SWSVIC’s First Grow (Ever...) ILGM GDP

Undergrowth is growing quickly, hoping to have a real ScrOG going in the Grobo and be able to transition within 1-2 weeks.

2 days ago:

Now:

16 Likes

EXCELLENT work! Wow! Love when someone gets their project, whatever it is, totally dialed in. :grinning:

6 Likes

Appreciate you saying so brother :facepunch:

2 Likes

She’s so healthy and coming in so nice man! Keep up the good work! Can’t wait to see some flowers here!

4 Likes

That makes two of us!

3 Likes

Did you force the bud sites through or do they just go through on their own? I’m just starting my 2nd grow, Granddaddy Black an I would like to try this method.

Hey @pkroaster

I did not force them through the grid per se, I allowed it to grow into the screen and guided each branch to the nearest hole in the grid and let them grow about an inch above. I then would tuck them back through and up under the next hole until I had them all positioned how I wanted. Now I have two main colas in the back corners, two in the middle against the outside walls, and two in the front corners. I grew them all in a horizontal fashion allowing the underbrush a ton of light. Now the underbrush is growing rapidly filling out the middle portion of the grid which will in turn complete my ScrOG (Screen Of Green). Eventually this will turn into a plethora of strong colas utilizing every square inch of the box, maximizing efficiency given our small workspace. The whole process has been very zen. I compare the training to that of growing bonsai. I definitely recommend it, as I think both you and your plant will enjoy it. Here she is today (If you can’t tell, I’m F’ing excited :joy:) :

Major shout out to @Bplatinum9 @chris_barfield @Osage @Todd.grobo @vegetato and @Russel_Richardson for getting me this far, your help and advice has been paramount throughout these early stages of my grow. Thank you.

16 Likes

Thanks for the info. My plant will go into early veg tomorrow and I’m going to order the screen and some magnetic hooks. Perhaps I can send you some pics when she gets bigger and get some direction from you if that’s alright.

3 Likes

Absolutely, I’d be happy to. :call_me_hand:

1 Like

Yea man your doing a good job lol … just when you thought that plant was dud lol

4 Likes

Just didn’t know a damn thing about breeders/genetics when I purchased these beans (still don’t, but I’m learning haha). I’m just excited to get to the wild shit I have lined up for my next 100 grows :joy:

5 Likes

Day 50 (26 of 35 Late Veg.):

Added one more week to late veg. To allow the undergrowth to catch up to the main branches. Hoping for a robust and even canopy at the end of the 35 day period. This will make my vegetation period a total of 7 weeks which is within my plan for this grow as I accounted for 5 to 7 weeks veg. time.

Check her out!

Questions & Observations:

1. You will notice some distress on a few upper leaves, I am attributing this to the fact that there are quite a few abrasive points on my ScrOGing Grid. Once the canopy grows above it I supposed it won’t be an issue. Is this normal for a plant undergoing ScrOG training? I am extremely delicate when moving the branches down the grid, hoping this won’t have any ill effects other than cosmetic imperfections.

2. My main branches in the back corners and against the middle wall are outpacing the front branches and undergrowth in grow speed. Wondering if there is something I can do to even them out. I am considering using command hooks affixed to the very bottom of the side walls (where the reservoir lid meets the wall) with flexible soft plant tie downs to pull the branches down so that they are more level with the rest of the canopy. On the other hand I am wondering if these branches would be good candidates for vegetative Super Cropping. Any expert advice on this would be GREATLY appreciated!

3. My plant seems to be taking in far more nutrients than many if not all of the other grows that I am following or have reviewed here on All Growers. I am 50 days into my grow and it appears that after three more drain/fills (assuming the dosage stays the same) I will need to replace bottles 3, 4, and 5. The water that I drained from my reservoir today had an EC of 2.5 and a PPM700 of 1120. I honestly have no idea if these levels are appropriate however the plant seems perfectly happy. The only reason I question it is that in my research outside of All Growers it appears that many other DWC grower’s ppm is about half of what mine is. Is PPM700 the wrong measurement? Should I be using 500? Are my levels out of whack? Am I out of whack :crazy_face:? @Stephen might you be able to touch on this? Thanks!

1. An update on my “experimental/practice” cuttings: No roots yet but they are doing well in their cup of spring water. (I have been changing the water every other day). Hoping I can get them to root! Again this is simply for sport as I have no where to grow them once they take root.

Water Change Stats:

Water Out:
pH: 6.0
EC: 2.5
PPM700: 1120
Gallons Out: 1.7

Water In:
Solution: 3 Gallons Distilled Water (distilled using new countertop water distilled from H20 Labs), 11mL Rhino Skin, 6mL Hydroguard, 7.5mL Revive, 3.75mL Recharge, 9 drops pH down.
pH: 6.1
EC: 0.1
PPM700: 40
Gallons In: 2.4

As always thank you all very much for taking the time to review my progress. Please feel free to comment, advise, criticize, or question!

Grow well,

SWSVIC

ADDITION:

I forgot to mention that I also cleaned her up a bit this morning immediately after her water change. I removed a good amount of growth from the lower portion of the plant that was no longer receiving light or getting in the way of other prioritized growth.

8 Likes

I always like your updates @SWSVIC. Been following your grow since the start!

Your plant looks super healthy and awesome! I can see a few really nice colas forming with what you have going on there. Well done sir!

Being new, I can’t really help with advice on anything else. However, in regards to the nutrient bottles and dispensing, it looks like the intervals are all aligned and spaced out as one would expect. I think the nutes are dispensed every drain/fill at a set rate based on the recipe and growth stage. I believe 3,4,5 usage look normal. Have you done 7 drain/fills? Nice work on conserving the PH bottles 1 and 2. I started doing that as well by pre-adjusting the ph before loading it into the grobo.

Grand Daddy Purple is going to turn out amazing!

3 Likes

Thanks @miami5th

Yes, today was the 7th drain/fill. I honestly am only pHing my water due to Rhino Skin usage as it sends the pH quite high. Definitely looking forward to the next phases of growth, transition & flower.

2 Likes

@SWSVIC Rhino Skin’s website says that it’s pH neutral, 5.7.

1 Like

Advanced Nutrients “says” a lot of things, I’ve noticed many inconsistencies with their claims and actual user experience reports. I like their products, I do however wish they would tone down the silly salesmanship on their site.

I know it is part of their pH perfect line, so perhaps there is a chance that it is an interaction between it and one of my other additives as I am using products from outside their line. However, I researched it’s use as it relates to DWC growing and found numerous recommendations suggesting the applicator allow it to sit for an hour or two after mixing it into your solution as Si is alkaline and causes pH to spike as a result. After this time period has passed you then add your pH down and finally fill your reservoir with the solution. I can attest that this is indeed the case. Each time I’ve used it I have witnessed the pH climb. I did not have this issue prior to introducing it to my pre-fill solution.

I do highly recommend the use of Si (Rhino Skin or Power Si which I plan on trying next grow). My branches are wildly strong and very pliable, making training far less daunting. I am yet to see what benefits it adds as far as yield, and to be honest I won’t be able to compare to anything personally as this is my first grow and I don’t plan on growing without it in the future. That said, these products come highly recommended by “those who know” and I have enjoyed using Rhino Skin thus far.

4 Likes

I figured you had done your research, and I do agree that AN claims are a bit much.

2 Likes

I love how you mark the bottles with the same color across each bottle, and then swap the colour for the next drain. Gives a great visual reference (over time) as to where the bottles move the most!

8 Likes

Day 57 (day 33 of 35 Late Veg.)

She is ready for transition and I am very excited to say I will not be extending late veg. any further! Cannot wait to watch her stretch and eventually flower! Today I performed a water change and completely changed up my solution. I have pulled Recharge and Revive from my lineup and added a product called MammothP (at 1/3 recommended dosage). My ppm and EC were running high with my previous solution (See water change stats below), so I submitted a ticket (shoutout Danielle :handshake:) as well as consulted with a very knowledgeable source here on AG. It appeared that with the additives that I was utilizing it may have been blocking my plant from taking in the amount of nutrients that she should, thus causing nutrients to “build up” in my reservoir. That said she is perfectly happy and healthy so whatever was being taken in she was liking haha. I am happy to be back to clear water.

Mammoth P

Blue Bucket = Old Water, White Bucket = New Water

Pictures:

Questions & Observations:

-I guess it’s not a big issue but the deformed leaves up against the walls bug the hell out of me :joy:, have to work with what we’ve got space wise!

-I chose not to defoliate at all with this water change as I wish to let her grow as much as possible in her last couple days of Veg. I will be conducting another water change and the first of 3 significant lollipopping defoliations this Friday, her first day of Transition. Love the way the middle/center potion is filling out!

-I am still slightly ,confused as to when I should introduce Bud Candy and Big Bud. As per the instructions on the bottle Bud Candy is to be used all through Bloom phase and Big Bud is to be used weeks 2, 3, and 4 of Bloom phase. What constitutes “Bloom Phase” and is Transition considered to be a part of it? I.e. do I start Bud Candy this Friday when she enters Transition and start Big Bud after week 1 of Flower, or do I start Bud Candy the first day of Flowering and Big Bud the second week of Flowering?

-Upon further research it does appear that what I have done as far as training is technically not ScrOGing haha. That said I do plan on adding another screen further up and using the correct method this time around. I will be forcing all branches to stay below the higher Screen until week 2 of flower, at which point I will allow them to grow through the screen or possibly remove the screen completely. The idea is to finish plant growth with as close to a “flat” top canopy as possible. I will document these training efforts here when the time comes.

Water Change Specs:

Water Out:

Solution from last week: 3 Gal. Distilled Water, 11mL Rhino Skin, 6mL Hydroguard, 7.5mL Revive, 3.75mL Recharge.

EC: 2.2
PPM700: 1570 (HIGH!)
Gallons: 2.0 (Three top-offs this week)

Water In:

New Solution: 3 Gal. Distilled Water, 11mL Rhino Skin, 6mL Hydroguard, 0.6mL Mammoth P.

EC: 0.0 (Previous solution was 0.1)
PPM700: 0 (Previous solution was 40)

See nutrient bottle levels below:

As always please post any and all questions, comments, advice, and criticisms! Thank you all once again for keeping up with my first grow!

Grow Well,
SWSVIC

13 Likes

I’m interested on the big bud end. Just picked some up as I’m beginning flower. @Bplatinum9 uses big bud maybe she can chime in on strength used?

3 Likes