California Dream (2nd grow ever) - Grobo vs Tent (harvested)

Running :running_man: it BACK with California Dream (feminized) for my 2nd grow ever

Grobo Start :checkered_flag: recommended as a seed started and grow time :stopwatch: saver

• Day 3 - Life Emerged :seedling: from two (2) ILGM seeds with plans for the strongest :muscle:t4: to be transferred to Grobo :groboone:

• Day 20 (early vegetation 10/14) - transferred to Grobo while smaller one remained in Start

• Day 27 (day 3/14 late vegetation) - transferred from Start to Bucket as grow was not progressing…purchased a HTG 3.5 gallon bucket, 6" basket bucket lid, pump, air stone, tubes, clay pebbles via Amazon for under $50. Manual feed of Grobo nutrients #3, #4, and #5 with distilled H20 and hydroguard directly into bucket. Did not pH water.

• Day 31 (day 7/14 late vegetation) - much needed upgraded lighting :flashlight: system added…purchased a Mars Hydro TS 600 W LED grow light :bulb:, small tent (16" x 16" x 48") :tent: via Amazon for under $150.

• Day 33 (day 9/14 late vegetation) - plant responded well to new nutrients and improved pH’d water as purchased pH up/down :test_tube:, botanicare cal-mal :syringe:, general hydroponic flora series :baby_bottle::baby_bottle::baby_bottle: via Amazon for under $100.

• Day 39 (day 15/28 late vegetation) - final purchase of a programmable timer, Vivosun 4" inline 190 cfm inline fan :wind_face: , 4" carbon filter, duct, clamps for under $90 to bring TOTAL unexpected tent cost :moneybag:at under $290 (not including nutrients)

• TODAY - Day 41 (late vegetation 17 / 28) - both grows appear to be doing OK with healthy white roots and new green growth

ANY advice is appreciated…especially with my TENT grow as I have been seriously “winging it” as I have no tent experience whatsoever and have only completed one grow in the grobo

11 Likes

Doesnt look like you need much advice, things look awesome! Great color on those leaves!
Maybe lower your scrog a bit and spread your leaves out under it so it can fill in.
I especially like your tent, ive never seen one that size! Be great for drying! :eyes::seedling:

8 Likes

much appreciated B! :slightly_smiling_face:

thanks for the advice as i’m still working on ways to get an even canopy :palm_tree:

wish the tent was a foot taller… :straight_ruler:

5 Likes

Gotta work that scrog! Even canopies are all in the scrog!
You could always cut the top off your tent and add pvc pipe for structure and wrap the top with card board and aluminum foil or tent material. DIY your tent to fit your needs! :eyes::seedling:

3 Likes

Hi :wave:

Brilliant post bro & seems your well in control :+1:

Although I’ve not reached Flowering…YET :crossed_fingers:!:wink:! I’m running a Ventilation Mod off @keefgreenleef (:dog2: :peanuts: btw :wink:)

You could enquire if he would sell you the Back Casing etc & using more Trunking & T Piece join the two using your current fan & filter :wink:

No more smell from your Grobo (Grobo Filter can only do so much) …Again apparently :roll_eyes:!:flushed:!:rofl:!

Was also advised to run with the grobo filter removed (too much back pressure apparently :thinking:!)

But apart from that you have a decent setup (Especially from Start :wink:)
Nice :fist_right:

So far So good :crossed_fingers::pray::wink:

5 Likes

I was being serious! It’s done very often to fit the needs of cramped or curved grow spaces! I guess you’d have to have the DIY abilities to think outside the box, pun intended! :eyes::seedling:

3 Likes

NEver said anything about cutting a tent in half!
And since there are many wayz to do things, what we can try or dream up is always at the discretion of the person experimenting!
True I said it light heartedly but its not the end of the world to try new things!
Lots of people on this forum have constructed grow rooms with pieces of tent or other materials!
Dont call me a fool because you lack the ability!
Not like the tent was even 2 x 4 so raising the roof can be done!
If you had a comment a fix even an idea or disagree I can understand but showing disdain for me is not the answer!
:eyes::seedling:

3 Likes

Dont be ashamed just stop being so negative! :eyes::seedling:

1 Like

Thanks Gmann!!! appreciate the positive feedback :v:t4:

i considered connecting the Grobo to the tent’s fan/filter with a 4" wye duct as the 190 cfm inline fan should be plenty to pull air out of these two “boxes

however I have not had any concerns with Grobo smell from my 1st grow…just as long as I keep the door closed (which is hard to do as I like to look in a lot) :laughing:

2 Likes

No worries dude :wink:
Great Minds n All That​:bulb:!:wink:!
Good to know regarding grobo filtration though & I Totally get ya :fist_right:!:flushed:!:rofl:!

Bulbs blown :rofl:!!

1 Like

thanks for the scrog feeback!

I always like "outside the box" :laughing: thinking…haha

my DIY skills can only go UPWARDS after my 1st attempted DIY money towel grow tent :money_mouth_face: lol

after investigating (while non medicated), a modified “drop top” tent would not be too hard to create IF really really really needed to salvage a grow that’s in late flowering :sunflower: stage…finding taller interior tent posts for the tent would not be difficult and reflective mylar is relatively inexpensive

if it came down to it with ALL alternate options exhausted, harvesting a couple of ounces ($500+) would make it worth wild to modify a tent ($50) … then buy another tent… :man_shrugging:t4: :slight_smile:

always appreciated your posts as your info has indirectly help me a lot during my 1st successful grobo grow :v:t4:

7 Likes

Good luck on your tent and grobo grow! Gonna be fun to watch :slight_smile:

3 Likes

thank you Aang! :slightly_smiling_face: :crossed_fingers:t4:

attempting to step up my growing game has been enjoyable :slight_smile:

3 Likes

I knew you had some DIY in you!!!
Love the money towel!!! :eyes::seedling:

3 Likes

For the smell i recommend using Ona… it completely remove the smell (and stopped my wife for complaining)

2 Likes

Day 56 (update): so far so good? :crossed_fingers:t4:

• Grobo :groboone: grow seems to be doing :ok:… patiently waiting for this INDICA dominate strain to reach more of the 2nd fan prior to shifting the light schedule to 12/12

• Tent :tent: grow appears to be healthy and strong. Switched light :sunglasses: schedule to 12/12 already in fear of future headroom issues in this small tent.

• space bucket’s :wastebasket: only maintenance consists of weekly 3 gallons distilled water :droplet: changes with hydroguard, calmag, flora nutrients and then pH’d to 6.0…so far the general hydroponics flora nutrients and overall tent maintenance have been pretty easy to manage :grinning:

• Any RECOMMENDATIONS for “flowering:sunflower: nutrients use in the tent bucket grow is appreciated?

• Any feedback is welcomed too :+1:t4:

3 Likes

Looks great growmie! Just don’t overthink it and you’ll be fine. Up the p/k according to your dosage and don’t try and overdo it because you’ll shock her. Keep up the great work!

3 Likes

thank you @OrionsCeiling!!! :slight_smile: …sticking to the recommended dosage of the general hydroponic nutrients for now as i’m not sure about how to up p/k (phosphorus and potassium)

1 Like

Yeah that’s the move keep it up!

2 Likes

Day 77: coming along well (i think) :slight_smile:

• the leaves :leafy_green: in the TENT :tent: appear a lot “greener” and healthier :hospital: compared to ones in the Grobo :groboone:…the tent’s stems :tanabata_tree: are much thicker too

• worried about TENT “head room:straight_ruler: …might need to Amazon a taller tent soon… i’m limited with space in my condo :slight_smile:

• white hairs :older_adult: are coming along in TENT …

• Grobo grow is coming along with hopes for more of a stretch :chart_with_upwards_trend: …cleaned and calibrated pH probe before start of grow and before the start of transition

• any AG FEEDBACK is welcomed :slight_smile:

5 Likes