Beauty and the Beast?

Will start a side by side grow next week when I’m back at home. Mary just arrived and thought I’d take a quick pick to show.

8 Likes

What is it?

Is that a home server? Or some new funky grow box? I’m leaning towards server :joy:. But if so does it throw off a lot of heat?

OMG, complete climate control and very sleek!

1 Like

I didn’t see any pricing for nutrients or accessories did Mary come with any? Never mind they answered me. $50 for nuts.

It looks more like a EMC VNX which is more of a storage solution than server (virtualization)

2 Likes

So why???

1 Like

Lol no clue Jerry. I think the designs are meant to appeal to younger folks and all of the devices are meant to appeal to entry level growers (set & forget). I classify them all as “not your fathers grow box”. Seems to be a wave of new automated Grow machines hitting the market or already out in the field. Appears to be a push to get these units in the hands of users as more of the US and world legalizes. I think Mary looks sharp (Darth Vader’s grow box?). Interested to see how well Mary works and yields from. Some of what the grobo lacks these other units are implementing such as stronger and more LEDs, environmental controls, water cooling tech, co2, end user control, apps, ect

Grobo
Supercloset
SuperLocker
Leaf (still haven’t seen one in the field)
Cloudponics
Seedo
GrowBoxUSA
and many more

Grobo is still probably the best all around automated Grow box and definitely has the most devices in the hands of users as I’ve yet to see many of the others listed in the hands of real users. The seedo users here are posting impressive pics with minimal end user intervention. Interested in seeing their yields/weights before making a decision on it. The Seedo marks a lot of the boxes missing from other devices at roughly the same price point (when factoring in water chillers and assorted extras). I’ll continue in my tent until one of these devices gets significantly better. Of the devices Ive seen, the advertised yields of the automated devices typically are wildly overestimated, but as tech improves and companies invest in improving their product things should improve across the board.

2 Likes

It’s a grow box… like the Grobo but a different approach. I’m interested to try a number of different units, compare them for the community and eventually decide on the winner, of which I’ll end up with 4 (my “legal” limit). :slight_smile:

4 Likes

Not sure yet. One of the feature benefits though is that it has an AC unit in it. So, we’ll see.

4 Likes

So ya. But it actually appears like you get more. They ship them in powder form and you mix your own. Not sure yet which is a better approach. I fully appreciate the direction that Grobo has gone, yet I think they need to adjust pricing. I come from a MRR world (monthly recurring revenue) on consumables (for me it was IT services / cloud) so I get why they want it and why the investors want it. Haha. Yet, I think as it stands the nutes are about 50% too expensive in the current form. If I had to guess manufacturing cost on them is less than $2.00 including packaging and labels. This is just based on experience and pricing out off the shelf nutes in powder form.

2 Likes

Do you have a Grobo? If so, then you already know the reason. haha

1 Like

Yup, your not wrong. Yet for some (like me) it’s a hobby. I’m not looking to make money and come from an IT background. So, I get to create something that is useful to me, in a cool solution that scratches the IT itch.

Can you do it cheaper? Yup. Can have higher yields? Yup. But it’s the other reasons (automation, cool factor, separation of strains per box, not ugly) that gets me and others to adopt the concept. I can appreciate both sides and requirements equally.

2 Likes

Same! This is a hobby for me and a way to cut cost of dispensaries. Why pay for what I can do myself at a fraction of the price thinking. I also work in an IT field and as you’re clearly aware the cost of building these machines is “significantly less” than purchase price (labor and parts). I can definitely appreciate your angle and relate. I’ll be following your grows :+1:

3 Likes

So it is a grow box?? What’s the name? I haven’t seen this one out. Or did you make it? Yep I’m a little slow these past few days…getting high on my own supply and what not :joy::joy::+1:

4 Likes

Ya man, it’s a grow box just like Grobo. It’s called the Mary - here is the link:

Mary AG

4 Likes

@RedCorrado,
I can totally relate to the (MRR) it is tricky to say the least. With that in mind I think the grobo tag on the nuts are explained in the breakdown of a total grow period which is 3-4 months.
To hear that Mary gets twice as much is exciting but, the down fall for me would be the labor of mixing the nuts each time but, I may be inclined if the environments are controlled like it suggest because that’s a lot harder to control than mixing nuts.
Simply cant argue with the ticket being less than half the price on the unit and consumption of nuts. Great find! I don’t know what it is about grobo that just makes me not want to bother with much else but with my (MRR) it sure would have been nice and with less accessories/gadgets to purchase to maintain.

@Bplatinum9 mixing nutes is really easy. From what we’ve discussed in the past, you’re best suited in a tent where you can grow many more plants at a fraction of the price of these automated units (based on your loved ones need). The yields will be significantly more than the estimated 2-3 ounces which seems to be slightly exaggerated from what I’ve seen from users here. They do require slightly more work, but not as much as you may think. Watering every once in a while if in soil. A couple of hundred dollars can get you going. My electricity bill has only risen 25$’s which is slightly more than what it was with the Grobo

A lot of the tools you’ve already invested in can slide right over to a tent such as you blulabs, hydrometer, water chiller if you have that, ect

Thanks, didn’t even know about this one. Good looking out :+1::v:

2 Likes

I wasn’t sure if I could handle a tent grow with my (seizures, A-Fib, fibromyalgia and degenerative bone disease) But the more I’m in this group the more I start to think about it. I’m sure my son would appreciate the yield but my main concern would be the location (basement) is mold prone, so I was thinking about a winter grow if I can figure out everything.
Keeping it small 2-4 plants could help carry him further than a grobo grow every 4 months but its kinda scary considering the grow I’m on now is my first ever and I already pay a third of our income in electricity ($300) a month in the winter and half that in the summer. I did get a great tip from @chris_barfield, I plan on implementing if I can pull off a tent grow.
Something quick - #13 by chris_barfield - Share Your Grow - AllGrowers Forum | Hydroponics, Harvesting, Cannabis, and more

1 Like