Ultraviolet light or chiller

Anyone ever use ultraviolet light for pythium instead of a water chiller?? Inline ultraviolet light $70, chiller $500. Would be much more cost effective both to purchase and run.

3 Likes

My store water is ultraviolet treated

2 Likes

Do you think if I put one in line right after the pump before it dumped into the res that it would stop pythium instead of a water chiller?

1 Like

I couldn’t tell ya. I use the water i use as our tap water is heavy with calcium and flouride. This stuff comes pretty ph balanced as #1 and #2 bottle usually lasts 2 grows

1 Like

Hey @zacuriah,

I put together a low evasive and inexpensive water chiller system that has been working perfectly for 6 months now. I spent about $200 total including tubing, temp sensor and misc parts. The big expensive water chillers are made for a reservoir much larger than the 2.5 gallons the Grobo has, way overkill in my opinion. Not sure how handy you are with DIY things but thermoelectric chillers have come a long way and there are a lot of options out there. Most negative reviews on Amazon ore due to user error as most instructions come in Chinese so you have to have some mechanical know how but not much. I have a post here on what I did.Easy Water Chiller Setup

3 Likes

This one would be for my 20 gallon RDWC it the grobo. If I understand correctly they aren’t big enough for a system that size???
That is a great idea for the grobo!!

1 Like

Oh sorry no, is good up to about 5 gallons. :sweat_smile:

1 Like

@zacuriah,

…

Ultraviolet light or chiller

• (#GoodIdeas): (If You Try It Please Share Your Results Here In This Topic):

--

~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~

2 Likes

If I had to pick I would definitely go with a water chiller over UV the biggest reason is UV is also going to kill beneficial bacteria’s. And alternative solution if you don’t care about beneficial bacteria is just add a couple teaspoons of H202 into your water this will kill all bacteria’s and pythium’s in your water. I don’t recommend this approach but it’s cheaper than a UV light for the with the same results

3 Likes