Automation

After reading that thread, I’m confused as to why? What does this “automated dehumidifier” have over the models that already have a native hygrometer control?

The automation is not needed at all, just a luxury. I like being able to control my smart devices when I’m away from home or when I’m in another room and I like having the option of creating a system where the devices can work together (although I haven’t explored that function yet).

If you’re asking about the instructable specifically, it’s moreso meant as a guide to constructing your own device if you’re unable to find a ready-made programmable one in the size that you’re looking for. Which is definitely doing the most for sure, but not enough to seem farfetched considering how far we all already go to create the perfect environment for our babies :sweat_smile:

Edit* I just realized that it isn’t using a wifi-enabled board :woman_facepalming: … my bad. Using a smart outlet would make it controllable from your phone tho.

2 Likes

That’s what I was thinking :joy:

1 Like

He did manage to put together a far less expensive system cost wise but if you factor in the time and effort in my opinion, it balances out. I’m sure he had fun with it too.

1 Like

“Doing the most” is my middle name :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:, need to figure out something because the small unit I’m using is only able to keep my RH around 45%. Would like to have it lower for flowering but I can’t add more heat with a large dehumidifier. Found some good looking mid-size ones with humidistat controls that I’m going to test out.

1 Like

Have you looked into silica gel? A few options show up with a search:

1 Like

Yes, I bought it and tried it. Not very effective.

Oh dang, sorry, that sucks.

I know you’re trying to create as ideal an environment as possible, but if you don’t find a solution 45% humidity shouldn’t do any harm. Btw, how hot does your Grobo get? I feel like since you’re using a water chiller your plant can probably take higher temps up to a point.

Grobo temp varies from 73-75 degrees. She cozy.

Oh! Then you’ll have no problem with adding a humidifier, I think regardless of size. My full size humidifier has warm air exhausting, but it isn’t hot at all.

Copy that, perhaps the one I have here at the house has seen better days, the air it exhausts is about 15 degrees warmer than the ambient room temperature. That said it’s probably about 5 years old and saw heavy usage in our last home.

Oh wow, yeah time for an upgrade!

1 Like

Adding @420farms project to this thread :cowboy_hat_face:

2 Likes

I have been working on this and have been doing it now… I have a thread on here and linked a couple of advanced setup… I automate homes so this has been a fun project so far…

1 Like