What happened here?

This is my first grow. Because of a family emergency the poor plant got pretty neglected the last couple weeks. I don’t know how
or why there are so many white flowers. And is the yellow powder everywhere powdery mold or pollen?

3 Likes

@Sosleepy,

• (#Welcome): :wave:t4: :wink:

• (SoSorryThisHappened): (BudRot): (HeartEquals): = :cry:

• ((YourPlantCan[Hermie]):

Stress:

In biological terms, hermaphroditism is actually a smart move. Basically it means that the plant ceases to be dependent on external pollinators and can pollinate itself. Of course, the trade-off for this is that the plant does not get the benefit of fresh genetics. So marijuana plants only hermie when they feel under threat to the point where they don’t think they can hold out for external pollination. Basically the fear of dying.):

--

6 Likes

Hey @Sosleepy,

Sorry to hear you lost that grow, looks like you have a male plant there unfortunately. Time for a deep clean and restart. Don’t forget to calibrate your pH probe before starting again, especially if it dried out completely. You may need to replace it, they last about a year when kept in good condition.

Cheers,
Stephen

6 Likes

:cry:

1 Like

Thanks for the sympathy everyone. This plant was photographed in an already dried state. I snipped it off the coco pod once it became apparent nothing was right. I can’t find any pictures online with this much yellow powder (which made me sneeze like pollen) and white blossoms that looked more like a lilac. The leaves on the plant were starting to look a little rusty when I killed the grow.

5 Likes

Ouch!

1 Like

So does everyone’s sympathy mean this plant is useless? Is it presumed the powder is mold and all the white flowers mean it’s a male or pollinated plant?
Thanks for all the help! Pretty fantastic community!

2 Likes

Yea its useless. Its a male which means if full of pollen so its important to clean it extremely good. They don’t create any buds, they only ruin good bud

2 Likes

So now I’m finally ready to start a new grow and it occurred to me that I don’t know how to dispose of this plant. Can I legally just chuck it in the bin? I was able to find all the Colorado laws on legal growing, but not disposal.

1 Like

Hey @Sosleepy, I imagine most people would chuck it without consideration for the legalities, but did you get your answer? I think you ought to be able to call whatever cannabis related dept of the state and find out - I’m curious myself. :thinking:

1 Like

I did actually find the answer! From the colorado .gov website ”For disposal of marijuana plant material and marijuana-infused products, please follow the guidance above to render it unusable and unrecognizable and then dispose of it in your household trash or at your nearest landfill."

3 Likes

Thanks for sharing what you found!

1 Like