Critical Mass, outdoor

I forgot there’s a hydroponic store in my area but they’re closed today, it’s a holiday for me so I’ll go there tomorrow on my way home from work and see if I can get a half decent pH pen/meter and get this checked out. I have an r.o unit in my house that I could use and just pH the water myself and add a bloom nute but I’d rather not to be honest, I’d be using double the water cause I’m using for the Grobo too

1 Like

Yeah that’s what I didn’t want to really have to do. Get the pen and all that. But I guess it’ll be worth it in the end. Shitty thing is that’s USD so that’ll be a huge hit for me in CDN lol

1 Like

Worm castings - as a natural fertilizer

An Ohio State University study found that worm castings have a substantial effect on the yield of crops. They found that increased yield was due to plant growth regulators produced by microorganisms within the castings. In short, the castings have billions of tiny, healthy bacteria within them that contribute to the rapid germination and growth of plants.

In addition to the beneficial microbes, the USDA says that worm castings are “several times higher in nitrogen, phosphorus, potassium, and magnesium than topsoil.” The nutrients in all-natural worm castings are substantial and they provide the perfect mix that marijuana plants need.

2 Likes

Interesting, I’ll have to look into this further and if I can get this :+1:

1 Like

Thanks for all your input also! :beers:

1 Like

They’re cheap. I pay less than 10$’s for a fairly large bag of worm castings to add into my soil. My outside grow is better than last, but it’s also not nearly as hot this summer and a lot more rain so hard to tell if it’s the affect of work castings or multiple scenario changes.

If you’re growing two of the same strain next, I’d be interested in seeing the two plants side by side. One organic and the other organic with worm castings. My outdoor window has closed for the most part. Anything that wasn’t in the ground by middle of June is likely too late to get a large yield from in my location. Simply not enough time.

No worries that’s why most of us come here. To see pics of cannabis, check out the latest gadgets folks buy and a few extra heads to bounce issues and ideas off

1 Like

Yeah I’ve been here for a year almost and have learned quite a bit and I thought I had some knowledge. I mean I do but not as much as I once thought. These are very complex plants if you want to get into the nitty gritty details of it lol

Yeah I know what you mean by climate I’m in Ontario, Canada and I got mine out the 3rd weekend in May luckily but it was already a well established plant at that point lol

1 Like

Ok, so to answer a few questions. You should be using ro water and most def ph’ing with a good pen. I use blue labs and have never had to buy a new one, just recalibrate monthly. Rain water is sketchy, due to the fact you don’t know what kinds of pollutants are in the air when it rains. This will give you water with different ph’ and whatever else might in the water. I still feed my plants I grow outside when I do grow outside, especially if the plant is in some sort of container. If straight in the ground you’ll need to water more if it doesn’t rain often. Hope that helps :+1::v:

2 Likes

Yeah, damn… Lmao. Well guess I’ll just use the rainwater for the grass when it’s dry or something​:sweat_smile: Crap lol. I mean it makes total sense now talking about it with you guys. I do this for the Grobo more or less… Why wouldn’t I for my outside one. And :face_with_symbols_over_mouth: I just watered it last night when I got back cause it was dry. I’ll be getting a pen and guess I’m using more r.o water lol…

1 Like

https://store.indoorfarmer.ca/collections/ro-systems-filters/products/hydro-logic-go-green-hose-filter-1

Hey @Osage what do you think of this? Cause my r.o. unit is fairly small, it’s just enough to fill the Grobo then I need to wait until it refills if I want to use it for something else

3 Likes

I don’t know about that one. I sue a countertop unit and it works great for me and about the same price. Takes a while to fill a 5 gal container but not a problem for me here:

4 Likes

Damn I never thought about bottling the water… :exploding_head: Haha. Man game changer, and such a simple one at that

3 Likes

Yeah maybe I’ll just use what I have. This is mine

3 Likes

Yeah, just check the ppm of the water after it’s run through the filter. The closer to zero the better. I get absolute zero ppm, but the ph of the water is typically right around 8.5. Super high, but nothing a little ph down won’t take care of. :+1::v::joy:

1 Like

So to check ppm, would I need something else to check that? I feel like my pH isn’t too bad cause I’ve only just changed my BTL #1 and still haven’t changed my #2

Not sure the question. Are you talking a soil grow or the box? If soil is it indoors or out? If it’s for the grobo, is just adjust the ph prior to a fill so the machine doesn’t have to fight it and fk up your plant. Remember grobo ph’s every hour.

Well you said to check the ppm for the water coming out of the unit and then my second part was I feel like my water is fairly good on the pH side of things just cause I have barely used my 1-2 bottles. Or I just have no idea what I’m talking about and that’s why you’re confused with what I said :rofl::rofl:

Ohh, ok typically we check the ph and ppm if the used grobo water after a drain to get an idea of ph fluctuations, as well as the ppm to adjust nutes. Since you aren’t doing things manually, I’d just take readings a few times a week in the res, just to ensure the machine is ph’ing properly and dispensing nutes in the correct amounts. Sorry with so many people asking about both soil and the box grows I sometimes get confused. And values for the two are def different. Hope that helps :+1::v:

1 Like

Well turns out she was just hard pressed for nutrients. My buddy who’s growing some monster plants gave me some food he was using, no idea what it is, I forget but she’s rebounding great. Getting back to a nice green :+1:
The nodes on this plant are suuuuper tight, can’t wait till actual bud mass starts!

5 Likes

Well it’s been a while! End of summer was pretty hectic for me but here she is! On a sad note she got pollinated, which is a huge piss off for me but whatever…life goes on. Unsure about weight yet, I’ll do final weight after the cure but I got 10 jars full and one jar jammed full of sugar leaf and small buds. I had about 100 seeds literally fall off the plant while I was trimming off the stalks for jars so there’s quite a bit. Might just end up using this to make concentrates but we’ll see. Smell is unreal thought and what bud there is, is covered in trichomes. Sooooo unbelievably sticky. Smells like skunky berries.

Hopefully next year whoever had the male learns to pull it so it doesn’t wreck other people’s harvests. My buddy who lives like a 5 min walk had his plants pollinated as well sadly. Likely from the same source, these were his beasts! Some were like 13ft tall lol. Fan leaves the size of a basketball or bigger lol
IMG_20190921_151607_01|375x500

8 Likes