Thought I had at 3:30am (FloraFlex mod idea)

Over the past couple days I have been brainstorming ways to put my Niwa One to better use, optimized for cannabis if you will.

The inside of the Niwa is roughly 13" x 8", and the current slab of rockwool is around 3" thick. The nute pump is connected to the Niwa which does the dosing, something that I would rather have control over. I’m thinking about getting a better pump and using my Amazon smart plug to program the schedule.

I was looking for a circle drip feeder to use with the new pump, the current one is 6 unreliable nozzles on the hose coming from the current pump. When I was doing some research I was in skimming through @Bplatinum9 FloraFlex thread and I had a lightbulb moment ! :rotating_light:

Why not use a square 6" matrix with a round matrix circulator. All I would need to do is swap out the pump, run the new FloraFlex hose, install the FloraFlex square matrix on top of a matrix pad, and then add the round matrix circulator. The rockwool is thick enough for the spikes on the round circulator, so it shouldn’t move around at all.

Thoughts?

2 Likes

You can just save all that hassle and just use a flora cap not sure why you want a circular matrix … I would just add a clip and flora line to the flora cap and call it a day …but that’s my two cents I’ve been using flora for a long time now and it’s best to just keep it simple as you can

3 Likes

I was thinking about the matrix and the pad to prevent algae growth in the rockwool. I tried using aluminum foil to shade it, but it has proven to be a pain in the ass to keep in place.

I’ll take a look at using a flora cap. That may actually work better!

2 Likes

So is this what your using now?

And your thinking of using the square rockwool medium?

For something like this…

Photo by FloraFlex® 💦 on May 16, 2020. Image may contain: plant

That works like this…

Photo by FloraFlex® 💦 on March 15, 2020. Image may contain: plant

2 Likes

Thinking about using a cap on an 8”x8” rockwool block, not a super thick block. Then surrounding that with clay balls, maybe with some coco mixed in. There isn’t enough vertical height inside the Niwa for a pot, so I would have to use a chunk of rockwool about 3” thick. The current slab is roughly 13” x 8” x 3”.

Reason why I’d add clay around the rockwool is in case the roots expand past the wool so they aren’t exposed.

Now that I think about it I’m making it more complicated than it needs to be, but I’m hard headed and I want to see if my mods can make improve the grow quality and quantity.

1 Like

@Bplatinum9 that’s pretty much what I was thinking, minus the pots.

When my current grow is done I’ll take some pictures of my current setup, you’ll get a better idea what I’m trying to describe.

3 Likes

Have you considered just using a rockwool slab with drip?

Not the best picture but I think you get the idea

3 Likes

Check these pic ideas on instagram.

https://www.instagram.com/floraflex/

2 Likes