Water Chiller Insanity

So…where to begin with this. I’ll try to short and concise:

1. The Grobo water chiller is waaaaay to big for such a small confined space! Look at the attached photo - once the plant starts to mature, the water chiller will absolutely 100% get in the way of the plant’s growth.

2. A water chiller is a heat exchanger. The Grobo chiller is no different. When the Grobo chiller activates, it’s essentially taking the heat from the water in the reservoir and transferring to the air inside the Grobo itself. The temperature inside the Grobo skyrockets - I’ve recorded 102 degrees! How in the world could this issue have been overlooked?!

3. The Grobo water chiller works extremely well, by the way. It definitely keeps the water reservoir temp cool. But the trade off isn’t worth it, as currently designed.

So, in closing, I’d like some answers as to how the above issues can be resolved. My only idea so far is to put a hole in the outside of the Grobo proper and insert the Grobo chiller diagonally through into the reservoir, keeping the actual exchanger head outside the Grobo. Then seal the holes as best I can.

4 Likes

I use Hydroguard weekly and never once even checked my water temps and never will. Tablespoon a week saves a lot of fussing. :grinning:

4 Likes

I agree. In hindsight, I would of gone this route. But it’s kinda late now that I bought this very expensive piece of grow equipment :confused:

1 Like

Seems on par with the oversized CO2 bottle they sell.

3 Likes

LOL

2 Likes

Please feel free to open a ticket and we can look into this a bit further. support@grobo.io

2 Likes

I have not opened mine yet but with these issues that cannot be resolved (the size) mine is going back. I can buy a shipload of hydroguard for $284 USD

1 Like

@Todd.grobo -

Really? I have to open a ticket for a design/engineering flaw as obvious as this? Are you kidding me?

3 Likes

The forums are not the place for us to discuss a resolution to your concerns.

You are welcome to provide feedback about the products in the community but if you want to discuss a resolution for your feedback specifically, let’s open a ticket and start the communication.

4 Likes

Very well, I opened a ticket. I’m very interested to see how this turns out. lol

2 Likes

Same here :+1:t2::sunglasses: only hydroguard

2 Likes

Should have just bought a $30 jug of hydro guard in my opinion, only takes a few teaspoons (or in country terms a couple nut hairs worth :joy:) every drain and fill and will not over dose the plant! being it is just to protect the roots and no nutrients in it! Still have to watch for damping off during early plant growth around the central stem!

Edit: I did not realize @TheDogMan replied this already and was discussed!

Hey @BigJake,

Checking in on our support tickets this morning and I’m not seeing one from you. Can you email the team at support@grobo.io with your concerns and we can assist.

Cheers,
Stephen

1 Like

Hate to tell you this, but you didn’t look hard enough. Opened a ticket, and it was already addressed…not satisfactorily, in my opinion, but addressed.

Hey @BigJake,

I see it now, you are using a different email than the one on AG it seems. One of the big reasons we don’t do support here, we don’t know who everyone is!

I’m seeing a firmware update available to you, can you upgrade then let me know? I’d like to observe the temps in the unit overnight.

Cheers,
Stephen

1 Like

Yep. Not quite sure how I failed with the email thing, but I am using two emails now. I’ve made some modifications using fans to help control temps, which seem to be working. I will update the Grobo firmware later today.

1 Like

Hey @BigJake,

Awesome, once you are updated, I’ll keep an eye on your temps and we can touch base tomorrow to see how you are doing. Do you have a grow journal going with plant pics?

Cheers,
Stephen

1 Like