What’s the difference between the original grobo a and the new models?

Just got my new grobo and I am reading a lot of posts and looking at pictures and I notice that all the grobo’s that I am seeing have two fan holes in the back. My new grobo does not so have These holes. I’m just wondering what other differences there are and if any one else has the new version, I’m assuming that’s what it is?

2 Likes

Wondering about the fan holes in the back because I see a lot of people using them as a reference point to determine when to change phases in the grow

2 Likes

Yeah, not sure if grobo did anything for the new units as far as a reference point. Rule of thumb, expect your plant to get 2-2.5x bigger once entering transition.

3 Likes

Can any body tell me how many feet or inches it is from the plant base to second fan on the original models?

3 Likes

Bottom of fan - 1’
Top of fan - 1’3”

4 Likes

Thank you!

1 Like

The new units you can see the fan. the draining system is in the out side now so no need to open grobo to drain and fill. And it comes with the new lids

2 Likes

The new units are also using peat pods with a wick instead of coco pods. And it doesn’t seem that there is a way to raise or lower the peat pods like some are doing with the coco pods for different reasons. I order a pro gro kit I’m waiting to get here and now I see that they come with the coco pods. I don’t think I will be able to use it with the second generation grobo :thinking:

1 Like

You can cut the older coco pods and make them fit if you need to. I have a Grobo 1 and 2 and a bunch of coco pods left still and they said you can use them.

I would suggest to keep the hoses in a bucket “for now” and start your grow and see how it goes. You might not ever need it, just in case.

Also keep an eye on the fan and make sure it is securely mounted,

3 Likes

Ok thanks @TheDogMan. I believe I read about that in one of the forums I think it was you. Your unit emptied on to the floor.:flushed: my hoses are in a bucket now. And that is good to know about the coco pods!

2 Likes

And as for the fan I woke up to a weird vibration noise and my fan had fell and was vibrating. The little foam pads that held the magnet on came off. They might want to consider some type of design change or add a couple more magnets with the kit for the fan.

1 Like

I am also wondering about how to get a second internal fan from grobo, I noticed during assembly that there is a spot next to where you plug the fan in on the lower circuit board labeled fan #2. Leading me to Believe that this is something they would offer at some point? @Todd.grobo @Stephen

2 Likes

I gorilla glued my magnets to fan! I tried 3 different adhesive tapes and all failed! fan stayed up for a couple hrs then boom back on bottom! The gorilla glue worked and my fan is good now. I don’t care for the vibration from fan being on in the grobo makes it a little noisy. Nothing that’s going to drive u insane.

Thank you mine is Drying now

3 Likes

So should I not have my fan on during the germination stage? Fan control seems like something that would be programmed into the grobo, depending upon your stage in the growth. I see there is a on off switch as well

1 Like

From what I’ve read u don’t want fan on til way later. U don’t need it on for germination. I would also germinate ur seed outside of grobo before u start. Seen lots of ppl waste time waiting on seed to pop in grobo but nothing ever sprouted not saying it won’t but it’s better piece of mind knowing ur tap root is out before u drop it in pod.

2 Likes

I have my fan up secured with one of the magnetic straps you can buy.

1 Like

Here are some of the highlights:

Easier to maintain
More light proof
Improved smell filtering
Removable water tank for cleaning
Ships flat-packed to help your Grobo arrive safely
1 Like

So with the peat pod does this cotton wick stay in for the whole duration of the grow?

Only until the tap root hits the water, then pull the wick.

2 Likes