First Grow: Royal Dwarf

Hi all. I’m on germination day 5 of my first grobo grow. Still nothing popping through the pod yet. I was worried the pod may have been getting too wet. The first 2 days the top was damp and the bottom was wet, then days 3,4 the top became quite wet so I pushed the pod upward a little bit based on other threads I read and it seems to be more in the moist rather than soaking wet category but I’m wondering if maybe those 2 days of drench ruined the seed?

3 Likes

@catnamedkringle If you have small tweezers use them to spread the coco pod apart at the hole and peek down to see if you can see any signs of life. If it looks like the seed is still intact you may want to gently grab it with your tweezers to see if it has germinated.

I ran into this same problem, after pulling the seed out of the coco pod I noticed that it had not germinated at all. I grabbed a new seed and started the grow from scratch.

1 Like

I took off the little coco plug on top and saw that indeed there is a taproot coming out of the seed, nice and white. But nothing else so far. I’m guessing this is a good sign still? I’ve only had one other grow before in coco coir with perlite and that one sprouted our after 2 days and grew very fast. So comparing it to that I think I’m just overly concerned

2 Likes

Definitely a good sign, it should pop out in a couple days. If it hasn’t by the 10th day you may need to help it. Not sure what the best way would be to do that though.

1 Like

Hey @catnamedkringle no worries about the pod being too wet in Germ phase (I germinated my seed completely submerged in a cup of water prior to inserting it into my coco pod with the tap root facing down, this definitely sped up the process for me). The extra moisture would most likely have created a problem once your plant was sprouted and growing however, so you did the right thing by pushing the pod up. Is it now sitting even with the reservoir lid or slightly above? Cover the seed back up with the plug and give it a few more days. You will see some action soon!

2 Likes

The pod is probably sitting about 1/3 inch above now, it was flush originally when it was getting soaked. I’d say it’s probably still too on the wet side but looks a bit better. I did plug it back up with the coco as well. I’ll just keep waiting for the actual sprouting. I’m wondering if I should push it even higher up when it sprouts now to be on the safe side?

1 Like

I hear ya, I’m impatient and this is my second seed. Both my seeds popped at 6 days.

2 Likes

Also if anyone cares here is the odor mod I just installed on the grobo from @KeefGreenLeef :slight_smile:

8 Likes

She’s alive! First seed ended up being a dud, tap root just fell off of it. This second seed is going strong it’s day 5 of germ for this one :slight_smile: still royal dwarf

2 Likes

@catnamedkringle,

• ((#ItIsAlive)): :innocent: (Congratulations): (:handshake:)

• ((#IWillWatchYouGrow)): :herb::seedling: (:eyes:)

--

:wink::smiling_face_with_three_hearts::sparkling_heart::baby:

4 Likes

This one is a couple days old :slight_smile: she’s coming along

4 Likes

Looking good, I too had a bit of “scarring” on my early fan leaves. Believe it’s from them fighting their way out of the seed/pod.

2 Likes

Yeah this one is definitely a little different than my past! Think there may be some mild genetic mutations in this seed as well. I noticed of the 2 first fan leaves to pop out one had 5 fingers and the other 3. Always trips me out

1 Like

That is bugged out haha, love these plants.

Today starts day 1 of transition

Messed around with a little LST with a magnetic hook and plant twist ties. But considering this is such a small dwarf strain it didn’t seem to really work so well. Definitely needs more height to make bending effective

1 Like

In comparison I have another auto flower growing in a 1 gallon fabric pot, coco coir & perlite medium, lotus nutes, and a Mini 50w LED Grow light. It was really just to do a what the heck experiment. I started to LST that one in its 2nd week of life and pretty much turned it into a bonsai. Though the reason for the early LST was due to stretching of the plant and I didn’t want to re plant it and disturb it. Here are some progress pics of it on week 5 (early flower) the strain is auto speed bud.

4 Likes

Day 31, halfway through transition.

3 Likes

Hey y’all, she is about to finish transition in 1 day but still not showing any pistols yet. And she’s an auto so I know it can’t be too much longer til that happens. Would y’all recommend extending transition by another week? Or let it go into flower mode?

No point in extending an auto, they flower when they are programmed to. If you don’t see any signs of pistols in a week then you may have a photo period auto, which is similar to a fast feminized. I would say that if you don’t see any signs of pistols in the next 10-14 days you may want to switch to a photo period recipe which will switch the lights to 12 on 12 off. @chris_barfield any thoughts?

2 Likes

Gotcha. I had already gone and extended transition by a week but I figured as soon as I see pistols I would just jump forward to flower stage and have all the nutrients everything readjusted for flowering at that point instead of this early on? In total it’s on day 37 in the grobo, but it didn’t sprout until day 7 or 8, so I think that may be a factor.

1 Like