Smells during early vegetative phase?

My partner is complaining that my early vegetative state plant is starting to stink up the room. I only sense a mild odor. Is it normal for the plant to smell this early?

And the smell seems to be coming through the closed door.

LSD strain FYI

6 Likes

Your partner and you have an EXTREMELY heightened sense of smell. I’ve never had plants noticed by anyone in early or late veg by smell…always flower. Is your carbon filter installed? Maybe it psychological as you know it’s growing?

7 Likes

Carbon filter is installed. I can smell a plant. Not weed smell. She is freaking out about the supposed weed smell.

4 Likes

I don’t really know, but we bought on Amazon a PlasmaWave Air Purifier to be prepared in case of smell. Pretty big, but should work nice. Winix 5500-2.

3 Likes

The fact that you can smell just a plant is impressive. I can have mine in late veg, huge, and stick my head in the tent and notice no difference. Maybe the below is something you need if that’s the case? PM @KeefGreenLeef

5 Likes

Thanks. I DMd him a while back. Never heard back. Have a BlueAir HEPA filter arriving tomorrow.

4 Likes

I think a few people have reached out recently. Checking his profile the last time he logged in was 6/26 so maybe he’s inundated with requests. A HEPA air purifier should help though…i think. I LOVE the smell filling my house in flower so it’s never been a concern for me.

4 Likes

I hear you. Left to my own devices I wouldn’t mind it. Maybe love it. May have to chose between my new hobby and my uppity gf.

3 Likes

I’ve noticed that the plants can smell like a tomato plant in the veg state. While in veg I don’ think it smells like cannabis but more like some other vegetable plant.

I have two of KiefGreenLeaf’s odor mods and I am very happy with them! I did upgrade the setup with a 4" cloudline fan. Even in late flower there is nearly no smell coming from the machine.

5 Likes

One thing to note, at least on my first and last grow, is that the plant smelled a lot more whenever the lights was shutting off, and to some extend, during dark time.
What you could potentially try on your next grow is shifting the schedule to turn off the light when you’re usually not arroudn in the room.

If you try different strain, you can also use ones that don’t smell a lot, I know my banana kush had a faint flowery scent like you describe, but the purple bud from my friend was basically odourless in the room.

4 Likes

My plants have a “plant” smell in late Veg… But the only time I smell it is when I open the door

8 Likes

My last grow was lsd and from early on it was very strong smelling, my grobo is in the basement and as soon as I walked in the house I could smell it STRONG, but I love the fragrance of a good bud so I didn’t care, it’s just that strain, I’m running Tangerine dream now and can’t smell it till I open the door on the grobo

4 Likes

Haha! This is relatable. Sorry to laugh but I understand your pain.

My current grow in the Grobo is a Critical Purple Auto. It has a seriously pungent skunky sweet smell whenever I remove any leaves. Otherwise, it smells like a tomato plant; somewhat sweet and green, kind of grassy and wet (or dewy?). Either way, I would recommend purchasing an intake fan w/ carbon filter attachment and leaving that next to your Grobo. Though, this is expensive.

That is something my friend does if we will be smoking inside. We just leave the 4” intake fan plugged in on the floor with the air sucking through the carbon filter/air scrubber.

Another note: The fans could be considered loud so it also acts as white noise, if that bothers you I would utilize other routes. But this one is by far the most effective.

I hope this helps! Best of luck to you and your situation! :slight_smile:

5 Likes

Ona is the product you need…
My grobo have extra light, so extra heat… I have to leave the door open to avoid overheat, i even removed the air filter…
Yet, with this product, my wife don’t even smell my planthttps://onaonline.com/product/ona-gel/

4 Likes

I smell my plants in the vegg state as well. We use the ONA canisters and have pretty good success with them.

Hopefully your partner can chill…

3 Likes

Still waiting on ours, but would a large room size Hepa filter with plasma wave, ie remove VOC smells and stuff like that be enough? This will be in a 5x8 room and we can put the air purifier in it if needed.

Do it! I did and now I walk around my place with a smile while breathing the sweet delicious smells in.

4 Likes

There is some one :point_up:t4: here making an selling mod that u attach to ur unit might wanna look :eyes: him up :arrow_up: but since I’ve been growing no I have never smelled :nose: a plant :seedling: smell like weed that early :+1:t2::dash::seedling:

4 Likes

Rookie question…which side goes up on the filter in the grobo?

1 Like

On ur carbon filter :+1:t2::dash::seedling:

1 Like