Weird Seedling Advice

Hi everyone… you all have been so helpful in the past I was hoping I could bother you all once again for some advice. This seedling is about 15 days old and is growing very weird. It is in my Grobo Start and has that weird little hook in the stalk. Will she straighten herself out of should I try to support her with a toothpick or something? I’ve never had this happen before. Any suggestions would be super appreciated. Even if it’s just leave her alone :slight_smile:

3 Likes

Looks like you could have some damping off, which means the stem is being cut off from receiving nutrients and water which can result in the plant not growing correctly and leaning to one side. Google “damping off” and do a little research on the topic.

1 Like

Just read about it. It sounds real bad . I hope she don’t die

1 Like

I didn’t mean to scare you about it, I would maybe try to put some 3% hydrogen peroxide on the peat pod surface to kill any of the bacteria that causes it, my plant has some minor damping off as well in my solid unit but I moved the cocoa pod up and it is drying out and applied peroxide to the surface, if the peat pod is not wet at the top I would make sure your nutrients are fine, but it looks like a sign of damping off I don’t want to tell you it’s to late to save her, but if she is the same or worse in 2 days if I were standing in your shoes I would pop a new bean and restart because she will be severely stunted growing in the following weeks! I could be way off as well but just what seems most likely to me as to what’s causing the problem!
Good luck to you

I’m very new to all this as well, so take my words lightly like I said I don’t know 100% but I’m 90% sure

Looks like the peat pod could be poked more so the roots can get out the bottom. Becomes so hard it pushes itself out. My suggestion bud!

3 Likes

- - - [2021-09.30]:

@Heretic04,

• (It Looks_ :eyes: Like It Was Wet_ :droplet: , -And- The Dome_ :house: Might Have Been On It Too Long_ :watch:): (When The Pod Stays Wet_ :droplet: Too Long, It Likes To Crawl Out From The Top_ :arrow_up: , Because it Doesn’t Know To Go Down To Search_ :mag: For The Liquid Food):

alice-in-wonderland_large..GIF--

Too.Tall.Seedling..~~

--

~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~

2 Likes

Thanks everyone!! You all are always so great. It’s hard to see but the roots are starting to come out the bottom/sides of the peat pod. I took the dome off and will give her another couple of days to see if she stands up. The pod itself IS rather wet all around. The top is wet, the sides are wet etc. Here are some pics of the roots coming out. There is one long one coming out the bottom that is making it to the water.

3 Likes

Give her time, she’ll straighten up!

2 Likes