Automation

I’m currently reading a book called Automating Hydroponics: The Complete Guide to Food Security at home. I know absolutely nothing about electrical engineering or programming, but the Grobo & some of the other Smart devices in my home have gotten me interested in Automation & the Internet of Things (IoT). In fact I have an Arduino Starter Kit on the way and have been spending hours on Instructables, Thingiverse, Hackster, etc. reading up on all the interesting projects that people have created and shared within the Maker community.

Will I successfully create something worth sharing on here? - I have no idea :sweat_smile:

But if I do learn anything worthwhile and relevant to this community I will share it here and am encouraging all the tinkerers, makers, diy-ers, and otherwise forever-curious folk to feel free to do the same :cowboy_hat_face::nerd_face:

10 Likes

Interest piqued :thinking:

1 Like

Not sure if you’re already proficient in any of the related disciplines, but I’ve downloaded a lot of books for free via b-ok.cc (not the one mentioned above tho)

1 Like

Definitely not in the classic sense haha, when a need arises I typically research the shit out of it and apply what I’ve learned.

3 Likes

I’m a mechanical engineer whos been in many industries and I’m finishing up my masters at UofM. Used to be a decent programmer. Familiar with C++, Raspbien, Arduino, and a few different forms of basic. I have both Raspberry Pi and Arduino. I’m rusty on all the programming stuff, but I can help a bit with programming, but in general I’m pretty good at problem solving. Happy to help if I can.

4 Likes

Nice! I don’t know what questions to ask yet, but when they come up I’ll post them. Thank you :pray:t3:

I’ve got all my devices controlled by SmartThings, with WebCoRE programming, triggering different things between time of day, temp, humidity levels, etc. Would love to get nerdy with you, if I had more time… !! Doh!

3 Likes

For now I just have my wifi-enabled power strip controlled via Smart Life, but haven’t gotten into scheduling and creating “scenes”. My new dehumidifier is wifi-enabled as well.

I’m going to google “webcore programming” :nerd_face:. I really want to have everything as hands off as possible, with as elegant a system as possible.

2 Likes

Has any devised away to be notified if/when Grobo disconnects from WiFi? I haven’t had issues as of yet but after reading a couple horror stories I’d love to have the peace of mind of knowing I have the ability to intervene.

1 Like

I’ve automated most of the house - Samsung smart things has been useful. You need a wemo to monitor your power usage

2 Likes

This is a good idea - hopefully the Grobo team sees this and adds it to their list of future upgrades. (Although I have no idea if that’s something that’s possible while the app is web-based rather than a standalone, downloadable app).

Finally got to try out my smart wifi-enabled dehumidifier last week and so far it’s been great. I do laundry at home and when I run the dryer the humidity in my apartment goes up which can affect the plants, especially now that it’s summer and the humidity here is already 55%+.

If anyone is interested, this is the listing on amazon. I run it through my Smart Life app where I also have my grobo and other devices set up:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B0816SXSG8?psc=1&ref=ppx_pop_mob_b_asin_title&th=1

1 Like

I figured out how to do it :sunglasses:

1 Like

I like the idea of a smart dehumidifier. Does that particular model give off any heat? Wondering if there are smaller units with similar abilities say for a small closet as opposed to an entire room.

Oh? :eyes:

It does, but I don’t know if it affects the ambient temperature. Once I get the Grobo going again I’ll check to see, but the dehumidifier will be on the other side of the room so I doubt it’ll make much of a difference. If you have it nearby it probably would though.

The model I’m using is kind of the only one I came across with wifi that seemed reliable just in general, but it’s possible that I overlooked smaller units. If I find anything I’ll post it.

1 Like

I’ll have a look as well. Glad to have you back!

1 Like

Wasn’t planning on publishing as it is not exactly an inexpensive fix, but it is simple and effective! I’ll post just in case anyone may care to utilize it. Can also help with WiFi throughout the home. Some may already have it and just not be aware that it offers the option of receiving notifications when something leaves the network when coupled with an app like IFTTT.

1 Like

Thank you! If you’re up for trying your hand at a new skill or know someone willing to help, I found this on Instructables

3 Likes

I don’t think anyone would mind the post, even if it’s aspirational lol

2 Likes