Water Chiller & Ambient Temp

I’ve recently add a Grobo water chiller into my setup. I’ve noticed some steep increases in box temp at times. Sometimes hitting 94F from a rise of 72F. Ambient room temp 68-74. The last day it hit 94 it was 58F with open windows in the room. Granted the water is “chilled”… Im looking for advice on how to level these swings. With the chiller off we’re 72-74F.

3 Likes

What is your set point on the chiller?

1 Like

Right now it’s set for 19c. I’ve tried 18-20c so far.

1 Like

The problem with the new chiller is the heat is exhausted into the grow space. Not sure there’s a way around this. Maybe submit a ticket to support and they may have a resolution.

1 Like

I agree, I was waiting for someone else to say it. I sent in a ticket. I’m hoping to figure out a venting solution. It works great otherwise.

2 Likes

I’m thinking maybe set it for 20 to 21 it will not work as hard then my hope is box temp will not get as hot. I don’t have one to test but just a idea

1 Like

I was wondering that. It seems like it definitely works harder after a water change which makes sense. I purposefully wanted to try it in the winter so I can play with it a bit. I’ll see if running at a higher temp drops ambient. Summer is when I think I’ll need it based on the root rot last time. I can’t run hydroguard. Z7 saved the last one. Trying to avoid that all together next summer. I’ve placed a fan with a cross breeze behind the unit. It seems to be drawing in a littler cooler air with the built in fans.

1 Like

So I run my tent with VERY large air stones. I’ve reached water temps of 74F. There’s some science out there that root rot is avoidable without hydro guard if your water is well oxygenated. If water temps are an issue, maybe get a bigger air stone for grobo and you won’t need the chiller or hydro guard.

2 Likes

I added 2 small stones and an external pump at the same time this went in. It’s good to know those might prove more useful than I thought. It’s running along with the grobo pump on a low setting currently.

1 Like

I spent the afternoon reading. You were not kidding about the oxygenation. “ for every 18 degree F rise in temperature, the root respiration rate doubles.”

2 Likes

Running 20c today with an ambient of 72 to test. I’ll update with results.

1 Like

Looking much better @19c. Dare I say level.

2 Likes

Does the new Water Chiller come with a new lid or is that a separate purchase?

It was separate. I wanted to switch to peat anyway so it worked out.

1 Like

So far so good. We got to 73F with ambient @68F running it @19c all day. Acceptable for winter.

The question becomes what to do about next summer. The way I figure it, If I want to use it in the summer, which is it’s intended purpose, I’m going to either have to vent it or add a separate A/C unit into the room unless I’m missing something.

1 Like

It ran all day in the acceptance range until… I did a water change. I set the unit to 20c~ Ambient was 72F. Box started @ 72F at water change. I’m currently @ 83F in the unit.

1 Like

It hit 84F as a high and then proceed to return to 72F and level.

1 Like