That WOULD’VE been easier and better, and I thought about it already. It’s the plan for the next grow. My only issue is starting seeds in straight hydroton is tough. The issue is really that the roots seems to just be curling around the bottom of the net pot instead of going through the bottom towards the water. I almost need some sort of incubation system to start them in hydroton. I have a couple ideas but don’t know if they will work. I’m just hoping the lower water level forces them to reach down.
Is Zerotol hc safe for living plants?
I believe so yes. What are you planning on using it for? @chris_barfield can you confirm?
Zerotol is made for plants
Everything you need to know about ZeroTol HC and then some.
Day 19 (9/14 early veg)
She’s looking good but seems like a slow grower. Just waiting for a little more growth progress! Ran into a little issue but peroxide seemed to clear it up…for now. Hence the whole reason for my Zerotol question. Since it’s an auto, do I extend transition or early veg as there is no late veg? Only asking to be prepared.
Had to do some surgery today. Roots NEVER came down through the net pot. Pulled the plant from the hydroton with a good root system, just all wound up. Dropped to a new pot but fed the roots though the center of the pot…hopefully it didn’t shock her too much! Luckily water change is tomorrow.
Good stuff! Hopefully you saved her If you got the roots fed down through I think you should hopefully be good from there I would think, right?
Only thing is if the plant is too young for some kind of disruption or stress but I will be sending vibes your way that your girl survives this time! Good luck!
What was the issue that hydroden peroxide was needed?
I had some slime on the bottom of the net pot. Still waiting on my Zerotol hc so I can deal with the issue, the peroxide didn’t really cut it. I got it somewhat taken care of but there’s still some remnants. She’s still ok…for now. Checked her this morning and she doesn’t look like she got stressed at all from the uprooting.
Great! Glad she’s doin A-OK!
I wonder why there was slime? Was it not draining properly?
That was one of the things I was worrying about happening. Maybe next time mix some coco coir in with the hydroton to add a little water retention?
I believe that’s the case. The next one I do, I’ll be modifying the net pot. I guess I got some cheapies that were poorly manufactured and were holding water at the bottom.
I’ll keep that in mind for the next one! You live and learn when it comes to experimenting.
Hey, no harm no foul… all battle scars that make you more experienced for the next fight… Sounds like you got a work-around anyway, good call on the surgery then. Definitely seems like drainage might have been an issue… and once the roots come through the bottom there won’t be a need for any top watering!
Yeah, I haven’t been top watering for a week or so, and maybe only once a day. The roots were getting water being bunched up at the bottom so I stopped top feeding. I was keeping the water level at high by unplugging the mid sensor from the board and plugging the high sensor into its spot.
Day 23 (13/14 early veg)
Well, between having to re-pot and trimming some dying leaves at the bottom, here she is. I’ve already extended early veg a week, but will probably have to go more…she got stressed.
Dealing with a new issue. Now it’s bottle 5 not dispensing. Submitted a ticket already. Water change Saturday and it looked like bottle 5 MAY have dispensed a tiny bit. Did a drain/fill today for other issues, and bottle 5 didn’t budge . I’m starting to feel the woes of people feeling duped. This is definitely not a “set and forget” system! Already starting a tent grow as it seems more controllable and cheaper. At first I thought user error or bad genetics, but now it seems luck of the draw on a fully functioning, reliable unit. Bye bye $2k, could’ve saved you for a vacation.
If you have some Cal-Mag you can add some until support is able to look into it. Double check to make sure there isn’t any air in the lines.