Hack For Low (edit: Raising) Humidity

Haven’t tested how long the effects last for, but I was having trouble keeping my humidity above 42% (with two humidifiers in my livingroom) and accidentally found a way to raise it. I’m on day 3 of germination and my pod seemed dry so I took a spray bottle I had on hand and misted it lightly. When I went to check on the temp & rh level 15 mins later, the humidity had jumped up to 51%! So I sprayed a light mist on the walls and when I checked again the humidity had went up to 62%!

Might try a wet cloth next since the moisture will last longer. I know a small desktop humidifier is an option, but I’m holding off til I’m sure I need it (we only have 1 more month of winter here before wet spring rolls in).

1 Like

Be careful that your mist doesn’t’t breed mold but, I think a wet paper towel on top of your pod temporarily might be ok.
Mostly go by what your plant is telling you, the numbers are just a guideline.

3 Likes

Good point, I’ll make sure to watch it closely. Maybe I’ll wipe the walls down with disinfectant wipes every couple of days too just to be safe!

2 Likes

Use alcohol to wipe down, chemical free.

4 Likes

Will do, thanks!

2 Likes

Update: While the wet paper towel over the pod was helping create a more humid environment for my seed, now that a seedling has emerged I’ve ordered this mini humidifier for $14. It’s just over 2.5 inches wide and 5.5 inches tall and runs for up to 10 hours PLUS they provide free replacements for a year if needed.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B081RCNZYP/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

2 Likes

Wanted to add: since the purpose of sufficient humidity levels is to allow the leaves to intake water from the air (at least from what I read on here), I’ve been misting (not spraying) my seedling with water while I wait for my mini humidifier.

This is my baby so far, Day 8 :blush:

6 Likes

She’s looking :+1: good! Wipe up any drops of water in your grobo to keep from having issues (bugs, mold).

3 Likes

I was so excited to take the pic lol, but I did wipe it right after

3 Likes

@Hellyesshedid,

((#ItIsAlive)): :innocent:

((#IWillWatchYouGrow)): :eyes:

--

:wink::smiling_face_with_three_hearts::sparkling_heart::baby:

3 Likes