When can you actually count flower weeks?

I was wondering when you buy packs of seeds it says 50-60 days or whatever to flower. My question is do you count the first week of flowering during the stretch or when the stretch is over?

1 Like

Flowering to me is the moment the cycle changes to 12/12 while it’s still a transition period you’ve technically started the flowering stage. I’m sure @stephen can add his own wisdom to it too. :+1:

2 Likes

@Azuri I thought the same but was just wondering

1 Like

Yup, flowering time starts with the flip of the lights! Here is something I wrote earlier about flowering time…

Great question. The flowering time does not equal the growing time. In each recipe, the seed needs to germinate, go through the teenage years (seedling stage) and grow bigger through the vegetative stage, where the roots expand, plant training takes place and the plant branches grow stronger. Then we flip the lights to 12/12 to begin the flowering stage. Remember that strain ‘flower times’ are guidelines and require the grower to make the final determination of ripeness.

Growers can extend the vegetative grow time as long as they wish, producing huge 10 foot trees if they have enough time. The strains are marketed by their flowering time, which starts when the lights are flipped and ends at harvest time. These times are consistent across strains, and thus are the numbers you see on all of the breeder marketing material.

TLDR; Flowering time is 8-9 weeks, total grow time just under 4 months.

Hope that helps,
Stephen

9 Likes

You should start counting your flowering days from the day you* see the first pistils emerge on your plants. Again, this can vary from plant to plant, so you should check on them daily once you initiate the change in light cycle.

1 Like

there are at least two ways to count flower weeks. first and most common would be by the first night duration of 12h or more. notice the amount of hours your plant stay in darkness is the initiating trigger for the blooming stage.
Others start counting as soon as the Stretching stops and the buds start growing, that would be after 10 - 14 days.

Nevertheless to be exactly on point , you might as well just check it for yourself by utilizing a microscope and look the ratio at the trichomes. a 50 % blurry/milky 50 % orangeish ratio is what is usually the best. you can try to see which ratio of thc and cbd you like the best