Turning on the Grobo again 😁-CranecityCannabis

Great feedback I am sorry to hear you had so many issues. But yes I understand we spend all this money just to keep spending more. I do know it cost to grow medicine I just didn’t think grobo nutes and to keep grobo running correctly would be that pricey. :+1:

1 Like

Really enjoyed reading this @Jamminbear and :fire: seed selection. Happy you’re back in the Grobo, very much look forward to watching you grow with your own nutrient selection and pH control. I will most likely do the same after a couple grows as I intend on graduating to a tent once I get a few Grobo grows under my belt and would like the experience prior to making the switch.

Questions:

Did you really get Crane City to answer the questions you mentioned above by contacting them directly? Or were you able to find the answers through online research?

Aside from base nutrients will you be applying any additives or beneficials? I.e. Mammoth P, Hydroguard, PowerSi, etc…

As far as training, what practices will you be utilizing in the Grobo?

6 Likes

@SWSVIC awe thanks for the kind words bud! I start by scouring their Ig first in the comment section if they haven’t provided the information on the package. For instance at the moment , Dynasty genetic’s website provides the most detailed description for growing their seeds! He describes tastes, variations, and phenotypes to expect, and the recommended flowering time. He breed fire and tells u exactly what to look for. For Crane city cannabis I just peppered them with questions on their Ig. Not only did they explain, they went above and beyond answering questions so I had to get their gear . If a breeder responds with “:fire:” , I assume he or she is just a pollen chucker and just pass! FYI the rabbit hole of the seed game is deep and expensive lol.

You beat me to what additives I was going to use. A bunch of people on here are using Recharge , which makes me really scratch my head. It’s great for soil but for hydro with the molasses they use in Recharge, it will gunk up in the Grobo hydro system. U end up getting brown roots :worried:

In past two years, I narrowed down my additives that would do good in soil or hydro.
I used Power Si/Bloom like u mentioned. Great product as the silica strengthens the cell walls and helps with deterring powdery mildew… if that’s too expensive for some people- I recommend Potassium Silcate sold at Buildasoil and making your stock solution of silica. I like power si/bloom as it doesn’t effect PH that much. (I forgot to mention - no where on Grobo Website that states the guarantee analysis of their nutrient line - which also upsets me” I have been wondering if Silica is part of their nutrient mix. Not many nutrient companies add silica but it would be nice to know.

Bacterial / Enzymes : I used Tribus for their high concentrations of bacillus strains - great product if u have never used it before. The roots look amazing every time I transplant! It also helps with nutrient uptake and miners solubility. I also add a little bit of SLF 100 and Hydroguard to keep the Rez clean between water changes which is a must. Not sure what options are in Canada if u are up there.

Training - definitely topping and super cropping. I think main- lining with 6 heavy tops would be ideal for Grobo since space is such an issue. My first Grobo when I first started learning about growing , my plants were inches from the lights. :joy:.

6 Likes

Btw disclaimer: Hopefulky I don’t come off like someone who is a “master grower” lol. I have made more mistake and grew So many more “mids” than I can remember. We just gotta keep on learning and passing on the info as best as we can.
Happy Sunday everyone.

Day 7 - Environment
Ph 6.2
EC-1.1
Rez temp- 76 F ( too high)
Plant Environment-
82 F
42 % humidity

9 Likes

You aren’t kidding about the genetics rabbit hole… I’m on my first grow and already have thousands invested in genetics… bought a mini-fridge to house them :joy:. I’m a sucker for “drop” type item releases :man_shrugging:t2:.

6 Likes

Day 10- I fast forwarded it to early Veg on day 5. Seedlings looks pretty good.
Environment
-Temp 80

• RH 45
    Rez
    -Water Temp-74
    -PH 6.0
    -EC 1.1
    -Tap water initial EC:0.4
    Nutrients :
    Jacks “Clone” 15-5-17” 3g/gallon
    PowerSi .5ml/G
    Tribus 1ml/g
    Ph down-5ml
    SLF 100-2.5ml/g
    HydroGuard-2.5ml
8 Likes

Yes I does!

@Jamminbear,

• ((#WelcomeBack)): :wave::wink:

• ((#ItIsAlive)): :innocent: (Congratulations): (:handshake:)

• ((#IWillWatchYouGrow)): :herb::seedling: (:eyes:)

--

:wink::smiling_face_with_three_hearts::sparkling_heart::baby:

- - -

• (holiday wreath wire, wrapped in a bigger hose, tided with soft green wire, with a hose connector and magnets):

--

5 Likes

Day 13
Changed water and cleaned the Rez. I’m discontinuing the Tribus for now. Didn’t like how the Rez smelled.
Stats
EC-1.4 Jacks nutrients 3-2-1
PH 5.9
Rez Temp- 71
Supplements
-PowerSi 5ml
-SLF 100
-Hydroguard
-UC Roots

She looking healthy overall- let’s see if this stressed her or not.

7 Likes

I’m curious about that lineup - how much of each are you using and is the UC roots on a 21-day schedule or something?

1 Like

Excited to see this go down! Also, I’ve heard SLF is not ideal for DWC, obviously you know different. What dosage are you using with the SLF and UC?

1 Like

Slf 100 2.5ml/g
Uc Roots - 2.5ml/g
Hydroguard - 2.5ml/g
Power Si - Silica supplement - strong branching , fight off pest, helps with uptake a micros

@vegetato 21 day schedule ? Not sure what u are referring too.
@SWSVIC SLf100 is pretty much just enzymes. Helps break down organic matter and great for hydro. Been using it for over a year and it’s one of my go to products

2 Likes

UC Roots sterilizes so I’d expect that any organics in the water are probably being killed off by it to some extent, including the hydroguard. At that level it might just be cancelling out the hydroguard with a worst-case that the dead hydroguard becomes food for bad bacteria to consume and grow with.

From what I understand it’s used instead of organic treatments like hydroguard or in stronger concentration (4x the weekly dose) to clean the reservoir every so often, such as every 3-4 weeks sterilize everything in order to introduce new beneficials (which would otherwise die if exposed to harmful bacteria too early). I’ve also read elsewhere that it takes a few weeks for (the bacteria in) hydroguard to establish a mature colony in the root zone, so it’s helpful to defer the first water change for a few weeks to allow for that. If that understanding is correct, then it’d seem counter-productive to use it along with hydroguard.

Unless the water is cooler I would think that the (remaining) UC roots (that didn’t get used up on the hydroguard) will likely gas off and be gone within a few days as it’s basically just watered down chlorine; they recommend to add it again mid week if temps are over 70F.

I experimented with liquid and powder chlorine at first but now only use it for cleaning out the res; 1/2 cup of bleach in water instead of 50/50 vinegar. If the chlorine level (HOCl actually) wasn’t maintained at a constant minimum level then the bad bacteria would take over as soon as it was gone, eventually leading to foul smell when there’s an accumulation of more bad stuff than (that level of) the chlorine can handle.

3 Likes

The other thing to mention about mixing some of those things together, is this:

If you’re not using grobo pH up/down the same warning could be on those bottles as well. That’s just something to be mindful of and pay attention to – if you notice (see/smell) any reaction you could have some things cancelling each other out or in a worst-case doing some harm.

6 Likes

I’m going to learn quite a bit from this conversation :popcorn:

6 Likes

@vegetato Yeah your right UC roots is mostly for sterilization. I was not using UC roots the first 2 weeks but went with the Hydroguard and slf 100 to grow the beneficials but at last that didn’t work. Temp in the Rez was 73 to 77… super hot in Cali this week. I normally like to use a bit of Hydroguard with UC roots because the Bacillus amyloliquefaciens is hardy and can survive in extreme conditions per Rep and from my own research. I was hoping after killing most of the bad guys, Hydroguard can help colonize the rhizosphere right away… I’m changing my Rez twice a week right now due to temp and to feed the girls growing outside. :grimacing:

4 Likes

@vegetato I’m also not using any of the Grobo nutrients. 60 dollars plus 15 shipping is way too much for nutrients. jacks 3-2-1 mix is pennies!! The only thing I like about the Grobo is the drain and fill.lol. I just emailed support regarding the lights… the night cycle is from 5pm to 9pm and it is currently still on :confounded:

1 Like

This is my outdoors mini pheno hunt- :grimacing:. The last picture are seeds I made from Dynasty genetics “Ocelot” crossed to a Sour D Bx2 male from Karmagenetics. Have to be self sufficient from now on

7 Likes

Seems to be good and healthy, growing rather quickly. Doesn’t even look like anything was wrong you caught it quick.

Re-saving the light schedule in app sometimes fixes that if it’s not coming on or turning off at the right time. I’ve had that happen a handful of times before. Can also check settings->timezone but would guess that’s probably not the issue.

2 Likes