First non Grobo grow

My two Fastbuds GSC autos have germinated!
I’m excited for my first grow not using the Grobo. I used coco/perlite with a little mykos and worm castings, and watered with unPH’d RO water during germ.
I’m going to mix up a half and half batch of coco and living soil in 3 gallon pots and amend with slow release fertilizer.
When should I transfer these little guys over? And should I go ahead and start watering with water PH’d down?

8 Likes

Looking good!

5 Likes

@JBizzle,

((#ItIsAlive)): :innocent: (ForAllOfThem):

((#IWillWatchYouGrow)): :eyes:

--

:wink::smiling_face_with_three_hearts::sparkling_heart::baby:

--

:smiling_face_with_three_hearts: :sparkling_heart:

3 Likes

Look at that RH and temperature! :boom:

I added a Purple Lemonade for funsies…

2 Likes

Yup, girls looking spot on :smiling_face_with_three_hearts: As a fellow first-time grower, at this stage, I can only add one thing - DO NOT overwater them, that’s the biggest mistake I’ve made so far, in their seedling stage they need next to no water - less is always more, I’ve learned the hard way :sweat_smile: Given that you’re doing 50/50 soil/coco you can indeed be more generous with watering than I could with just the soil (50% soil /30% perlite / 20% vermiculite), but I can’t give you any precise volume given that I’ve never grown in coco so I’m not entirely sure how big of a difference it’ll make in such a mix drainage-wise, you can safely stop yourself at pouring 80% of whatever the amount you were going to I’d say, it won’t hurt and might save you from what I’ve gone through. keep it up :smiling_face_with_three_hearts:

2 Likes

I’m going organic for this grow, and not using bottle nutes. The medium in the cloth pots is: 35:15 coco/perlite, and about 50% living soil. Amended with 4-4-4, 2-8-4, mycorrhiza, and worm castings.
My light is pullings around 150 watts right now and is about 36" above the pots…

2 Likes

Everything sounds just right - you can experiment though with the height of that light since I’ve noticed that, at least in my case (I’ve kept it just as high during the seedling stage), it caused the plant to stretch above her capacity to uphold its own weight - but I’ve started with only 50W for the first 2 weeks so you might be just fine - depends on how much vertical space you’ve got to work with down the road really :innocent:

1 Like

How often should I be watering these guys?

1 Like

I just use the finger in the dirt technique lol. But I’ve never done a tent grow before, I was growing outside. Inch and a half-2 in the dirt if it’s dry I watered. You could maybe get a soil hygrometer or whatever it’s called too probably at a local hardware store.

4 Likes

Or a self watering system like floraflex.

3 Likes

Even for soil?

1 Like

I believe the round caps might be used for any medium but you’ll have to check to be sure which of their products will work for the medium chosen. @chris_barfield might know!

[404 Error - Link Removed] Floraflex 7-5-12-universal-round-floracap

2 Likes

Water it up to 1.5” or so (finger technique), and let dry out, then re water? Or keep moist?
@Russel_Richardson

1 Like

How often are you watering right now? I always kind of did a small radius around my plant when it was young to get the roots searching for water opposed to what I call baby-ing and pouring it on the plant itself. (Not directly on the plant but you know what I mean lol) Idk my thought is that it’s better for the roots to want to branch out looking for water. But yeah I would just check it every couple days and just water when I felt necessary. I wasn’t giving any nutes though, I was just letting nature take its course. I’d rather it be on the dry side, you don’t want to over water the little ones!

3 Likes

This is what I was taught; the further the roots stretch the taller/larger the plant will be – and the sooner that occurs the more it will (until it hits clay or fills the pot it’s in). I usually try to water about a ½’ - 1’ radius around the plant.

In pots, I usually start watering around the edges first (using most of the water), but find that it doesn’t hurt to splash a small bit in the center after the outer edges are drenched if the plant is still young or if not using much water yet.

FYI - If you are growing outdoors this is an awesome way to feed (can attest that it works really well) – just cut the bottom off of a jug and bury most of it into the ground top-down (so you essentially have a “feeding hole”):

Original Source for that image (ILGM)

For outdoor grows last year we used 4L jugs placed nearly 2 feet away from where the seeds were planted (one jug per plant) – it made feeding super-simple and got quite a bit of water deep into the ground. Those plants passed 11’ in height. :slight_smile:

4 Likes

Awesome info! Thanks y’all! I’ve just been watering when dry (usually once a day), but right on the plant.

2 Likes

:boom: Check out those stats! I watered with some runoff today. Soil PH of 6.4, 56% RH, 75°, pulling about 130 watts from the ES 300. The two GSC @ 19 days; PL @ 12.

5 Likes

My two GSC autos are showing pistils at 23 days old…

6 Likes

Some LST on one of the GSCs. The other one is quite tall, so imma let her go au naturale…

3 Likes

The Girl Scout Cookies autoflower is at 30 days!
Day 23 on Purple Lemonade!

4 Likes