Critical Mass, outdoor

So I started my outdoor grow. Well…“started”…lol. This plant was started indoors for me and I got it a week ago just wanted to wait until I put her in the ground. She’s quite the bush, he did a great job doing what he did she should turn out to be a beast :crossed_fingers:

8 Likes

Yep, she’s super happy :+1::v:

3 Likes

Her roots have definitely taken to the transplant into the ground. She had some yellowing at the beginning but she seems to have stabilized with the fresh soil

5 Likes

Hey Russ, I’d say from the looks of it you could do some topping if you haven’t already(hard to tell from your pics, but I think those tall girls could be topped), doing that will slow that ventricle growth, and that will give you time to thin her out on bottom and top any spots that are ready below. Basically I’d try to get that canopy as even as possible for when she flowers.

1 Like

Yeah what I was going to do was start to tie the branches down once they softened up a bit, they were really stiff and woody when I got it. Essentially I want to have the bigger branches horizontal, I was doing it with my hands and it really opened it up. There’s already 30+ tops in there under it all…lol

1 Like

That’s what I figured. Just take the tall branches and super crop them. Squeeze the stalk between your fingers just at the top of the bushy canopy. Squeeze and twist until you feel the vegetation give, then bend it out at a 90 degree angle to the canopy. Thus will keep those tall branches horizontal to the rest of the plant and you’ll see new shoots grow vertically from there. Top as many as you can in the bushy part and start lollipoping her. Watch a couple YouTube vids on super cropping, and lollipoping if you’re unfamiliar. Good luck :+1::v::joy:

3 Likes

This was from yesterday but she’s growing really well now. Going to tie down some branches tmrw to let the inside growth have a chance to get bigger, there’s 20+ bud sites so I’m good on topping. I want to get the branches as horizontal as I can thinking that the smaller branches coming off those will the grow up. I’m just going to be experimenting at this point :+1:

These next pics are from a buddy’s outdoor grow, sour kosher is the strain, I’ve never seen leaves this big…lol

8 Likes

Well it’s been almost 3 weeks since I updated my outdoor grow. Tied the outermost branches down to get better light coverage. She seems to be doing just fine :slight_smile: the branches that are now somewhat horizontal have their smaller branches going vertical. I can see some bugs have been doing stuff to some of the leaves but I’m not overly concerned, nothing that’s hurting her by the looks of it.

I did a bunch of lollipopping and took some small branches off that weren’t going to make the cut lol. I can probably do away with more but I felt like that was enough for one day. I’ll take some more off in a couple weeks. Still lots of growing left to do. She is pretty big though so far. I’m 6’1" and the tops in the middle are just at the bottom of my ribcage so I’d guess at least 3.5’ tall

7 Likes

Hey so I have a question. @Osage maybe you could help me with this… Well first off I should have took some pics before hand but I just wanted to remove the affected at the time… I was away on holidays for a little over a week and when I got back a lot of leaves at the bottom of the canopy were completely yellow, some were totally crispy and brown and would just fall off if I looked at them…lol. I’m not feeding it or anything I just wanted to let nature take its course but now I feel like I need to do something as it’s just starting to show signs of flowering. Would this be a lack of nitrogen or does this sound like a cal/mag issue? Idk…I’ve grown outdoor 3 times previous to this and never fed them anything and turned out fine, but I always had them in a bucket or recycling bin, but this one I have in the ground. Could this also be lack of water? I’m trying to not over water but it has been fairly dry this summer for me

To me when I got home yesterday and saw her I was like :scream::scream:. She looked like she was dying from the bottom up. Top half of her looks fine, but not great. I’m hoping I can get a handle on this before it gets worse. For water I’m just using my rain barrel. I’m not ph-ing the water, feeding or anything cause like I said I’ve never done this before or had to with previous outdoor grows just wanted to let nature do it’s thing

Ah haaa. I figured it out I think…:face_with_monocle: lol

Appears to be a nitrogen deficiency, which makes sense, because I haven’t added anything to the soil. And could also be under watered as well, I’ve just never grown in the ground so I don’t know how to properly judge when it’s time. She is like 2-3 times the size that I’ve normally grown also so I believe that is a factor that I just misjudged. Should have probably added some nutes etc but was just looking more for that natured approach lol

1 Like

This isn’t my plant, but this is what it looked like when I got home. But the flower bed that it’s is was also bone dry. So I’m going to watch that a little better, should I get one of those hygrometers for soil that I’ve seen at like hardware stores? Or is that even a thing and it’s not even for that lol.

2 Likes

Just scrolled the thread, those leaves are massive. Some of the biggest I’ve seen (from your buddies garden)

:+1::seedling: :maple_leaf:

2 Likes

@James he had bigger ones a couple weeks later, I couldn’t believe it, could be used as a small umbrella :rofl:

3 Likes

Hahaha! It’s Amazing!

Indica dominant for sure!

What is “sour kosher”
A tasty sativa strain from DNA genetics, Sour Kosher is a cross between the famous “AJ” cut of sour diesel and their very own award-winning kosher kush. The Kush influences slow down the high a bit, leaving you feeling a bit more relaxed and at ease than with Sour Diesel. Buds produce a gassy, piney, and sour aroma and flavor that may perk you up even before you pack a bowl

2 Likes

Man… the more I read… lol. This problem I have could also be improper pH at the roots. I’ve just been giving it rain water, do I really need to pH the water beforehand? I’m using the same water for my tomatoes, red peppers and herbs too and they seem fine for the most part?

And what should I try first I guess is a more appropriate question. See if adjusting pH would help, would require me to but everything needed, pen, pH up/down, or I’m reading to give it some bloom nutrients, as I’m just in the early stage of flower by the looks of her. I just don’t want to hurt my overall yield from her and there is a :poop: load of bud sites I honestly can’t even count lol

3 Likes

Imo you need to ph the water or more importantly check for anomalies. Typically you shouldn’t need to if you have rain water, but if you’re having trouble with your plant then it’s a no-brained to check it.

I had no issues with most of my outdoor grows this year. I decided to start a plant in soil 4 days before my grobo (very late in the game for my climate/area). I start them inside and once I start the manifold I take them outdoors after a week of recovery.

Here is my current day 17 (will be outdoors)

This plant is given nothing but h20 like most of my outdoor plants that receive little more than rain water. As you can see, it’s suffering. Upon checking the water collection I had was really acidic. Yesterday I corrected it and expect to see the plant bounce back in the next 48 hours

Here is the Grobo on day 12 with ideal conditions - no issues

2 Likes

Could I do away with going to my local hardware/garden center for things to check what the pH is or should I just get like a blue lab pen? Not really trying to break the bank but if it would be the better option

1 Like

I have my water collecting in a rain barrel maybe that could be the culprit? But again I’m using it for other things. Idk…lol

1 Like

The bluelabs pen is nice and useful. If you have a reliable meter test the water you’re adding to the outside grow. I have an assortment of meters, and my 62$ pen is as accurate as my 160$ blue labs (very close to the same readings), but as for longevity my best guess is the blue labs will last significantly longer.

WHAT’S THE BEST PH FOR GROWING CANNABIS?

SOIL: 6.0–7.0 pH

If you grow in soil, the optimal pH level for the root zone is between 6.0 and 7.0. However, there is no set number within this range that is “best”. Instead, it can be good to allow for some natural fluctuation within this window to support optimal nutrient uptake. So as you adjust, try a slightly different reading each time. You can, for example, adjust your pH to 6.2 for one watering, then 6.6 the next. As long as it stays within 6.0–7.0, you should be fine. Soil is also more forgiving when it comes to pH imbalances, but it can only give so much.

If you grow purely organically—where you do not administer liquid nutrients—pH is less of an issue. If you’re using amended and composted soil with organic matter, the microorganisms within will make the nutrients more available to the roots. However, most growers using standard potting mixes and liquid nutrients will indeed have to reckon with pH.

BlueLabs Pen Kit - note you’ll need storage solution too

BlueLab storage solution

Cheaper - one unit - Blue labs

Also note, you’ll need a combo of ph 4,7,10 to calibrate properly. I calibrate before every use for guaranteed results although I’ve seen most folks suggest every 30 days.

General Hydroponics - 4.01 and 7 - large quantity

2 Likes