but if you ask @Stephen, he might be able to answer that! :eyes::seedling:

3 Likes

I did see someone on here say they try to have no more than 6 main branches coming up to the light. Not sure how many individual sites each branch produced and if it was lst to have more sites at the canopy… I would think that 19 will be very full once they start fattening up. What stage is the plant in? I see the fan so did you just switch to flower? If it stretches do you plan to move the screen as it grows taller?

1 Like

It is day 4 of flower right now. I am thinking 12-14 bud sites is ideal. I doubt all 19 will produce good size buds but I’m certainly hoping they do. :joy:

I have a second scrog that I am about to add to help support the buds.

3 Likes

I believe 6 main tops is the max in the Grobo dense buds. Any more and you’ll have larfy tops so I’d do some chopping to those lower branches and try to clone them possibly if you can. If not no biggie.

Keep 6 mains and lollipop them up to the top 12” and leave to rest would be my best advice

2 Likes

Sounds good, thanks

1 Like

Great stuff on this thread. I like to top the main cola, then sometimes top each node that emerges. Often the side branches will catch up, adding to the bud site mayhem. It’s really up to you as more sites will equate to smaller production/bio mass, but more actual buds.

Let us know how it turns out with 19!!

Cheers,
Stephen

7 Likes

@Wake

I would like to advise for you to be cautious of over crowding the grobo. My first grow had around 22 bud sites. For me, it was way too many, and I felt that I needed to use a supplemental light and pull her out of the grobo to sustain all those budsites. Some adjustments may be needed down the line as she gets bigger. Just wanted to put this on your radar.

6 Likes

Thank you @Stephen and @Vicc! I will be watching her closely and will probably reduce the bud sites.

Oh and by the way. I was wondering when my plant was going to start smelling because honestly I haven’t smelled anything to this point. That “wondering” came to an abrupt end this morning when I opened up the grobo door. Like a perfume punch in the face, bam. Wooo hoooo!

6 Likes

My favorite aspect of the growing process is the constant changing of aromas through maturation.

Every week the aroma becomes more elaborate! And when she’s finished she smells so much different than when she’s a live and on the stem.

Bask in the smells now as there is no way to capture them!

4 Likes

no… you can never have tomany tops but make sure your feeding them all check on my videos youll see some cool plants

1 Like